OT :Kubuntu:unable to copy large file to usb flash drive

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Pajoe

OT :Kubuntu:unable to copy large file to usb flash drive

Post by Pajoe »

I can't find much information about this, I purchased a 32 gb usb flash card and tried copying random files to it and get about 30 GB - similar using my desktop similar to using as my wife's laptop kubuntu laptop. I think 30 gig is good, no complaints.

However if I try to copy a 22 GB .mkv movie file made by makemkv it stops at about 4 gig and says the file is too large for the drive. I have tried several times with different files, smaller individual files copy OK but a single, larger 22GB etc made by makemkv does not. Likewise I tried formatting ext3 with similar results, I even tried rsync but that also times outs with an i/o error. Perhaps something with the USB defaults?

Anyone using a USB flash drive with linux that has had similar problems and know how to fix it? I have been using an external usb sata drive but it would be nicer to use a small flash drive rather than a regular external usb drive to carry the movie from my desktop to the media player.

Thanks in advance

joe
Woodstock

Re: OT :Kubuntu:unable to copy large file to usb flash drive

Post by Woodstock »

Reformat the device as NTFS or another format that supports larger files. 4GB is a limitation of FAT32... But, FAT32 is what is "universal" to most operating systems, so that's the "normal" format for flash drives.

Moving to something else pretty much locks you into sticking with one operating system, although Linux and OSX will both read NTFS without much issue. OSX doesn't like to WRITE to NTFS, but Linux will, once you tell it to mount the device as read/write.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Re: OT :Kubuntu:unable to copy large file to usb flash drive

Post by Romansh »

exFAT should work under Windows and OS X, but maybe not Linux and few (if any) hardware players.