Building MakeMKV for linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
AMacGuy

Building MakeMKV for linux

Post by AMacGuy »

I'm setting up a new (to me) Mint 19.2 machine on an old Mac Pro 5,1. I followed the instructions here for downloading and building ffmpeg, makemkv-oss, and makemkv-bin.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

However, makemkv is apparently not using ffmpeg, it isn't decrypting DVDs.

When I try to read a DVD I get this message:
Drive DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N PQ06 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed

Then the following error repeated many times:
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N PQ06' at offset '2048'

and then:
Failed to open disc

Question 1:
The instructions list 2 different command lines for configuring makemkv-oss to work with ffmpeg. Which is correct?

./configure --prefix=/tmp/ffmpeg --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-pic
./configure --prefix=/tmp/ffmpeg --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-pic --enable-libfdk-aac

Question 2:
I think I am using a valid version of ffmpeg. When I run it, I get the following version info. Is there anything here indicating that ffmpeg isn't working?

ffmpeg version 4.2.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 7 (Ubuntu 7.5.0-3ubuntu1~18.04)
configuration:
libavutil 56. 31.100 / 56. 31.100
libavcodec 58. 54.100 / 58. 54.100
libavformat 58. 29.100 / 58. 29.100
libavdevice 58. 8.100 / 58. 8.100
libavfilter 7. 57.100 / 7. 57.100
libswscale 5. 5.100 / 5. 5.100
libswresample 3. 5.100 / 3. 5.100

Question 3:
When running ./configure, is there any output or error messages that indicate whether or not decryption is enabled? Is there anything I can run from the command line that will say whether or not ffmpeg support is enabled?

Question 4:
presumably, ./configure is updating something to enable building with ffmpeg support. Where can I check to verify that support really is turned on.

It is frustrating, I used to have it working on a different machine (MacBook Pro 8,3, which died). It is from the same era as the Mac Pro, so it uses a DVD drive with the same capabilities as the super drive in the MacBook Pro, so I think it is a software issue, not hardware.

Ignoring the fact that I'm running on mac hardware, what am I doing wrong building this on linux?
taylorwmj

Re: Building MakeMKV for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

Shouldn't need to use ffmpeg unless you really have a reason to. You can simply follow the walkthrough in the link you provided for everything above the "OPTIONAL" steps.