MakeMKV not behaving as expected on Kubuntu 22.10

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
jacrider

MakeMKV not behaving as expected on Kubuntu 22.10

Post by jacrider »

I am new to MakeMKV and don't know if it should work for what I want to do, but I haven't succeeded yet. I have a DualDisc with CD on one side and DVD on the other. The DVD side has the contents of the CD in Dolby surround sound plus some videos. I would like to extract the Dolby surround sound version of the album, but I am unable to do so.

The data I want is title 1 from the DVD which contains 13 chapters. The videos are in 4 additional titles. The MKV files for the video chapters appear to be fine. However the MKV file for title 1 has the menu but only contains audio for the first two chapters. I can't find any settings that would affect this behavior and don't know if this is normal for MakeMKV.

I have tried both the Snap version from the Ubuntu repository and building it myself from source. Both are version 1.17.3 and I am running it on Kubuntu 22.10.
Multiverse

Re: MakeMKV not behaving as expected on Kubuntu 22.10

Post by Multiverse »

jacrider

Re: MakeMKV not behaving as expected on Kubuntu 22.10

Post by jacrider »

I have since tried a few other DVDs and have not encountered any other serious problems (I did get a popup with one DVD that read "It appears that you are opening the disc processed by DvdFab/MacTheRipper which is known to produce damaged VOB files. Errors may follow - please use original disc instead." It was the original disc, not a copy, and I didn't encounter any other errors with it.) So I still don't know why that first disc didn't work. The only things that I am aware of that make it different than others I've tried are that it was a DualDisc (DVD on one side, CD on the other; however, only one of the titles wouldn't work, so that doesn't appear likely), most of the videos I've converted to MKV using MakeMKV only contain one or two chapters and the one that failed had 13 (although the DVD that MakeMKV mistakenly identified as a copy had two titles with 17 and 15 chapters), and the title that wouldn't work was a Dolby surround sound audio version of the CD album contained on the other side of the disc, not a video. I suspect this last may the reason MakeMKV didn't work as expected. I have some other DualDiscs with similar data that I would like to eventually convert but haven't got to yet, so I will have to try some of them and see if they all experience the same problem.