MakeMKV installation for linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

I carefully followed the steps for linux but there must be something I do not understand. Would someone kindly detail the steps for a "newbie"?
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

What part are you struggling with it? Is there a certain step that is giving you issues?

Also, it's best to run MakeMKV on a debian-based flavor of Linux. What OS are you running?
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

To Mike/Admin...this should most likely be moved to the MakeMKV for Linux sub forum...
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

taylorwmj wrote:What part are you struggling with it? Is there a certain step that is giving you issues?

Also, it's best to run MakeMKV on a debian-based flavor of Linux. What OS are you running?

The message body won't allow me to use it.
I am using Mint 17,3 - Rosa. I downloaded both files and extracted them and opened,them one at a time then i put the codes in the terminal. Nothing seemed to be happening so I read the rest
of the instructions and found I needed to put another downloaded file and installed it. Still nothing . I suspect my problem is with the two MKV files. How should I deal with them?
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

In your home folder, create a Downloads directory if it doesn't already exist.
Then from the command line/terminal begin running the following commands 1 by 1...

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-bin-1.9.10.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-oss-1.9.10.tar.gz
We now need to unpack the tarballs...

Code: Select all

sudo tar -xvzf makemkv-bin-1.9.10.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvzf makemkv-oss-1.9.10.tar.gz
Now we need to install all dependencies. Do these each 1 by 1 as they may be failing someplace....

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install pkg-config
sudo apt install libc6-dev
sudo apt install libssl-dev
sudo apt install libexpat1-dev
sudo apt install libavcodec-dev
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt install libqt4-dev
Time to start installing; move into the oss-directory:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads/makemkv-oss-1.9.10
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
...continue on with installing...move into the bin-directory

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads/makemkv-bin-1.9.10
sudo make
You'll now be prompted to read T&C/EULA type stuff...so get to the bottom of the doc. Upper G (shift-g) should take you there. Press q as instructed. Type yes as instructed if you agree. Then onto the following

Code: Select all

sudo make install
cd
At this point you should be back in your home directory. By typing makemkv in the terminal, the application should start.

Please keep in mind that if you're looking to extract Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats that are relatively standard with Blu-ray, you'll have more complex instructions that will need to be followed. HOWEVER, you still WILL have either the Dolby Digital or DTS Digital files available.
16442496
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 pm
Location: Finland

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by 16442496 »

taylorwmj wrote:In your home folder, create a Downloads directory if it doesn't already exist.
Then from the command line/terminal begin running the following commands 1 by 1...

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-bin-1.9.10.tar.gz
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv-oss-1.9.10.tar.gz
We now need to unpack the tarballs...

Code: Select all

sudo tar -xvzf makemkv-bin-1.9.10.tar.gz
sudo tar -xvzf makemkv-oss-1.9.10.tar.gz
Now we need to install all dependencies. Do these each 1 by 1 as they may be failing someplace....

Code: Select all

sudo apt install build-essential
sudo apt install pkg-config
sudo apt install libc6-dev
sudo apt install libssl-dev
sudo apt install libexpat1-dev
sudo apt install libavcodec-dev
sudo apt install libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt install libqt4-dev
Time to start installing; move into the oss-directory:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads/makemkv-oss-1.9.10
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
...continue on with installing...move into the bin-directory

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads/makemkv-bin-1.9.10
sudo make
You'll now be prompted to read T&C/EULA type stuff...so get to the bottom of the doc. Upper G (shift-g) should take you there. Press q as instructed. Type yes as instructed if you agree. Then onto the following

Code: Select all

sudo make install
cd
At this point you should be back in your home directory. By typing makemkv in the terminal, the application should start.

Please keep in mind that if you're looking to extract Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats that are relatively standard with Blu-ray, you'll have more complex instructions that will need to be followed. HOWEVER, you still WILL have either the Dolby Digital or DTS Digital files available.
Nice. but why?
sudo ./configure
sudo make

Why they are need sudo user permission? I have try to Kubuntu and they don't.

I use only Debian and only "super user staff" is install "make install" "su" in Debian.

There is very simple tutorial here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Just follow it and you are just fine.
OS: Debian 9 (Stretch) 64-bit, KDE
ODD: TSSTcorp. CDDVDW SH-224DB
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

16442496 wrote:
There is very simple tutorial here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Just follow it and you are just fine.
Except the OP said he followed that walkthrough and didn't understand it. His response on what he was struggling with was fairly vague as well, and based upon how he was describing most of what he was doing it sounded like he was handling this both via UI and CLI, which can get messy.

Hence why I gave him the even more granular step-by-step breakdown. You'll also notice that the walkthrough I provided is exactly what's already described in that post, just more detailed and leaves less ambiguity.

16442496 wrote: Nice. but why?
sudo ./configure
sudo make

Why they are need sudo user permission? I have try to Kubuntu and they don't.
I have no idea how this user's permissions are set up, nor what is causing issues. Using sudo won't hurt anything here and more than anything just ensures everything gets installed. Across various Debian flavors, I have issues not using sudo for ./configure or make, so adding this seems to work.

16442496 wrote:I use only Debian and only "super user staff" is install "make install" "su" in Debian.
Debian handles the super user privileges differently than Ubuntu or Linux Mint (what OP is using). Debian by default requires full root access (and password), whereas Ubuntu/Mint do not. Thus using sudo will work just fine for OP.
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

taylorwmj wrote:
16442496 wrote:
There is very simple tutorial here:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224

Just follow it and you are just fine.
Except the OP said he followed that walkthrough and didn't understand it. His response on what he was struggling with was fairly vague as well, and based upon how he was describing most of what he was doing it sounded like he was handling this both via UI and CLI, which can get messy.

Hence why I gave him the even more granular step-by-step breakdown. You'll also notice that the walkthrough I provided is exactly what's already described in that post, just more detailed and leaves less ambiguity.


e="16442496"]
Nice. but why?
sudo ./configure
sudo make

Why they are need sudo user permission? I have try to Kubuntu and they don't.
I have no idea how this user's permissions are set up, nor what is causing issues. Using sudo won't hurt anything here and more than anything just ensures everything gets installed. Across various Debian flavors, I have issues not using sudo for ./configure or make, so adding this seems to work.

16442496 wrote:I use only Debian and only "super user staff" is install "make install" "su" in Debian.
Debian handles the super user privileges differently than Ubuntu or Linux Mint (what OP is using). Debian by default requires full root access (and password), whereas Ubuntu/Mint do not. Thus using sudo will work just fine for OP.[/quote]


I looked up Debian and found so many packages I became confused again. I never knew that Debian was an OS. I would like to install it but don't know which to install nor how to do it. Would you kindly wake me up?
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

jd33458 wrote:I carefully followed the steps for linux but there must be something I do not understand. Would someone kindly detail the steps for a "newbie"?

I am using Mint 17.3, I explained that I was a "newbie", I had never used the terminal before and I asked for more specific instructions. I was not told that I had to hit "enter" nor when to use it.
Here is where I am now:_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ./configurePKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ./configuresudo make install
bash: ./configurePKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig: No such file or directory
jeff@jeff-A780L3B ~ $ rm -rf /tmp/ffmpeg
jeff@jeff-A780L3B ~ $ sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev./configuremakesudo make install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libqt4-dev-bin' for regex 'libqt4-dev.'
E: Release 'configuremakesudo' for 'libqt4-dev-bin' was not found
E: Unable to locate package install
jeff@jeff-A780L3B ~ $

Please see above.
I appreciate the help you have given me and the work you had to do for me but when should i hit "enter"? Is it after each line of code or after each grouping of code.
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

jd33458 wrote:I appreciate the help you have given me and the work you had to do for me but when should i hit "enter"? Is it after each line of code or after each grouping of code.
Hit enter after each line.

If you're not very familiar with the command line interface (CLI), I recommend that you read this document as it will help you find your way around more: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Also, it appears that you're following some of the commands from the optional section on the install instructions page. Are you wanting what's included in that? If so, it's a MUCH more convoluted mess and you won't be able to follow them directly as some of the packages don't seem to install well. ffmpeg, while powerful, is a PAIN to get configured, even for skilled Linux users.
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

jd33458 wrote:
taylorwmj wrote:What part are you struggling with it? Is there a certain step that is giving you issues?

Also, it's best to run MakeMKV on a debian-based flavor of Linux. What OS are you running?

The message body won't allow me to use it.
I am using Mint 17,3 - Rosa. I downloaded both files and extracted them and opened,them one at a time then i put the codes in the terminal. Nothing seemed to be happening so I read the rest
of the instructions and found I needed to put another downloaded file and installed it. Still nothing . I suspect my problem is with the two MKV files. How should I deal with them?

The commands were working properly until I got to the password and it was not accepted - a number of times. Once I get that accepted I should be fine. I was unable to log in since you last post but I finally got that straightened out. Thanks for your help.
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

taylorwmj wrote:
jd33458 wrote:I appreciate the help you have given me and the work you had to do for me but when should i hit "enter"? Is it after each line of code or after each grouping of code.
Hit enter after each line.

If you're not very familiar with the command line interface (CLI), I recommend that you read this document as it will help you find your way around more: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Also, it appears that you're following some of the commands from the optional section on the install instructions page. Are you wanting what's included in that? If so, it's a MUCH more convoluted mess and you won't be able to follow them directly as some of the packages don't seem to install well. ffmpeg, while powerful, is a PAIN to get configured, even for skilled Linux users.
Okay, thank you. I am using Mint 17.3 Rosa. What version should I be using?
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

Which version of what? OS?
jd33458
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by jd33458 »

taylorwmj wrote:Which version of what? OS?
You said you only use ?debian? I think. Is there a debian version of mint?
I triedd installing the debian OS and as I recall I had som3e difficulty with it, possibly because it was very different from what I am used to.
taylorwmj
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: MakeMKV installation for linux

Post by taylorwmj »

jd33458 wrote: You said you only use ?debian? I think. Is there a debian version of mint?
I triedd installing the debian OS and as I recall I had som3e difficulty with it, possibly because it was very different from what I am used to.
Mint is a Debian- (and Ubuntu-) based OS. I was asking this initially because MakeMKV for Linux is really only intended
for Debian-based flavors of Linux.

MakeMKV should generally work without issue on Mint. I personally use Ubuntu Server for MakeMKV (not Ubuntu with a UI), but the install should generally be the same.

Let me install a Linux Mint VM and install MakeMKV so I can perhaps clear up my instructions which are more specifically for Ubuntu.

I'll try and post an update later today.
Locked