Options to upgrade on Ubuntu now?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
ember1205

Options to upgrade on Ubuntu now?

Post by ember1205 »

I have an Ubuntu machine that I've been running for around four years or so. It has been built specifically for the purposes of ripping discs for my media server and has worked well... Until today.

It has been a short while since I've gotten new discs and ripped them, and I am a couple of revisions behind on makemkv on the box. I do NOT use the GUI version on this box, CLI only. I have a couple of discs that are failing to rip and always ensure I have the latest version of makemkv before diving into more troubleshooting. But, it seems that a standard apt-get upgrade will no longer pull builds for makemkv.

So, I'm looking for optimal ways to get my 1.15.1 version upgrade to 1.15.4 using a pre-built package and without any loss of functionality (which includes NOT encountering limitations on things like where I can stash the ripped content as it seems this is a big issue with Snap installs).

What are the best options for me to be able to update simply, maintain the ability to uninstall, and be able to keep fairly current as releases are put out there?

And, for whatever option you might be recommending, please add some info on WHY it's a good option.

Thanks!
mathias

Re: Options to upgrade on Ubuntu now?

Post by mathias »

This may not be an ideal solution, but I do publish unofficial Debian packages for MakeMKV at https://apt.calenhad.com. I "eat my own dogfood" and use these packages on my systems. They should remain up to date as new releases come out.

Pros:
  • Properly packaged as debs
  • Cleanly install/upgrade/uninstall via apt
  • Not a snap/flatpak/appimage
  • Source packages available to facilitate rebuild for other Debian-based systems
  • Kept up to date
Cons:
  • Only tested on Debian
  • You'd be installing from a random unofficial repo
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

mathias wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:22 pm
This may not be an ideal solution, but I do publish unofficial Debian packages for MakeMKV at https://apt.calenhad.com. I "eat my own dogfood" and use these packages on my systems. They should remain up to date as new releases come out.

Pros:
  • Properly packaged as debs
  • Cleanly install/upgrade/uninstall via apt
  • Not a snap/flatpak/appimage
  • Source packages available to facilitate rebuild for other Debian-based systems
  • Kept up to date
Cons:
  • Only tested on Debian
  • You'd be installing from a random unofficial repo
Thank you - I appreciate the info and the transparency.

From what I understand, ALL locations for something like this are "unofficial". I could take on the process of building the source into packages myself, but that's just something I don't have the time to learn (for Ubuntu - it is NOT my preferred distro) or actually do.
mathias

Post by mathias »

Yeah, all Linux packages will be unofficial. I'm not sure where you were getting your packages from before (maybe a PPA?); if you can track down the person who was doing the builds they might be able to push an update. However, I've seen more and more Ubuntu-focused packaging being moved to snaps or something similar, so you might be out of luck if that's happened to the source you were installing from.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

Maybe this launchpad repo is something you can use?
https://launchpad.net/~heyarje/+archive ... kemkv-beta

As far as i know the console version is included in the deb packages