Linux commandline guidance - 'dev:' option.

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
RazorBag69

Linux commandline guidance - 'dev:' option.

Post by RazorBag69 »

Hello all!

I hope this is the right place, apologies if not and feel free to signpost me to the best place, I'm posting here after some advice in another thread to start a new post.

I'd love some help understanding the syntax of the command line, i'm trying to use it (MakeMKV) in a script and it has worked really well, the difficulty I have is that I've only ever had one optical drive and now have two. My standard use of makemkv is the following command.
makemkvcon backup --decrypt --messages=messages.log" --progress="messages_progress.log" -r drive:0 /home/me/Videos/Rips/MY_OPTICAL_BLUERAY_DISC
Up until now what I would do in the script is take the linux dev source of say
/dev/sr0
strip out the characters to leave the 0 and combine with
disc:
to give makemkv its source drive. I've noticed now that with two drives, makemkv drive number doesn't always match with the /dev drive number.

For example:
makemkv -r info
gives:
MSG:1005,0,1,"MakeMKV v1.16.7 linux(x64-release) started","%1 started","MakeMKV v1.16.7 linux(x64-release)"
DRV:0,0,999,0,"DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT32N A102 KY5A7904700","","/dev/sr1"
DRV:1,2,999,12,"BD-ROM MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ160 1.00 WN63 138789","MY_OPTICAL_BLUERAY_DISC","/dev/sr0"
So makemkv drive 0 is /dev/sr1 and drive 1 is /dev/sr0.

Looking at the command line help...
Source specification:
iso:<FileName> - open iso image <FileName>
file:<FolderName> - open files in folder <FolderName>
disc:<DiscId> - open disc with id <DiscId> (see list Command)
dev:<DeviceName> - open disc with OS device name <DeviceName>
...it looks like I can use the dev option to specify the drive using
/dev/sr0
looking at the command structure of:
makemkvcon [switches] Command [Parameters]
I tried:
makemkvcon -r backup --messages=messages.log" --progress="messages_progress.log" --decrypt <source> <destination folder>
but no matter how I seem to construct the command I just can't seem to get dev: to work with backup. I get the error message:
Backup source must start with "disc:"
What I'm trying to achieve is to decrypt and backup the disc to a directory, divert messages to one file and progress updates to another file using the dev drive as the source

Can anyone help me?