DVD drive naming

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
techie716

DVD drive naming

Post by techie716 »

Hi, I am running Linux mint 21.1 and the newest available MakeMKV. I have 6 drives that are all the same hardware name. It makes it difficult when using MakeMKV to know which drive is which. Is it possible somehow for MakMKV To either configure it so that each drive can be named such as Disk 1, Disk 2, or etc. Or at least could it display the drive name as the name of the disk inserted? I will be paying for it as soon as get some bugs worked out and know that it will do what I want.

Thank you ,
Dusty
georgesgiralt

Re: DVD drive naming

Post by georgesgiralt »

Hello,
As far as I can tell, MakeMKV does not name drives by itself. It takes the names given by the underlying OS. And the Linux kernel name the first DETECTED drive as /dev/sr0, the next detected one gets /dev/sr1, and so on.
Modifying this behaviour to ensure that each drive is and stay the same with same name and order depend on how your drives are connected ....
SATA, USB via an adapter, and so on...
So if you want to ascertain how and which drive get first position, you must tell us more about your hardware.
arthomnix

Re: DVD drive naming

Post by arthomnix »

The /dev/srX device files are also symlinked in /dev/disk/by-id and /dev/disk/by-path, which should be unique for each drive. (For example, /dev/sr0 on my system can also be accessed as /dev/disk/by-id/ata-MATSHITABD-CMB_UJ162_WQ33_051195 or /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-3). Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to get MakeMKV to show these.