Can't play Blu-Ray discs using any software with MakeMKV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
4wheels

Can't play Blu-Ray discs using any software with MakeMKV

Post by 4wheels »

Hi everyone, new MakeMKV user here, and I'm sorry my first post needs to be a request for help! :mrgreen:

I've spent days searching various forums, reading the man pages, tinkering, and reinstalling packages trying to get this to work on my own. Now I turn to the MakeMKV experts here to help me get this running as I'm tapped-out

My intent is not to rip my movies to internal storage (that works fine with MakeMKV), but rather to play them directly from the optical discs using VLC or any other player that integrates with libmmbd.so.0

My initial setup
After installing makemkv and vlc, I removed libaacs.so and libbdplus.so from/usr/lib/
I then created soft links as follows:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0 /usr/lib/libaacs.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0 /usr/lib/libbdplus.so
I also placed additional links in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ since I read in one forum that it was needed --sadly it didn't solve the issue for me.
I activated the evaluation period in MakeMKV since the website says that it's my responsibility to thoroughly try the software before I buy it (no refunds, etc.) and that all features would work until the trial was over -- for me that date is the end of this month (July 31st) so I would like to get this solved before then.

As far as I can tell, this completes the initial setup.

How I've Tried to Play my Blu-Ray Discs
1. I start MakeMKV and let it read my disc, since the instructions I've found claim that the program needs to run in the background
2. I then start vlc, click Media -> Open disc
3. I select Blu-Ray with "No disc menus"
4. I click the "Play" button.

The problem
VLC proceeds to spin the disc, and something is being read for about seven seconds, then VLC simply shows a still image of what looks like a logo or artwork from the movie, and stays there indefinitely. The playbar never starts (0:00) and scrubbing has no effect.
Nothing ever shows in the MakeMKV log or the "Integration" window -- which I think is just for Windows -- correct me if I'm wrong please!

The VLC log is rather sparse, I have it set to "debug" level, and this is the entire contents from my most recent play attempt:

-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
main: playlist is empty
libbluray: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 3, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 0
libbluray: Closing overlays.
main: end of playlist, exiting
-- logger module stopped --
The results are the same for every BD I try.

Additional info
I'm not sure what you might need, so ask if I didn't include something:

uname -a

5.18.11-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Tue, 12 Jul 2022 15:40:51 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
MakeMKV version: MakeMKV v1.17.0 linux(x64-release)
vlc version: 3.0.17.4 Vetinari

Strangely enough, I can actually play blu-rays through WINE using Leawo Blu-Ray Player (!) -- but I'd much prefer to use a Linux native solution if possible. If nothing else, that proves that it can be done.
pipo233

Re: Can't play Blu-Ray discs using any software with MakeMKV

Post by pipo233 »

As far as i know the only thing you need is this:
Aribb24

Install it from your package manager

Play a blu-ray by using open disc method in vlc
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

pipo233 wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:31 pm
As far as i know the only thing you need is this:
Aribb24

Install it from your package manager

Play a blu-ray by using open disc method in vlc
Thank you! That solved the problem for me!
There were two packages in my repos: Aribb24 and Aribb25. I installed both just to be safe :lol:

Just out of curiosity, is that dependency mentioned in any guides? Am I an idiot and just didn't see it?
In any case, thanks again!
Marking as solved.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

I really don't know if this is documented somewhere, I found this solution on this forum or somewhere on the internet
4wheels

Post by 4wheels »

Just wanted to update this a final time to say thank you to the fine members of this forum and to the MakeMKV developers.
Since switching to Linux, I thought my Blu-Ray discs were forever stuck in limbo and unwatchable. But this software works even better than the software I had on Windows and Mac -- the fact that I can skip the menus and get right to the movie is also a nice bonus.

And the one problem I had was solved quickly in this topic.

Thanks again... worth every penny to buy the license.