Using MakeMKV and VLC on MX Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
elcepi

Using MakeMKV and VLC on MX Linux

Post by elcepi »

Hi,

I use MX Linux as my regular machine. I want to use MakeMKV to decode BlueRay with VLC. So I get a registration (on the About window it find the registration) but on when I go to the integration tab no VLC is shown. I'm using MakeMKV version 1.17.3 and VLC 3.0.18. Any advise?
mr.fuzzypants

Re: Using MakeMKV and VLC on MX Linux

Post by mr.fuzzypants »

I'm using Kubuntu 23.04 and MakeMKV 1.17.5 and I too don't see any integration, but looking in the gui's preferences can be a bit misleading. The documentation here: https://www.makemkv.com/libmmbd/ says:
The way this library works, it launches a MakeMKV instance in background and communicates with MakeMKV in order to get decryption keys - so working MakeMKV is required for the library to function.
Which made me wonder if it is somehow happening automatically.

Make sure makemkv isn't open. `ps aux | grep makemkv | grep -v grep` shouldn't yield any output. Then, monitor your processes via `watch -n 1 'ps aux | grep makemkv | grep -v grep` and then open a bluray in mpv or vlc (I chose mpv).

In another shell I executed `mpv bd:// --bluray-device=/dev/sr1` the disc started playing and magically in my process list makemkvcon showed up: `/bin/makemkvcon guiserver A0001+std`. So, integration is auto-magically applied.

I was hoping that mpv would be able to choose the appropriate playlist so I could defeat bluray playlist obfuscation. That is my current problem and haven't successful finding the solution within the forums. I won't give up. LOL. Hope that helps your concerns about integration.
pipo233

Re: Using MakeMKV and VLC on MX Linux

Post by pipo233 »

install aribb24 or aribb25 in order for Vlc to be able to play bluray
Those file names can be different though (i use Arch Linux)

In vlc use file open disc and browse to the disk