MakeMKV on Raspberry PI (ARM)

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV

Would you have use for MakeMKV on a RPi?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Definitely!
63%
Maybe...
6%
No, I don't need that on my RPi
16%
No, I don't own a RPi
16%
What is a Raspberry Pi?
No votes

Total votes: 32

batchman

MakeMKV on Raspberry PI (ARM)

Post by batchman »

I'm a happy user of MakeMKV which I use for playing my many LEGALLY purchased Blu Rays on among other things my Raspberry Pi. What I would be very happy for is support to run MakeMKV on ARM in order to be able to rip my discs directly onto my fileserver from the living room.

If the developers of MakeMKV would be willing to provide binaries for Raspberry Pi, I would happily send them one as a token of my appreciation. For more info on the Pi HW:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

With hope of an ARM-port I just want to say thank you for a great piece of software!
austingrd

Re: MakeMKV on Raspberry PI (ARM)

Post by austingrd »

Personally, I don't own an RPi but I wouldn't mind if this gets developed.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
gman529

Post by gman529 »

I saw in another post that Mike said it won't be difficult to get makemkvcon to be built with ARM compatibility. I have an extra raspberry pi that if Mike wants I will gladly send it to him for testing purposes.
techman83

Post by techman83 »

Would be happy to assist in testing! I am curious as to wether the pi has enough resources for makemkv though.
Bluray-fan

Post by Bluray-fan »

I for one, would love to see MakeMKV available on RaspberryPi.

I have recently bought one with the intention of making a headless Bluray ripper. The idea being that as soon as I return home with my nice new shinny disc's, I can put one in the drive, wait X amount of time & when it opens go put another one in. Obviously the Pi's low processing power may take a while, but that's the beauty of the box, it can sit happily on the shelf doing its thang.
Sounded like a simple project, but I cannot find any ripping software for Pi. I am sure I'm not the only one with this in mind & somebody may be missing out on some sales (well, one at least) :D
archer72

Post by archer72 »

Bluray-fan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm
I for one, would love to see MakeMKV available on RaspberryPi.

I have recently bought one with the intention of making a headless Bluray ripper. The idea being that as soon as I return home with my nice new shinny disc's, I can put one in the drive, wait X amount of time & when it opens go put another one in. Obviously the Pi's low processing power may take a while, but that's the beauty of the box, it can sit happily on the shelf doing its thang.
Sounded like a simple project, but I cannot find any ripping software for Pi. I am sure I'm not the only one with this in mind & somebody may be missing out on some sales (well, one at least) :D
I second this idea. A little late, but I hope this is developed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As you can see by the age of this topic, there hasn't been much movement on this in 7 years...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
A0dIwVcSvG

Post by A0dIwVcSvG »

I would love to be able to use MakeMKV together with Kodi on the Raspberry PI to play Blu Rays.
xhabu01

Post by xhabu01 »

I would love to see a Raspberry PI version MakeMVK... I believe it could be a huge hit... I would use it in place of my aging Linux system... Thanks for consideration.
scott31415

Post by scott31415 »

I could use this as well. What would it take to get a Raspberry Pi port?
Bouzin

Post by Bouzin »

Hi,

The Raspberry Pi 4 become a real small desktop computer with these 8 GB of RAM :D

which allows me to have an economical desktop pc in electricity

I hope to see Makemkv on my ubuntu 64 (Pi) :wink:

Bravo for this software
Best regards
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Just so that everyone is aware, the network speed on a Pi will affect how fast MakeMKV can rip, if you're saving to the network.

I just had an episode where my NAS was isolated on a 100Mb/s circuit by a bad cable. MakeMKV was constantly complaining that it was limited by write speed at anything above 4x ripping, and it would be over a minute after a rip finished before it finished writing the cached data to the NAS. Fixing the cable and getting a gigabit connection back, I could run 3 instances of MakeMKV without seeing a write slowdown.

It was a reminder of when I experimented with MakeMKV on an Atom-based Windows "cube" computer, with USB connectivity and a 100Mb/s network connection. It works, but it is frustratingly slow. Reading from the USB BD drive was fine; but, like the problem with the net cable above, it would take several minutes after the rip finished before it could move on to the next title. The drive would stop spinning while it waited for the buffer to finish writing.

The Pi series have the further disadvantage that the network port is a USB->Ethernet adapter that is embedded in the board. While chip will communicate with the network at full net speed (100 or 1000 Mb/s, depending on the Pi model), the Pi->adapter interface speed is not that fast. The adapter also shares the USB chip with the other USB devices, like the optical drive, so your bandwidth is further reduced.

Unless you REALLY need to save power, it's more of a "neat hack" than a "functional solution".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
djbckr

Post by djbckr »

I too was wondering this, and even got to the point of compiling the oss linux part successfully. But when I got to the bin part, it only supports amd64 and i386. Bummer. Even the installation of ffmpeg on the latest rpi is up to date and has all the codecs you could ever want. I've paid for a license for MakeMKV, I'd be willing to pay a bit more for another port of it to the armv7l (RPi 3 B+)
thehappychappie

Post by thehappychappie »

I'm completely up for a Raspberry Pi compatible version of makemkv as well.
I want to digitise my large stash of DVDs/BluRays and then throw the originals in the loft where I can't see them!
(And I'll stream the ripped versions through Plex or similar.)
donut

Post by donut »

I disagree with Woodstock. I purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB ram and it is working fine as a desktop replacement. The pi is more than capable of playing the bluray rips. I haven't tried uhd rips on it yet, but they should work just fine. I am using an odroid for that. The network speed of the Pi 4 is a full gigabit. There should be no issues ripping mkv across the network with a pi 4.

FWIW, the oss did compile just fine on the pi. It did take 3 minutes though.

I have no intention of putting windows on the Pi just to rip video, but I guess if nothing happens, I will have to consider it. Maybe I could try WINE. Does anyone know if makemkv runs in wine?