Requires root to run? [SOLVED]

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Mnemos

Requires root to run? [SOLVED]

Post by Mnemos »

Okay, I ran makeMKV on OpenSuSE as my normal user just fine. However, I recently switched to Arch Linux, and while I can run makeMKV as root or with sudo, it fails as my normal user. When I run it as my normal user, I get a dialog that pops up and says "Application failed to initialize," which isn't exactly helpful.

So, my question is what could possibly be wrong here? I'm guessing that something on my system which makeMKV requires is set up to need root permissions, but I don't know what it would be. I can play DVDs just fine, so I don't think that it's permissions related to the drive, unless makeMKV is doing something radically different from xine/kaffeine to access the drive. Maybe it's trying to write to a file somewhere and doesn't have the permissions, but I haven't a clue where that might be. The configuration stuff in my home folder all appear to have the correct permissons, and it should be able to write to /tmp just fine. So, I really have no idea what the problem could be, and I'd really prefer not to have to run makeMKV as root.

Running it as my normal user, I get this in the log file:

Code: Select all

Debug log started at Sat May  8 04:04:23 2010 , written by MakeMKV v1.5.5 beta linux(x64-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
csf3
csf1
Application exited at Sat May  8 04:04:23 2010
It doesn't tell me anything useful, but maybe it means something to the folks on the makeMKV team. No one on the Arch forums seems to have a clue, so I'm hoping that someone here might.
Last edited by Mnemos on Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike admin

Re: Requires root to run?

Post by mike admin »

What is the output of

makemkv debug /dev/stdout
makemkvcon --debug info disc:0 
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

The first command gives me

$ makemkv debug /dev/stdout
DEBUG: 0xffffffff8000000b (null) 70
I attached the log for the second command.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Log from "makemvkcon --debug info disc:0"
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

Problem solved. It turns out that for some reason, on my system, only root has write permissions for /dev/shm. If I make it world writable, then makemkv will start normally. Chromium has a similar problem where it can't render any web pages if I don't make /dev/shm world writable. I don't know why /dev/shm isn't world writable, and I'll have to figure out how to fix that, so that I don't have to change it every time I reboot, but that's a separate issue. With /dev/shm world writable, makemkv works, so this problem has been solved.