Region Warning when attempting to play BluRay disc

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
baishen

Region Warning when attempting to play BluRay disc

Post by baishen »

I just ripped a disc with MakeMKV and then went to play the disc so I could figure out which ripped files correspond to which episodes. When I attempted to play the disc, it told me that it was Region A only and I couldn't play it. This is very odd as I'm in Region A.

I did previously use MakeMKV to play some discs from another region, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error now? The current disc ripped fine. I just can't get it to play.

If I turn off the menus then it plays, but I want the menus to figure out what the ripped tracks are.
Ezatoka

Re: Region Warning when attempting to play BluRay disc

Post by Ezatoka »

On BluRays the region setting is purely software based. The software reads, for which region the BluRay is and then doesn't play it.

MakeMKV doesn't change anything with the region setting on the ripped disc as much as I know.

VLC player has a setting for it (Input/Codecs -> Access Modules -> Blu-ray). You can try changing the region there and see if it plays.
baishen

Post by baishen »

My understanding is that by using MakeMKV in concert with VLC, that ignores all region coding. It's how I was able to play the other discs that my BR player wouldn't.

I'll take a look in VLC, but I didn't have to do anything previously.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

On BD, the region "coding" is handled by the menu code. That's why turning them off makes it play.

At a guess, VLC either is not giving the menu code a region value, or it is incorrect. You may be able to set the "apparent region" (to call it something) in VLC so that the menu code thinks it is in the proper region.

Cannot know for certain, because I only occasionally point VLC at a MakeMKV backup, preferring to rip everything to MKV files, then sort them out later.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
baishen

Post by baishen »

I just looked and I can't find anything regarding the region. I don't have an Input/Codecs menu item.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You won't see "Input / Codecs" if you are looking at the "Simple" settings menu. It only appears if "All" is checked under "Show settings".

Under Input/Codecs->Access Modules-> Blu-ray, you can select what region code to use.
baishen

Post by baishen »

Okay. I'll give that a try. I have a feeling that it's just going to get me far enough to run into this problem with java.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27291
baishen

Post by baishen »

Okay, that worked. For some reason, I was set to Region B. Is there a way to tell VLC to ignore the region?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That's a question for videolan.org.

Mine was set to B also, but I did not have menus turned on.
baishen

Post by baishen »

I need to bookmark this or something. Had to reinstall my system and ran into the same problem again. :D