Where is my ripped movies?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
banagalemr

Where is my ripped movies?

Post by banagalemr »

Hello everyone,

I ripped my first Blu Ray using MakeMKV running in Truenas Scale. On the output folder, this is what I have "/output/TITLE_OF_MOVIE'. I tried in vain to locate the ripped movie but can't find it. I have limited knowledge as far as Linux.

Can you please help? Thank you in advance.
cloaked1

Re: Where is my ripped movies?

Post by cloaked1 »

When you say "ripped", what exactly do you mean? Did you make an MKV? Did you make a backup? What do you mean? What was the command you used or how did you use makemkv GUI?

If you make an mkv, then you should have a title on your machine named after the title with the extension, ".mkv" (provided the rip was successful), and it *should* be something you have configured in makemkv. If you made a backup, however, then for blurays, you're get a directory of the contents of the bluray in the directory you have configured in makemkv. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to answer your question until you provide some more details.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think the key to the OP's confusion is the mention of TrueNAS Scale.

That implies that MakeMKV might be running in a docker container, or linux VM, or whatever. So the location of the output of MakeMKV would be relative to whatever the config of the container is. It could be configured any number of ways. Are there multiple pools in the OP's TrueNAS config? I think you might even be able to have multiple TrueNAS servers in a cluster using TrueNAS Scale, but I don't have any experience with it.
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies.

To be clear. I used the GUI to rip my disk, I would like to have a mkv. On the gui the output destination is "/output/name of my movie. I did not change the destination. After the job finished, I went into Truenas shell to locate the "output" directory. But I could not find that directory. I am not sure if I configured the installation correctly.

I have 2 pools and not running any VM(too complicated for me). If it sits in the container, how do I access that? Is there a log file that will tell me the correct path of the destination folder?

Thanks.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

How did you install MakeMKV?
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

I installed MakeMKV by way of the Apps in Truenas. Just click install. Due to my limited knowledge of Linux, I left most of the parameters in default mode.

I mainly use Truenas as my Plex and Jellyfin server. So my idea was to rip my blu ray directly on this machine running TrueNas.

Thanks.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

If you go to your TrueNAS dashboard, can you find MakeMKV in there? Maybe there's an App tab or something? I don't have any experience with TrueNAS Scale to know exactly what it is called. I know for TrueNAS Core, you can go to Plugins, expand a plugin that's installed, say Plex, and find the configured mount points. There's undoubtedly something similar for TrueNAS Scale's Apps.
flojo

Post by flojo »

A container will create a private like namespace on the host system where the container seems to be in isolation from the host system, so the root directory, or uppermost directory, will be defined by the container. That root or uppermost directory for the container will exist on the host system as well, but it can be anywhere on the host system.

Your program lists a directory of "/output", so that directory will be somewhere on the host system, possibly in your $USER directory, but it could be anywhere. I use Openmediavault/Debian, so I'm not sure about TrueNAS, but you should have access to the command 'find'.

ssh into your NAS and run the below command. 'find' will take some time to complete.

Code: Select all

find / -type d -name "output"
If you get a bunch of "Permission denied" without finding the directory you want, then you need to run find with 'sudo' (ie. 'sudo find . -type...') or as the 'root' user.
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

Hello, and thanks for your replies.

Based on your feedbacks, these are what I have done so far:

1) MakeMKV provided some info on the program (i.e version number...) but no mount point can be located.

2) Tried "find" command to search for the "output" directory. It did find several but my MKV file isn't there.

This screenshot might be useful

This is a different "/" (root) from what I have. When I do an "ls" on my root there is no output directory.
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

flojo

Post by flojo »

If you've checked every "output" directory and your file(s) aren't found, then it's likely not working or the files are moved after creation.

Run:

Code: Select all

find / -type f -iname "*.mkv"

Good luck
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

The find command did not find any *.mkv.

Anyway, I've given up. Maybe one day by chance, I will come across this file. I will just continue ripping using Windows on my laptop. I appreciate all the efforts who responded to this issue.

Thanks again.
danieljustin84

Post by danieljustin84 »

I am far from being an expert with TrueNAS Scale. I'm trying to do the same thing you are but my optical drive is connected via sata and the app does not detect it. But, as far as the directory, you need to set that in the app settings. There is a menu for output directory and you have to put the path there. You will also need to give the app access rights to that folder. I do not know where the default folder is. You might be able to look at all the folders available in the makemkv app as well. I saw all the folders there and not just the one I had allowed it.
banagalemr

Post by banagalemr »

Problem solved. Finally, I found my .mkv. Thanks for your reply danieljustin84. I went back to the installation of makemkv in truenas and made some modifications. I put a path for the output as you suggested. And finally worked. I can now see my mkv. When I installed makemkv, I chose all the defaults as I am not familiar with Linux. Somehow the installation in truenas has so many parameters. I installed makemkv on my laptop running Ubuntu using docker install and it's a breeze. Only few parameters to fill in.

Somehow I still don't understand where those directories reside in my system (referring to the picture). I searched and searched inside the containers hoping to find those. But nowhere to be found. I still have two 30gb mkv file lurking around. Someday, I will come across it.

Thanks for your help.

As far as your optical drive is concerned, what system are you running? In my case I have to mount my blu ray using the "mount /dev/cdrom {/name} for makemkv to detect it. I have to do it each time I boot my machine, But I found a way to permanently mount the blu ray. I used "lsblk" command to list all devices mounted and where. I hope this helps.

Thank you to all who replied to this thread. I will start now ripping.