Manjaro 5.9.xx vlc/makemkv does not play blurays

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Cyanwasserstoff

Manjaro 5.9.xx vlc/makemkv does not play blurays

Post by Cyanwasserstoff »

Hello community,
I could not fix the problem on the laptop from my brother. He has an external bluray player and he has installed an activated MakeMKV and tried to play different Blurays with the same result. It always stops by the process of initializing the overlay. I could not figure out the problem, because the same program MakeMKV with VLC do work with the same BluRays on my Laptop pretty well. I do not understand what I am missing here.

The installed libbluray vs. is libbluray-awt-j2se-1.2.1.jar / libbluray.so.2.3.0.

The terminal output during the play trial of the bluray was:
libbluray demux: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 17, BD-J Titles: 0, Other: 0
mobj_parse.c:89 MovieObject.bdmv: empty object
uint DBusMenuExporterDBus::GetLayout(int, int, const QStringList&, DBusMenuLayoutItem&): Condition failed menu
libbluraydemux: Initializing overlay

The last part repeats for eternity

The Laptop from my brother is a Asus G712LV - H7007T I7-10750H/16GB/2060 RTX
He is using the bumblebee drivers
shaneramone

Re: Manjaro 5.9.xx vlc/makemkv does not play blurays

Post by shaneramone »

I'm having the exact same issue on Arch. It has been driving me crazy trying to work it out. I have resorted to a temporary solution (which is, in my case, not at all preferable) of using VLC, Makemkv and Makemkv VLC plugin flatpaks. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, please do let it be known ;)
shaneramone

Post by shaneramone »

After painstakingly testing the reason why the git version of VLC(4.0) works with makemkv and not the repo version, I figured out that I was missing an optional dependency which was stopping VLC from playing blu-ray disks. Try installing aribb24.
Cyanwasserstoff

My brother will test to solve the problem with this solution. I will keep you updated
Cyanwasserstoff

Thanks a lot. This was the solution! We have to fix a little sound problem otherwise and unfortunately I cannot travel back to my brother to have a closer look at his laptop, but I will online guid him further.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

@shaneramone

Can you give some directions how you get makemkv working in Manjaro to play blu-rays with vlc?

I find it confusing, there is a tab in settings to do that but that is only for Windows, but how does this work in Linux?
Cyanwasserstoff

@pipo233

You put the BluRay in the BluRay Player, you start the VLC, you choose open media, you then choose BluRay and play. The rest will be done in the background and you are enjoying your BluRay
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

Cyanwasserstoff wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 pm
@pipo233

You put the BluRay in the BluRay Player, you start the VLC, you choose open media, you then choose BluRay and play. The rest will be done in the background and you are enjoying your BluRay
Well that much i did know..
What i want to know is how do i get makemkv to decrypt bluray , what do i have to install etc
Cyanwasserstoff

You need to install besides the VLC player the makemkv vers. 1.15.4-1 (this has already the independencies needed to work between this and the VLC). The only thing besides these two that need to be installed (if not already) is aribb24.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

@ Cyanwasserstoff

Well it works, i didn't thought it could be that easy!
It used to be a bit of a problem to play blurays on Linux
Thanks