Request for an 'armhf' version (32-bit)

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
dtech

Request for an 'armhf' version (32-bit)

Post by dtech »

Several people had previously indicated on other topics in the forum, but now it was time to open a new topic for this request.

Under 64-bit ARM SoCs, many people use 64-bit kernel (aarch64) with 32-bit userspace, because Google’s Widevine DRM does not have a 64-bit support.
On the other hand, makemkv has an aarch64 version, which is working properly, but streaming services don't work under 64-bit userspace.
However, makemkv has a 32-bit version (armel), but it does not work under armhf (due to softfp).

So, now the question is:
Is there any chance to request support for a 32-bit armhf version?

Thanks,
dtech.
mike admin

Re: Request for an 'armhf' version (32-bit)

Post by mike admin »

dtech wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:53 am
Under 64-bit ARM SoCs, many people use 64-bit kernel (aarch64) with 32-bit userspace, because Google’s Widevine DRM does not have a 64-bit support.
On the other hand, makemkv has an aarch64 version, which is working properly, but streaming services don't work under 64-bit userspace.
However, makemkv has a 32-bit version (armel), but it does not work under armhf (due to softfp).
Well, I was about to "fix" this by removing 32-bit arm altogether.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under impression that it is relatively easy to enable multiarch under all flavors of Linux. So, if you have aarch64 kernel, then you can run aarch64 MakeMKV natively, even if your userland is mostly armhf. All you need is to build aarch64 libraries for makemkvcon to work (configure --disable-gui) and then build a GUI and limbbmd for armhf. This way you will have aarch64 makemkvcon but armhf GUI and libmmbd. And this can be done right now.
dtech

Post by dtech »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm
Well, I was about to "fix" this by removing 32-bit arm altogether.
I forgot that I wanted to bring it to life under ARMv7 (e.g. Amlogic S812), but it is natively 32-bit only. Unfortunately, there is no alternative to this, only the armhf.
mike admin wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under impression that it is relatively easy to enable multiarch under all flavors of Linux. So, if you have aarch64 kernel, then you can run aarch64 MakeMKV natively, even if your userland is mostly armhf. All you need is to build aarch64 libraries for makemkvcon to work (configure --disable-gui) and then build a GUI and limbbmd for armhf. This way you will have aarch64 makemkvcon but armhf GUI and libmmbd. And this can be done right now.
The target distribution is LibreELEC, which is a JeOS. Unfortunately, I don't know if its build subsystem can do that at all. At least I don’t think a 32-bit compiled BusyBox can actually run 64-bit binaries or load 64-bit libs.
dtech

Post by dtech »

Mike, you once asked Chewi in the AMRv6/Pi topic that you need to drop armel support in favor of armhf, and you also received confirmation from Chewi that you should drop armel, just provide armhf.

More than a year has passed since then. So what is the reason that no armhf version has been made at all?
The fact is that makemkv is closed source, and you are the only one who can compile the right binary.

If you don’t want to do that I also understand, but the unanswered question is not a very reassuring thing.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please test this one - https://mail.makemkv.com/download/makem ... mhf.tar.gz . Feedback is appreciated.
dtech

Post by dtech »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 am
Please test this one - https://mail.makemkv.com/download/makem ... mhf.tar.gz . Feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, it was very fast. ;)

Unfortunately, I can't test for lack of a drive and disc, I'm just making the package for LibreELEC.
However, the user who actually asked for it will definitely give a feedback today.

All I can say as a positive is that the binary itself does not produce a "Segmentation fault" error, and it lists the arguments that can be used, which is a good sign.

makemkv-armhf.png
makemkv-armhf.png (80.51 KiB) Viewed 7986 times
Samui

Post by Samui »

Hi there,
just would like to let you know that i can confirm that this binary is working. I also tested the playback with an UHD disc. Unfortunately it stopped after some minutes of playback while normal BD's are playing fine including the chapter search.
Thank you very much for made it happen !
dtech

Post by dtech »

It also looks good on S812 (ARMv7, 32-bit only)

makemkv-armhf-wetek_core.png
makemkv-armhf-wetek_core.png (73.85 KiB) Viewed 7973 times
dtech

Post by dtech »

I finally managed to try it on an external DVD-RW drive with DVD-Video disc.

20220630_063906.jpg
20220630_063906.jpg (501.46 KiB) Viewed 7943 times

Edit: missing binaries ('mmgplsrv' and 'mmccextr') added to package bin directory.

Code: Select all

KI-Pro2:~ # makemkvcon mkv disc:0 all downloads/dvd/
MakeMKV v1.17.0 linux(armhf-release) started
Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (17 cell(s), 2:04:23)
Title #2 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 65 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 was added (1 cell(s), 0:04:38)
Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:04:38)
Title #7 has length of 115 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 111 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 107 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #10 has length of 85 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 3 titles into directory file://downloads/dvd/
3 titles saved
Copy complete. 3 titles saved.
makemkv-armhf-vlc-mediainfo.png
makemkv-armhf-vlc-mediainfo.png (19.89 KiB) Viewed 7935 times

Edit 2: I got a new feedback from Samui that 4K Bluray disc playback is also working perfectly now, there was something wrong with the previous attempt, but it is not related to makemkv.
dtech

Post by dtech »

In the meantime, I also tested it under the native 32-bit ARMv7 SoCs: Amlogic S812 (Cortex-A9) and Amlogic S805 (Cortex-A5), and I didn't experience any errors under them either, the armhf version works fine.

Mike, is it possible to expect that armhf version will be a permanent part of the bin package from the next version?
xoocoon

Post by xoocoon »

First of all, thanks to Mike for compiling the armhf binary!

I can confirm it works on a Raspberry 4B with the latest Raspberry OS. makemkvcon can access a blu-ray disc in an external BD/DVD drive attached via USB.

However, I could not get it to work under OSMC (aarch64 kernel 32-bit userland). That is, while makemkv can access local files without any problems, it cannot access the disc in the USB drive via the generic SCSI interface. The sg kernel module is loaded and the drive is visible as /dev/sg0. However, makemkv con show the following error message:

Profile parsing error: default profile missing, using builtin default
Bus access error
I suppose the last line relates to the internal (virtual) SCSI bus.
Last edited by xoocoon on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

dtech wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:14 pm
Mike, is it possible to expect that armhf version will be a permanent part of the bin package from the next version?
Yes.
dtech

Post by dtech »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:04 pm
dtech wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:14 pm
Yes.
Thank you very much, we really appreciate it. :wink:
tw_psycho

Post by tw_psycho »

Hi!
I got stuck with the same thing on Raspberry Pi OS:

pi@raspberrypi:~/makemkv-bin-1.17.6 $ makemkvcon
-bash: /usr/bin/makemkvcon: No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi:~/makemkv-bin-1.17.6 $ file /usr/bin/makemkv
/usr/bin/makemkv: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, BuildID[sha1]=51a7ca2a85cc79bf5dc0392dbdf19f3b4dd23c8b, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped
However the link
mike admin wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 am
doesn't work anymore. Is there any chance mike admin for a new one?

TW
Chewi

Post by Chewi »

The newest release should be fine. Which makemkvcon binary did you actually install? file /usr/bin/makemkvcon would tell us more. You ran it against /usr/bin/makemkv instead.