Inconsistent ripping when using uhd disk drive alongside dvd drive

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
krios101

Inconsistent ripping when using uhd disk drive alongside dvd drive

Post by krios101 »

Recently I purchased a uhd ready drive from amazon and starting using it alongside my usual dvd drive for converting dvds only.

Today I noticed that when I am ripping using both drives at the same time, my dvd drive will perform as normal but the uhd drive does not work when it is used alongside the dvd drive.(Both are connected via USB 3 ports to a ubuntu box).

The kinds of errors I get are the disk can't be opened. Posix errors, unable to save titles, e.t.c.

The uhd drive works when I only use that one to rip dvds on its own and not in addition to my usual dvd drive. I know the issue is not with the dvds I'm using as they have worked when swapping between drives.

What could be the cause of these issues and how do I fix it? Is it a power draw issue or a firmware issue I need to flash the drive with, if so what firmware should I use from the main thread on it? My main desired fix will be to able to rip dvds on this drive alongside my usual dvd drive and in future blu rays and uhd if my firmware supports it.

For reference here is what makemkv puts out when I plug in my uhd drive. Alongside this the brand I bought on amazon is this one. https://amzn.eu/d/0je7cQZz

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr1
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU4ON
Revision: FRO7
Serial number: [redacted]
Firmware date: 2118-01-22 15:36
Bus encryption flags: 1F
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available
Firmware version: O.FR07]
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched fimmware
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmw
Jnrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firm
d00zah

Re: Inconsistent ripping when using uhd disk drive alongside dvd drive

Post by d00zah »

If you haven't already, open MakeMKV preferences > IO tab > check 'Ask for single drive mode'

On start-up, MakeMKV will now ask which drive an instance of MakeMKV should use exclusively. This prevents any interference between instances.

As to the drive, FW won't make much difference for DVDs, but will enable LibreDrive for BDs/UHDs. Consult the guide (1st post) for recommended FW & instructions.
krios101

Post by krios101 »

Thanks for the info. Based on the linked thread the firmware I chose was the bu 40 for the LG slim, would that have been correct based on the info provided above? I didn't proceed with the flash as I wanted to be sure it was the right one to try fixing the inconsistent read issues.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

krios101 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:57 pm
Thanks for the info. Based on the linked thread the firmware I chose was the bu 40 for the LG slim, would that have been correct based on the info provided above? I didn't proceed with the flash as I wanted to be sure it was the right one to try fixing the inconsistent read issues.
Correct. BU40N on any Firmware directly to > BU40N 1.03MK (the one you have)

Refer to section "Mac/linux commands to flash." No disc in drive. Tray closed.
krios101

Post by krios101 »

Thanks for the confirmation. In the event that something goes wrong with the flash, on linux is there any commands I can run to create a backup of the firmware before I flash so I can rollback if needed?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

krios101 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:27 am
Thanks for the confirmation. In the event that something goes wrong with the flash, on linux is there any commands I can run to create a backup of the firmware before I flash so I can rollback if needed?
Don't think so. Even backups made w/ the SDFtool Flasher aren't entirely helpful. Most failsafe option is on Windows, using the tool... NO VMs. Recommended recovery method is 'official' manufacturer FW update tool.
htnut4ever

Post by htnut4ever »

Hello!

I have a BU40N slim drive in an enclosure labelled "ECD819-SU3". When using the SDFtool it identifies the drive, and puts a green checkmark next to "encrypted". But when I select any .bin to flash and click "START", nothing happens.

I tried running on a command line, but it returns a message that "e: drive not found". Even though the e: drive is accessible (in explorer and also in the command prompt).

I'm afraid it might be an issue with my enclosure but I don't have any other mini sata adapter to try with. Can someone please tell me a known compatible cable or enclosure that I can try?

Thank you.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

htnut4ever wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:27 pm

I'm afraid it might be an issue with my enclosure but I don't have any other mini sata adapter to try with. Can someone please tell me a known compatible cable or enclosure that I can try?

Thank you.
The guide has some recommendations. I recently bought & successfully used the 'Alxum SATA IDE to USB 3.0 Hard Drive Adapter'.
htnut4ever

Post by htnut4ever »

Thanks. I missed that section of the guide. Appreciate the tip of Alxum, too.
krios101

Post by krios101 »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:42 pm
krios101 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:27 am
Don't think so. Even backups made w/ the SDFtool Flasher aren't entirely helpful. Most failsafe option is on Windows, using the tool... NO VMs. Recommended recovery method is 'official' manufacturer FW update tool.

Thanks for this, I'll take a look around for the manufacturer firmware.

SOLVED:
For other info my original issue was resolved where my second drive was disconnected. Turns out the keyboard I was using, an older mac keyboard was drawing too much power from my mini computer which meant the drive kept disconnecting. So I swapped my keyboard and mouse from occupying two ports for a different one which was combined keyboard and mouse in one USB port, to reduce my power drain and swapped the drive from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port. This allowed for the drive to work as normal alongside my other normal dvd drive.