makemkvcon broken...at least on my system

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
oldpink

makemkvcon broken...at least on my system

Post by oldpink » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

I have 1.6.10 of MakeMKV on my x86_64 system, and I have discovered that I am unable to run it all because makemkvcon is somehow unusable on my particular system.
I tried to start the gui makemkv, but it errors out with "Application failed to initialize."
I then examined the command line portion of the program, makemkvcon, with the command "ldd -r /usr/bin/makemkvcon."
I get the following message:

undefined symbol: HTTP_Download (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_readdir (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_fstat (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: OSSL_ECDSA_sign_setup (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: ZLIB_uncompress2 (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_nstatfs (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_nstat (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)

What in the world can I possibly do to fix this problem?
It looks pretty clear that my existing libraries are lacking some basic system calls required for makemkvcon, but I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone else getting the same errors.
Any ideas?

mike admin

Re: makemkvcon broken...at least on my system

Post by mike admin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:05 pm

You need to install BOTH oss and bin packages.

oldpink

Post by oldpink » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Well, I did indeed do that.
I downloaded both packages, first installing the bin package, then compiling and installing the OSS package.
I still have exactly the same problem running the GUI, and "ldd -r /usr/bin/makemkvcon" still returns the exact same broken binary problem.
Thanks so far, but I still don't know what I need.

jdbower

Post by jdbower » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Which distribution are you running?

oldpink

Post by oldpink » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Well, mine is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster system.
It started out as a 32-bit Slackware v.8 system, then I switched my libraries and most of my binaries over to 64-bit using Slackware-64 v.11 when I replaced the CPU and motherboard with an Intel Core2 Duo Quad 9550.
I have also built about half of the binaries and libraries on it, and I built the kernel entirely on my own, customized to my hardware.
I just was hoping you could point me to exactly which library I have that is missing the appropriate system calls needed by makemkvcon, as it seems clear that is the problem, not a missing library as such.
Here is the complete output, not just the error message:

ldd -r /usr/bin/makemkvcon
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007ffff51ff000)
libmakemkv.so.1 => /usr/lib/libmakemkv.so.1 (0x00007f915ca33000)
libdriveio.so.0 => /usr/lib/libdriveio.so.0 (0x00007f915c82c000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f915c60d000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f915c267000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f915bf55000)
librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00007f915bd4b000)
libcrypto.so.0 => /lib64/libcrypto.so.0 (0x00007f915b9c2000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 (0x00007f915b7ac000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f915b595000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f915cd32000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f915b310000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f915b10c000)
undefined symbol: HTTP_Download (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_readdir (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_fstat (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: OSSL_ECDSA_sign_setup (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: ZLIB_uncompress2 (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_nstatfs (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)
undefined symbol: SYS_nstat (/usr/bin/makemkvcon)

I hope that was enough information.
Thanks so far again.

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:32 pm

all of these symbols are in libmakemkv.so - it's part of open source package. what is the output of "ldd makemkvcon" ?

oldpink

Post by oldpink » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Ahah!
I just figured out what the problem was.
I had an outdated libmakemkv.so.1 and libdriveio.so.0 sitting in my /usr/lib directory.
Once I deleted those, the new versions of those libraries I built and directed to be installed in /usr/lib64 worked, and I can now get makemkv to run.
It works just fine now.
I should have caught it sooner, but I took a second look and saw it was looking for those libraries in the old 32-bit lib directory instead of the 64-bit.
Thanks!

shajil

Post by shajil » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 am

Well, I do not think that you can skip either OSS or BIN packages since you need both of them. Anyway, since installing both of them still didn’t make it work for you, I would recommend you update your distribution. I am sure that would sort out the issue.
“Read Today, Lead Tomorrow”

oldpink

Post by oldpink » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:12 pm

shajil wrote:Well, I do not think that you can skip either OSS or BIN packages since you need both of them. Anyway, since installing both of them still didn’t make it work for you, I would recommend you update your distribution. I am sure that would sort out the issue.
The distro has nothing to do with it.
And, yes, I am using many of the updated packages from Slack64 v.13.37 right now.
Something else is the culprit, although what I have absolutely no idea.

cjmcqueen

Post by cjmcqueen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 am

The instructions say to install the source before the executable binaries. Maybe you did it in the wrong order. You said you installed the binaries first. Perhaps there are dependencies in the binaries that require the source to be installed first. If you later re-installed some of the source, as it seems you indicated that you did, perhaps you also re-installed the binaries after re-installing some of the source, and that re-installing source first and binaries second may have fixed the problem, although you did not specifically indicate that you ever re-installed the binaries. I suppose a quick way to verify would be to upgrade your version sometime while deliberately installing the binaries first, which is opposite to the instructions, to see if it breaks your installation. If you are using unregistered beta you have to re-install at least every 60 days anyway, since no beta works for more than 60 days after release.

oldpink

Post by oldpink » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

cjmcqueen wrote:The instructions say to install the source before the executable binaries. Maybe you did it in the wrong order. You said you installed the binaries first. Perhaps there are dependencies in the binaries that require the source to be installed first. If you later re-installed some of the source, as it seems you indicated that you did, perhaps you also re-installed the binaries after re-installing some of the source, and that re-installing source first and binaries second may have fixed the problem, although you did not specifically indicate that you ever re-installed the binaries. I suppose a quick way to verify would be to upgrade your version sometime while deliberately installing the binaries first, which is opposite to the instructions, to see if it breaks your installation. If you are using unregistered beta you have to re-install at least every 60 days anyway, since no beta works for more than 60 days after release.
I'm using the latest beta, 1.7.2, so it's unexpired, and I tried both ways, binaries installed first and source first.
Neither way works.
This time, I get this output while trying to decrypt "The Breakfast Club 25th Anniversary Edition."

MakeMKV v1.7.2 linux(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
This disc uses newer version of AACS protection. Please let us know about it by visiting http://www.makemkv.com/a/?zs7Ozs7ma2NzNO...
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I'm at wit's end now.
:? :( :cry: