MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
toomuch

MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by toomuch »

What is this, Does it need fixed?

MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started
Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104". Make sure that you either have write access to device "/dev/sr0", are member of "cdrom" group or have CAP_SYS_RAWIO enabled.
Using direct disc access mode

Thank You
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by Woodstock »

How are you installing MakeMKV? There are some 3rd-party packagers that require permission changes to work with devices, as well as the things mentioned in the error message.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
toomuch

Re: MakeMKV v1.16.4 linux(x64-release) started Failed to get full access to drive "ATAPI iHOS104"

Post by toomuch »

I think I used the Software center. additional searching and reading I launched the Software center, searched for MakeMKV, when it found it a "Permissions" box appeared, I clicked on it and found the bottom of the list were not given permission. I am in Win 10 now and can't remember all, I added permission to read write access & something else. I started MakeMKV, everything looked ok, it finished sooner than normal but the Output Folder was empty.

Is using snap a better way, or the Forum viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224 the best way to install?
Thank You.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Any method other than what's outlined in the forum message is not supported by the author. There have been quite a number of people requesting that Mike provide a packaged version, but he hasn't.

Most package managers provide a "sandbox" environment for packages, and the device permissions are tied to that.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge can move your question along. Access to CD/DVD/BD devices has to be higher than just read/write, because MakeMKV sends requests to directly access the hardware, not just "send me sector XXXXXX".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging