Segmentation fault on Arch Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
TomB19

Re: Segmentation fault on Arch Linux

Post by TomB19 »

The jlesage docker image seems to be working OK.
chowbok

Post by chowbok »

I got in working in a chroot yesterday, so that's a possibility as well.
burgess-m

Post by burgess-m »

glibc 2.36 has now reached openSUSE Tumbleweed in the 20220827 snapshot. The message "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit." appears when launching MakeMKV after updating Tumbleweed.

MakeMKV is provided by the PackMan repository http://packman.links2linux.com/package/makemkv/1027809

I will install the Flatpak as a workaround.
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Is it possible to get VLC integration (libmmbd.so) working with the flatpack version of MakeMKV?
As of now, MakeMKV has been completely unusable for over a week. I even thought about downgrading glibc, but everywhere I look warns that doing so can hose an entire system, and ominous music plays in the background...
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

I even thought about downgrading glibc, but everywhere I look warns that doing so can hose an entire system
Don't do this, it will definitely break your system as this is in the core linux system!

I'm using makemkv on a spare computer where i didn't update glibc, but it is enoying so i hope that mike come up with a solution soon.
mwoliver

Post by mwoliver »

pipo233 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:25 am
I'm using makemkv on a spare computer where i didn't update glibc, but it is enoying so i hope that mike come up with a solution soon.
Indeed, it would be encouraging to see an ack by mike admin about this problem and a "working on it guys" bit of reassurance before we all delve into potentially destructive means to get makemkv working again. The lack of any sort of comment is a bit worrisome given that this has been a top-of-the-page item for close to a month. One could even speculate that the issues are gargantuan and thus moving to flatpak or otherwise is worth the effort. The dearth of information leaves me teetering on the fence, waiting for a fix on one side versus pushing ahead with a flatpak (or other) alternative on the other. I hope we hear something soon.
gary9872

Post by gary9872 »

Thx for the flatpak workaround, but this doesn't work for using the CLI makemkvcon. I'm assuming you have to make your own flatpak launcher?

Flatpak gets me farther... but all rips fail as soon as they start :(
Arch Linux (Rolling)

Drives:

DVDRAM GH24NSC0 Rev, LY00
BD-RE WH16NS4 Rev. 1
gary9872

Post by gary9872 »

pipo233 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:25 am
I even thought about downgrading glibc, but everywhere I look warns that doing so can hose an entire system
Don't do this, it will definitely break your system as this is in the core linux system!
Agreed downgrading only glibc ask for nothing but trouble.

If you are going to downgrade, then everything should be downgraded. I rolled back everything to July 30th via changing the server directives in pacman.conf option. (see link below) Both MakeMKV (GUI) and makemkvcon (CLI) are functioning fine for me now.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_L ... cific_date
Arch Linux (Rolling)

Drives:

BD-RE WH16NS4 Rev. 1
TomB19

Post by TomB19 »

The glibc change has broken other applications (eg: EAC), as well as makemkv. I suspect glibc will revert back to previous behaviour in light of these problems.

In the mean time, I am testing MakeMKV with Ubuntu Focal (all current updates applied) in a jailroot. Everything seems fine, except for these blasted read errors...
mwoliver

Post by mwoliver »

gary9872 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:37 pm
If you are going to downgrade, then everything should be downgraded. I rolled back everything to July 30th via changing the server directives in pacman.conf option. (see link below) Both MakeMKV (GUI) and makemkvcon (CLI) are functioning fine for me now.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_L ... cific_date
This is very good advice for those of us using Arch or Manjaro. I also downgraded my Manjaro ripping machine to 2022-07-30 and everything is back to the way it was with MakeMKV working just fine. It sure is nice to be able to take matters into your own hands and restore functionality when things go sideways like this. For this particular machine, there is no downside for me to downgrade, but I imagine that others are not so fortunate, so again it's distressing and disappointing that this issue has gone completely unanswered publicly.
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

So just to be clear:

1) VLC integration via LibMMBD.so doesn't work with the flatpak version of MakeMKV?
2) There still hasn't been any acknowledgement of this issue from the developer (mike)?

I'm a relatively new Linux user so don't want to go messing with too much. I think downgrading my entire system would be more than I can handle... especially after the advice here :mrgreen:
I just wish there would be some acknowledgement from the dev. Silence makes me uneasy, and makes me think I made a poor decision about my purchase.
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Okay, so I found a working 'band-aid' solution.
I removed the MakeMKV package and installed the flatpak
Then, I installed the flatpak for VLC, vlc.bdj,vlc.fkdaacs, and vlc.makemkv in that order.
Using that configuration seems to work for playing Blu-Ray discs, at least on my system.
I don't know if I broke something else by doing this, so fingers crossed. Hopefully this helps someone else.
burgess-m

Post by burgess-m »

glibc 2.36 is present in the Fedora 37 beta released yesterday. As yet, there is no build of MakeMKV for Fedora 37 in the https://negativo17.org/repos/multimedia/ repo, but reports of this error in Fedora can be expected within the next month.
krutoileshii

Post by krutoileshii »

Same segfaults on arch.

Also - arch re-enabled DT_HASH for the time being in glibc 2.36.2 (current version is 2.36-4)
gary9872

Post by gary9872 »

I can't leave my rolling version be frozen forever so flatpak it is.

If are using flatpak and want to use the CLI program, give this a try.

You can pass argurments to makemkvcon by putting them at the end of the line.

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=makemkvcon com.makemkv.MakeMKV mkv -r dev:/dev/sr0 all /directoryname

Cheers,
Arch Linux (Rolling)

Drives:

BD-RE WH16NS4 Rev. 1