BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and- ... acy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=focal
UBUNTU_CODENAME=focal
root@asimov:/data2/bluray$ ^C
root@asimov:/data2/bluray$ uname -or
5.4.0-62-generic GNU/Linux

1) Do not want to save the ripped file in my /home/ directory
When I try to brows to the /data filesystems I have set up, which are different mount points - the /data1 and /data2 filesystems are
The only directory that supports ripping is my /home/user directory. Since it has just 1G free

2) I suspect that, due to issue #1 above, the backup fails.

An earlier Linux install and different non-snap version of MakeMKV worked just fine.

MakeMKV v1.15.4 linux(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /home/ralphw7/snap/makemkv/232/MakeMKV_log.txt
Failed to get full access to drive "HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40". Make sure that you either have write access to device "/dev/sr1", are member of "cdrom" group or have CAP_SYS_RAWIO enabled.
Failed to get full access to drive "hp DVD-RAM GH60L". Make sure that you either have write access to device "/dev/sr0", are member of "cdrom" group or have CAP_SYS_RAWIO enabled.
Backing up disc into folder "/home/ralphw7/bluray/rips/Colossus_ The Forbin Project#084D"
(NOTE THAT /home/ralphw7/bluray is a link to /data2/backups - different mount point with 400G free)

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
DEBUG: Code 2 at t|1T5'b,;-xUF;c;-9'yg"P:29393447
DEBUG: Code 0 at (*f>W2CW|9oi&lLiE-}:29396391
DEBUG: Code 0 at !W1Y^zepGA@t:6Y}d*Gx:29396897
Backup failed
Backing up disc into folder "/home/ralphw7/bluray/rips/Colossus_ The Forbin Project#084D"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
DEBUG: Code 2 at t|1T5'b,;-xUF;c;-9'yg"P:29393447
DEBUG: Code 0 at (*f>W2CW|9oi&lLiE-}:29396391
DEBUG: Code 0 at !W1Y^zepGA@t:6Y}d*Gx:29396897
Backup failed

Any comments appreciated! Thanks!
keithhelms

Re: Linux /snap install

Post by keithhelms »

One annoying feature of Ubuntu snaps is that they are sandboxed, which limits what directories you can use with those applications. I ran into the same problem with the Chromium browser which would not let me select other mount points to save a download into.

In order to change that you would have to read up on how to modify snap permissions. Maybe someone around here knows what commands to enter.
dirkmittler

Post by dirkmittler »

I can offer a hint.

I do not rip many Blu-rays, but did in fact rip just one, years ago (using MakeMKV). As the thread already points out, using the Snap version always has as drawback, the extreme sandboxing that has been applied. For that reason, the MakeMKV Snap specifically, requires constant tinkering from me, with its permissions, just so that it will display the correct start-up message / GUI-Window. In fact, I think that a recent update to Snap made it harder. But, just this morning I was able to get mine working again.

The following is my recipe:

Code: Select all

dirk@Phosphene:~$ su
Password: 
root@Phosphene:/home/dirk# snap version
snap    2.49.2
snapd   2.49.2
series  16
debian  9
kernel  4.9.0-15-amd64
root@Phosphene:/home/dirk# snap connections makemkv
Interface              Plug                      Slot                            Notes
content[gtk-3-themes]  makemkv:gtk-3-themes      gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes  -
content[icon-themes]   makemkv:icon-themes       gtk-common-themes:icon-themes   -
content[sound-themes]  makemkv:sound-themes      gtk-common-themes:sound-themes  -
desktop                makemkv:desktop           :desktop                        -
desktop-legacy         makemkv:desktop-legacy    :desktop-legacy                 -
gsettings              makemkv:gsettings         :gsettings                      -
hardware-observe       makemkv:hardware-observe  :hardware-observe               -
home                   makemkv:home              :home                           -
network                makemkv:network           :network                        -
opengl                 makemkv:opengl            :opengl                         manual
optical-drive          makemkv:optical-drive     :optical-drive                  -
optical-drive          makemkv:optical-write     :optical-drive                  manual
process-control        makemkv:process-control   -                               -
removable-media        makemkv:removable-media   :removable-media                manual                                                                         
unity7                 makemkv:unity7            :unity7                         -                                                                              
wayland                makemkv:wayland           :wayland                        -                                                                              
x11                    makemkv:x11               :x11                            -                                                                              
root@Phosphene:/home/dirk# 
It took me a while to figure this out, but, importantly, there are two plugs where a user might expect one:

optical-drive          makemkv:optical-drive     :optical-drive                  -
optical-drive          makemkv:optical-write     :optical-drive                  manual
What I needed to do was, to connect them both to the (core):optical-drive socket (manually), even though one was for reading, and the other for writing. This way, my GUI window no longer tells me, that I'm 'either not in the CD-ROM group', or whatever...

My MakeMKV version is currently 1.16.3, just updated a few days ago.

Dirk
SixDigitCode

Post by SixDigitCode »

Not sure how well this would work, but you could try creating a symlink from /data1 to some subdirectory in your user folder. There might be restrictions on how the drive can be formatted, though.

I also think you can install makemkv via apt-get if you run

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:heyarje/makemkv-beta && sudo apt-get update
beforehand.
glide

Post by glide »

I installed it recently via snap on Debian 11.

I had to run

sudo snap connect makemkv:optical-write :optical-drive