Installation Script

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
jdbower

Installation Script

Post by jdbower »

In case anyone's interested, I wrote a quick script to simplify the download and installation process of MakeMKV for you. All it does is make sure the dependencies are set, download the files to your /tmp/ directory, and then run the instructions in the official announcement. I've also put it in a PPA so all the dependencies can be taken care of for you. Program listing and PPA instructions are here:
https://www.ebower.com/docs/ubuntu-bluray/#MakeMKV

Note that I'm not distributing the MakeMKV binaries or source, just automating the download and build procedure. Still, if there's any concern from the devs just let me know and I'll take it down or modify it. While the script doesn't need to be run as root it does use sudo for necessary commands. Non-Debian distros probably won't like the use of the "apt-get" command, but I think otherwise it should work if you handle the dependencies yourself.

To upgrade to 1.6.4 just run makemkv-install 1.6.4

It's pretty dumb, it only checks for non-zero return codes and will exit out if it finds one. Let me know if you run into any issues.
hursto75

Re: Installation Script

Post by hursto75 »

I set up a little how to for Fedora 14
http://crackednoodle.com/2011/01/blu-ra ... ux-how-to/

Thanks,
Brad
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Not sure if anyone actually uses my script, but I had to reinstall MakeMKV on another PC so I updated the script to allow you to run makemkv-install latest and it will try to grab the latest version. You may need to do a sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade since I added curl as a dependency.

I'm just impressed I haven't needed to change it up until now. :)
tabish121

Post by tabish121 »

jdbower wrote:Not sure if anyone actually uses my script, but I had to reinstall MakeMKV on another PC so I updated the script to allow you to run makemkv-install latest and it will try to grab the latest version. You may need to do a sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade since I added curl as a dependency.

Nice work, thanks for making this available.
shajil

Post by shajil »

I have to say that it was really a great initiative from your part to update the script which would now enable us to run the most recent makemkv-install. Thanks to this update, the latest version shall now automatically be downloaded. Anyway, thanks for informing to do the sudo apt upgrade.
“Read Today, Lead Tomorrow”
ogredeschnique

Post by ogredeschnique »

Searched for a thread like this before posting in a new thread.

Here is an alternative script that performs all the same basic functions of the script in the OP but is much simpler.
Should continue to function indefinitely so long as the link to the release thread does not change. [or the file name syntax :-P]

I am using Gentoo, but this script should be ~somewhat~ distribution independent. Know YOUR distro. ;-)

Text of attached file below.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Install required packages on Ubuntu
#sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

# Specify version current version manually
#v=1.7.3

echo Fetching version number. 
## Specify version number autoamtically with curl grep and cut
v=`curl -s "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224" | grep "title>www.makemkv.com" | cut -d" " -f7`

echo Operating on MakeMKV version $v. ; 
sleep 2

# Create path to build environment
mkdir -p /tmp/MakeMKV ; cd /tmp/MakeMKV

# Fetch both tarballs
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-{bin,oss}-${v}.tar.gz 

# Extract, Build and Install 
for dir in oss bin ;
	do cd /tmp/MakeMKV ; 
		tar xfz makemkv-${dir}-${v}.tar.gz ;
		cd /tmp/MakeMKV/makemkv-${dir}-${v} ;
		make -f makefile.linux && sudo make -f makefile.linux install ;
	done
Attachments
MakeMKV-installer.txt
Simple script to Download, Build, and Install MakeMKV.
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 681 times
Last edited by ogredeschnique on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeblebear

Post by Beeblebear »

Very simple and elegant, ogredeschnique.
Thank you!

Thank you, also, jdbower. I will definitely link to you both when I am finally able to share my experiences in setting up my HTPC system.
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

FYI, I've updated my script to support MakeMKV 1.7.5 (a new file naming convention and an extra dependency thrown in there). PPA users should be seeing the new version in a few hours (depending on when Launchpad says my script is worthy...), let me know if there are any issues. I'll try to update the documentation tomorrow, time permitting.
Faber

Post by Faber »

ogredeschnique wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 am
Searched for a thread like this before posting in a new thread.

Here is an alternative script that performs all the same basic functions of the script in the OP but is much simpler.
Should continue to function indefinitely so long as the link to the release thread does not change. [or the file name syntax :-P]

I am using Gentoo, but this script should be ~somewhat~ distribution independent. Know YOUR distro. ;-)

Text of attached file below.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Install required packages on Ubuntu
#sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

# Specify version current version manually
#v=1.7.3

echo Fetching version number. 
## Specify version number autoamtically with curl grep and cut
v=`curl -s "http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224" | grep "title>www.makemkv.com" | cut -d" " -f7`

echo Operating on MakeMKV version $v. ; 
sleep 2

# Create path to build environment
mkdir -p /tmp/MakeMKV ; cd /tmp/MakeMKV

# Fetch both tarballs
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-{bin,oss}-${v}.tar.gz 

# Extract, Build and Install 
for dir in oss bin ;
	do cd /tmp/MakeMKV ; 
		tar xfz makemkv-${dir}-${v}.tar.gz ;
		cd /tmp/MakeMKV/makemkv-${dir}-${v} ;
		make -f makefile.linux && sudo make -f makefile.linux install ;
	done
Does this still work? Also, does it figure out the current version on its own or does it need help from the user?
Faber

Post by Faber »

jdbower wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:31 pm
Not sure if anyone actually uses my script, but I had to reinstall MakeMKV on another PC so I updated the script to allow you to run makemkv-install latest and it will try to grab the latest version. You may need to do a sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade since I added curl as a dependency.

Would you please post the latest version of your script?