Can't decrypt iso with keydb

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
dirtdigger

Can't decrypt iso with keydb

Post by dirtdigger »

Hello,

I have a disc that I've had trouble decrypting directly due to scratches (or so I think, there may be another issue there but that's another thread entirely). I was able to rip it to an ISO successfully using ddrescue, but now I cannot open that ISO in MakeMKV. Every time I try I get the error "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted"

It seems that this is an AACS issue since I just ripped the disc without decrypting. I'm trying to get KEYDB.cfg working. I have that in my MakeMKV folder ~/.MakeMKV/KEYDB.cfg, and it appears that there are three different versions of my disc in the database. If I mount the ISO and find a sha1sum of AACS/Unit_Key_RO.inf, I get one that matches a line in my KEYDB.cfg.

Somehow I don't think MakeMKV is finding my KEYDB.cfg file. I tried playing around with the case (KeyDB.cfg, keydb.cfg, KEYDB.CFG) to no avail. Each time I change the filename I restarted MakeMKV in the hope that it would re-look for the file. I've also verified that the MakeMKV data directory is indeed pointing to the folder that contains the database in preferences.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
beandog

Re: Can't decrypt iso with keydb

Post by beandog »

MakeMKV doesn't use libaacs to decrypt Blu-rays.

If the disc is that badly damaged, it might be a good idea to just replace it.
megaminxwin

Post by megaminxwin »

Hi,

I've been having the same issue with a disc of my own, as it happens; however I can't replace it, as it's from a limited edition (and now out of print) boxset and there's no way to replace the disc without buying a new boxset for $200. What's particularly annoying is that the disc *looks* pristine, however it likes to throw up a bunch of bad sectors.

I have the key I need for the ISO, and I did manage to successfully create an ISO with ddrescue after a looong time; I even managed to recover the single troubled file from the disc (a 19 GB .m2ts file, woo). I know that MakeMKV supports creating files from a disc image, so why isn't it able to recognise that it already knows what keys it needs? What does MakeMKV look for when trying to find the keys to decrypt the files, and is there a way to force it to use a particular key for a particular disc image?

Thanks!
pucgenie

Post by pucgenie »

Hi, even libaacs can't decrypt 1:1 disc image files if it didn't have access to the original disc before*.
If MakeMKV handles that similarly, insert the original disc and hope that at least the menu works. Then try again with the ddrescue'd image.
I'm afraid you already tried this way (since more than a year passed already) and it doesn't work anyway...
* libaacs creates some files in ~/.cache/aacs - for comparison, KEYDB is placed in ~/.config/aacs
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Depending on where MakeMKV has troubles, you can just start an Encrypted Backup and as soon as the discatt.dat file was created (which should be at the very beginning), you can stop MakeMKV and copy that file into your ddrescue structure and it should open the files (I think).

Does anyone know if it would be problematic to share such discatt.dat files? I don't think I've ever seen a website collecting them, so if anyone is good in building such sites... maybe?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Not sure about the Linux process. Under Windows there is dvdisaster. For that it is important that no software in between is modyfying anything. No AnyDVD and no Makemkv being active. That program does then a 1:1 raw copy of the disc. Load the resulting ISO. Have Makemkv or AnyDVD work on the ISO loaded later. The programs will then use bus decrytion and AACS decryption on these loaded ISOs. It will not work if any of the programs had been active during the ripping process to get the data from these hard to read discs. Just my 2 cents. Assumption is that ddrescue works similar to dvdisaster.