Combine MakeMKV and Handbrake

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Seth01123

Combine MakeMKV and Handbrake

Post by Seth01123 »

Hi everyone, first poster here. I’ve been browsing this forum and searching google for this solution but I am not able to find what I’m looking for. I apologize if this has been covered in a different post.

My setup is as follows:
PMS on Mac Mini
Synology NAS
Clients are AppleTV, PS4 and Xbox one

I am using MAKE to rip my blu-ray collection and then handbrake to compress. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the rip and 2-3 hours for the compression.
I watched a YouTube video where the guy copied some dll files from the MAKE folder in program files into his handbrake folder. Doing this allowed handbrake to rip the dvd and compress the dvd all in one action.
This could be really useful because then I could set the whole process up and not have to come back after thirty mins to start the compression after MAKE finishes the rip. The problem is the guy did it in windows and I’m not sure how it could be done in macOS. Or if it’s possible.

I probably did not explain this too well so below is the YouTube video title in case anyone wants to see how he did it:

“How to Make a Digital Backup Copy of DVD & Blu-Ray Discs FAST Using MakeMKV HandBrake & GPU Encoding”

Does anyone know how to do this for Mac? Any feedback/info is appreciated, thanks!
mike admin

Re: Combine MakeMKV and Handbrake

Post by mike admin »

You can do this, but this is a pain. Handbrake now uses "hardened runtime" aka "sandbox" - so the app is very restricted.
You need the latest handbrake and MakeMKV later than 1.16.1 . MakeMKV should detect handbrake in preferences-integration. All support from MakeMKV side is there.

However, handbrake is inside app sandbox, and MakeMKV's libmmbd engine inherits these sandbox restricitions. Due to permissions set by handbrake developers, handbrake app itself can't access network. So, if you need to decrypt UHD content, you'll have to download key files manually and put them into a folder inside handbrake container.
Or, build your own version of handbrake that runs outside of sandbox.
Or, get a developer Id with Apple, change handbrake permissions and re-sign with your dev key.
Or bring this issue to a handbrake team.

This is all done by Apple only for your own safety, to protect you from viruses and malicious software. Always keep this in mind and be happy!!!
Seth01123

Post by Seth01123 »

Thanks for the reply. I’m only working with 1080p blu rays and have no plans to rip UHD. Would it be feasible since I don’t plan on doing any UHD’s?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Have you considered alternative strategies?

MakeMKV can use more than one optical drive at a time. I personally have two drives. Others on this forum have 3 or more. You can start multiple instances of MakeMKV (goto Preferences->IO->Ask for single drive mode to make it easy) and rip multiple discs at once.

Handbrake has a CLI (https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/cli ... tions.html). Since it takes longer to compress than it does to rip, you could easily rip a few discs in short order with multiple drives and end up with hundreds of hours of Handbrake compute time in a script.

Also, MakeMKV has a CLI too (https://www.makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt). You can rip from the command line then encode. There's a whole group of folks who only use MakeMKV without a GUI. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23543
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Seth01123 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:56 pm
Thanks for the reply. I’m only working with 1080p blu rays and have no plans to rip UHD. Would it be feasible since I don’t plan on doing any UHD’s?
It should just work then.