Linux showing AV sync issues, Windows reports no issues

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
baishen

Linux showing AV sync issues, Windows reports no issues

Post by baishen »

I'm running Ubuntu 20.10 on an AMD r3600 with an old ASUS BR drive. I was previously running Ubuntu on my old Intel machine with the same model ASUS drive with no problems. Once I replaced the Intel machine with the new AMD one I installed Windows on the Intel machine.

I've ripped a couple discs on the AMD machine with no problems but recently MakeMKV started giving me AV sync errors on my Linux machine. When I try the same DVD in the windows machine it doesn't report any errors. I tried swapping the ASUS BR drives in case that was the issue but it hasn't changed anything.

I'm running MakeMKV v1.6.0.

Will replacing the BR drive fix the issue or is there something AMD or Linux related going on here?

TIA.
baishen

Re: Linux showing AV sync issues, Windows reports no issues

Post by baishen »

No ideas?

I thought maybe it might have been the SATA cable as that was one of the few things I didn't replace but that didn't change anything. I keep getting these kinds of issues on my linux machine but when I try the same disc on a windows machine there's no problem.

AV sync issue in stream 1,2,3 at 0:05:05.664 with duration of 191.55ms : audio gap - 5.985 missing frame(s)
AV sync issue in stream 1,2,3 at 0:05:33.183 with duration of 51.25ms : audio gap - 1.601 missing frame(s)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

I finally managed to look at your files. The good news - this does look like a reporting issue, not a bug. The linux/windows output is actually identical. There is a setting that controls how to display messages like these - it is called "Show A/V sync messages" in preferences. It is very likely that you have this setting checked on Linux and turned off on Windows. The messages itself are harmless - small audio gaps are typical, and MakeMKV manages them.
baishen

Post by baishen »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:54 am
I finally managed to look at your files. The good news - this does look like a reporting issue, not a bug. The linux/windows output is actually identical. There is a setting that controls how to display messages like these - it is called "Show A/V sync messages" in preferences. It is very likely that you have this setting checked on Linux and turned off on Windows. The messages itself are harmless - small audio gaps are typical, and MakeMKV manages them.
For some reason I never got a notification so I just saw this. I didn't realize that was a setting.

If I turn off the sync messages will I be missing anything? Will MakeMKV let me know if it's unable to manage the errors?

Thanks.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

baishen wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 pm
If I turn off the sync messages will I be missing anything? Will MakeMKV let me know if it's unable to manage the errors?
Precisely. If the setting is off, then it will output only serious issues.