VLC Bluray playback with MakeMKV snap

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
baishen

VLC Bluray playback with MakeMKV snap

Post by baishen »

According to the sticky post VLC should just work since I have MakeMKV installed. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure this is because I have MakeMKV installed as a snap instead of a direct package. Does anyone know what steps need to happen in order for VLC to work with MakeMKV installed as a snap? I found differing results as to where and how I need to link libmmbd on my system.

I tried the following link.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /snap/makemkv/current/usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0 /usr/lib
But I get this error when I try and open a disc.

keydbcfg.c:680: No valid AACS configuration files found
Thanks.
baishen

Re: VLC Bluray playback with MakeMKV snap

Post by baishen »

I removed libaacs0 and libbdplus0 from my system and now I'm no longer getting the keydbcfg error. However, now vlc segfaults whenever I try and open a disc.

Is there a way to tell why vlc is crashing? It's not outputting anything besides the following line.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

The idea of a snap is that it's a isolated package from the OS. So trying to integrate parts of the snap with VLC (not part of the snap) probably will not work well. I would suggest just installing/compiling MakeMKV systemwide. It's not that difficult if you are using Ubuntu or Mint (or another Ubuntu derivative).
baishen

Post by baishen »

bmillham wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:07 am
The idea of a snap is that it's a isolated package from the OS. So trying to integrate parts of the snap with VLC (not part of the snap) probably will not work well. I would suggest just installing/compiling MakeMKV systemwide. It's not that difficult if you are using Ubuntu or Mint (or another Ubuntu derivative).
Understood. I'm just trying to spend some effort now to avoid some later. Since the snap auto updates I only need to figure this out once instead of having to rebuild makemkv every time there's a release. :)

I did notice that building makemkv also installs libdriveio.so.0 and libmakemkv.so.1 into /usr/lib which the post doesn't mention. I tried adding those with no luck.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

baishen wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am
I'm just trying to spend some effort now to avoid some later. Since the snap auto updates I only need to figure this out once instead of having to rebuild makemkv every time there's a release.
Once you have built MakeMKV the first time, it's trivial to do it on a new release. It seems to me that the time you've spent trying to get this working with a snap has been much more effort than the simple building of a new release.
baishen

Post by baishen »

bmillham wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 am
baishen wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am
I'm just trying to spend some effort now to avoid some later. Since the snap auto updates I only need to figure this out once instead of having to rebuild makemkv every time there's a release.
Once you have built MakeMKV the first time, it's trivial to do it on a new release. It seems to me that the time you've spent trying to get this working with a snap has been much more effort than the simple building of a new release.
What is the procedure for doing new releases? How does it differ from the initial install?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

It's the same. But the first build is the one where you have to install all of the dependencies, so it can be the difficult one to build. Once you've done it the first time, you now have everything you need to build new releases. So it's the same procedure minus installing dependencies.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

what the original responder said, snap is the wrong tool for the job you are trying to do.

might as well use a ppa if you dont want to build it yourself

https://launchpad.net/~heyarje/+archive ... kemkv-beta
baishen

Post by baishen »

For anyone else looking into this error, it also happens when VLC is a snap even if MakeMKV is installed natively.

I had to reinstall my machine and I didn't notice that Ubuntu had defaulted to the snap version of VLC when it installed.