makemkvcon faild to open disc

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
qwrety

makemkvcon faild to open disc

Post by qwrety »

I can't open bdmv folder from harddrive by using makemkvcon in ubuntu 21.04, ( this machine has no optical drive)
"/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits" is a bluray folder on harddisk.

Code: Select all

$ makemkvcon info file:/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits
MakeMKV v1.16.7 linux(x64-release) started
The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Opening files on harddrive at file:///mnt/unraid/resources/source/The Matrix Resurrections 2021 V1 ULTRAHD Blu-Ray 2160p HEVC Atmos TrueHD 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits
Opening files on harddrive at file:///mnt/unraid/resources/source/The Matrix Resurrections 2021 V1 ULTRAHD Blu-Ray 2160p HEVC Atmos TrueHD 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits
Failed to open disc
Total 0 titles
But I can run makemkvcon.exe successfully in windows 11
Anyone can help me?
Woodstock

Re: makemkvcon faild to open disc

Post by Woodstock »

Check the path you're giving it - the backslashes aren't directory separators in Linux, like they are in Windows.

Windows will accept both / and \ as separators, but \ is an escape character for Linux.

Never mind. You're using them correctly. Although you can enclose the path in " characters to cover for the spaces.

MakeMKV may be looking for the index.bdmv file as the "open", rather than the directory.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
qwrety

Post by qwrety »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:15 pm
Check the path you're giving it - the backslashes aren't directory separators in Linux, like they are in Windows.

Windows will accept both / and \ as separators, but \ is an escape character for Linux.

Never mind. You're using them correctly. Although you can enclose the path in " characters to cover for the spaces.

MakeMKV may be looking for the index.bdmv file as the "open", rather than the directory.
Thanks for reply, but if I use "/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits/BDMV" or ""/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits"/BDMV/index.bdmv", it also doesn't work.

Code: Select all

$ makemkvcon info file:/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits/BDMV
Opening files on harddrive at file:///mnt/unraid/resources/source/The Matrix Resurrections 2021 V1 ULTRAHD Blu-Ray 2160p HEVC Atmos TrueHD 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits/BDMV
Opening files on harddrive at file:///mnt/unraid/resources/source/The Matrix Resurrections 2021 V1 ULTRAHD Blu-Ray 2160p HEVC Atmos TrueHD 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits/BDMV
Failed to open disc
Total 0 titles
$ makemkvcon info file:/mnt/unraid/resources/source/The\ Matrix\ Resurrections\ 2021\ V1\ ULTRAHD\ Blu-Ray\ 2160p\ HEVC\ Atmos\ TrueHD\ 7.1-sGnb@CHDBits/BDMV/index.bdmv
Failed to open disc
Total 0 titles 
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Did you compile MakeMKV from source, or install from one of the unofficial packages? The packages seem to need permissions changed when dealing with network resources, per messages posted here.
qwrety

Post by qwrety »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:08 pm
Did you compile MakeMKV from source, or install from one of the unofficial packages? The packages seem to need permissions changed when dealing with network resources, per messages posted here.
I installed makemkv from snap store by using " sudo snap install makemkv --edge" command, but windows's version can deal with network resource. I'm so confused.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that the various "packaged" copies of MakeMKV are given restricted permissions (also referred to "sandboxing") by the package format. If you try to exceed them by accessing a location not outside the limitations, the package manager will deny it.

The same is true of Windows; by default, Windows 10 and later will not allow MakeMKV to access "removable media", which includes optical disks. The difference is really that Mike has control over how the Windows installer asks for permissions; Since he isn't the one doing the Linux packages, though, there isn't much he can do about them.

You can add permissions through the package manager; Someone familiar with snap packaging will have to explain how (I don't know).
qwrety

Post by qwrety »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:21 am
The problem is that the various "packaged" copies of MakeMKV are given restricted permissions (also referred to "sandboxing") by the package format. If you try to exceed them by accessing a location not outside the limitations, the package manager will deny it.

The same is true of Windows; by default, Windows 10 and later will not allow MakeMKV to access "removable media", which includes optical disks. The difference is really that Mike has control over how the Windows installer asks for permissions; Since he isn't the one doing the Linux packages, though, there isn't much he can do about them.

You can add permissions through the package manager; Someone familiar with snap packaging will have to explain how (I don't know).
I compile MakeMKV from source, it works now! (although I don't quite understand the "restricted permissions"
Thanks a lot!