Best way to handle individual episodes on season Blu-Ray's

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
4wheels

Best way to handle individual episodes on season Blu-Ray's

Post by 4wheels »

Hi everyone,
So I am happily enjoying my movies with MakeMKV and VLC, but now I've hit a slight snag with my TV series discs. They contain four or five episodes per disc which are usually navigated using the BD menus. However as of yet I have been unable to get any menus working on Blu-Ray. Even if I uncheck No disc menus in VLC, the menus never play, it just skips right to the first episode.

Right now the main issue is that the episodes and individual chapters play out of order, making it very difficult to watch or even find the episode I want to see.
I'm fairly sure I'm not the first one to have this problem, so what's currently the best way to solve this situation?

For reference
- I have java in the default location of /usr/bin/java
- Permissions appear to be correct
- I don't see anything in the logs, error-related, though I can post if it would be helpful.
- I have searched here and in the VLC forums, and the only topic I found was solved by the person reinstalling windows :lol:
dcoke22

Re: Best way to handle individual episodes on season Blu-Ray's

Post by dcoke22 »

I rarely use MakeMKV's integration with VLC, so I'm not of much use there.

What if you just rip the episodes to .mkv files, name them correctly, and play them that way?
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Ripping them is an option... but it would require extra time and (a lot) of disk space.
I'd much prefer to just pop a BD in and play the episodes I want to watch like I do with the movies.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Is there eventually a playlist for all episodes? Quite some shows have some kind of "Play all" button in the menus. There you could see, which m2ts files the episodes are ordered in.
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Ezatoka wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:16 pm
Is there eventually a playlist for all episodes? Quite some shows have some kind of "Play all" button in the menus. There you could see, which m2ts files the episodes are ordered in.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Where would I find this playlist? I'm fairly new to MakeMKV and the online help doesn't mention anything about playlists.
If you're asking about VLC, it only lists a bunch of chapters, and they are in seemingly random order.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

If you open the BluRay with MakeMKV, do you only see titles with the length of the episodes? Or maybe also one title which is quite longer which might contain all of the titles?
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Ezatoka wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 am
If you open the BluRay with MakeMKV, do you only see titles with the length of the episodes? Or maybe also one title which is quite longer which might contain all of the titles?
Thanks for explaining.
I currently can't test, due to MakeMKV breaking after the glibc 2.36 debacle. MakeMKV crashes immediately upon starting.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon, as right now the program is completely unusable in any capacity.