FreeBSD with Linux compatibility: makemkvcon works, but not in guiserver mode

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Zirias

FreeBSD with Linux compatibility: makemkvcon works, but not in guiserver mode

Post by Zirias »

I'm trying to create a fully working port of MakeMKV on FreeBSD. As long as there is no "makemkvcon" binary for FreeBSD available, the way to go is to use the Linux version with FreeBSD's Linux compatibility layer, therefore I'm asking here in the Linux subforum.

For reference, here's my own HOWTO for getting it to run properly: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/inst ... bsd.70614/

As the next step, I tried to get the GUI to work as well. It took a bit of debugging to understand why it couldn't start makemkvcon (the reason was looking for its own path through /proc/self/exe which doesn't exist on FreeBSD, but this was easily changed) -- but now I'm hitting a roadblock :(

From debugging "makemkv", I could see it tries to launch "makemkvcon guiserver G0012" (where G0012 seems to be a protocol version). It seems there's some output from "makemkvcon" expected ... what I see instead is makemkvcon exits immediately, without any output.

Unfortunately, I can't see the source of makemkvcon for debugging this ;)

So my question here is, what could be wrong in the environment for makemkvcon so that
  • "makemkvcon info disc:0", "makemkvcon mkv disc:0 0 .", etc all works well, while
  • "makemkvcon guiserver G0012" exits without any output?
The exit code of "makemkvcon guiserver G0012" is 55 ...

Thanks for hints on this :)
Zirias

Re: FreeBSD with Linux compatibility: makemkvcon works, but not in guiserver mode

Post by Zirias »

Some help from somebody who knows the source would be quite nice. I'm almost there with porting, my port builds and installs MakeMKV console-only automatically and it runs fine*). A second port could build the Qt GUI (probably to a native FreeBSD binary), but as long as "makenkvcon guiserver G0012" doesn't work, it's futile.

One of the last actions I can see tracing "makemkvcon guiserver G0012" is reading /proc/mounts, which doesn't happen when using makemkvcon directly for ripping ... but I doubt this is the culprit, the call seems to come from glibc anyways...

So, please tell me, what could be the relevant error condition -- in which circumstances would "makemkvcon guiserver G0012" die with an exit status of 55?

FreeBSD has a rather complete Linux emulation, so I think it should be possible to figure it out.

*) here's the port, ready to use: https://github.com/Zirias/zfbsd-ports/t ... ia/makemkv