Version 1.7.8 Needs Newer glibc

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
o1812542

Version 1.7.8 Needs Newer glibc

Post by o1812542 »

I've found that MakeMKV 1.7.8 needs a newer version of glibc. My distribution currently comes with 2.13 and when I try to run MakeMKV I get:

Code: Select all

o1812542@localhost:~$ makemkv
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)
It would be awesome if you could please lower the minimum required version to 2.13. Otherwise I want to downgrade back to MakeMKV 1.7.7 but it appears that old versions are not available to download anymore. :(
ldconfig

Re: Version 1.7.8 Needs Newer glibc

Post by ldconfig »

I am in the same boat :(

"jimmyz@Woofie ~ $ makemkv
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)
/usr/bin/makemkvcon: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/makemkvcon)"

I have googled until my eyes bled and no answer. Trying to install glibc 2.15 from source and when i did ./configure i got some crap about building in another folder... Just because I have used Linux for the last 10+ years does not make me a programmer. Up until 1.7.8 everything worked perfect.

Running Linux Mint 10 /2.6.35-22

Was going to try to go back to 1.7.7 but I can't seem to find it anywhere to download any more.

What do I have to do to fix this? PLEASE

ldconfig
Harri

Post by Harri »

I am affected by this problem, too. Platform is Debian sid, amd64. I still had the binaries of makemkv 1.7.7, but they refuse to run.

Could you please provide a compatible version?
ldconfig

Post by ldconfig »

I wiped my drive & installed linux mint 13 (from 10) not happy about it but it fixed makemkv.

Just wish next time we get a warning like "this will break on kernel/glibc version etc etc. (with the commands to check your version/s before you hose anything)

ldconfig
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

I'm using the current stable Debian (Debian 6.0 squeeze). I watched the GLIBC-Version of the next Deboian Release. It's 2.13! Debian testing/unstable has been frozen now. So the next Release will be 2.13 witch means that all the Debian users will NOT be able to use makemkv for the next 2 or 3 years! That's simply bad programming style. I'm using "nero 4 linux" since a couple of years. It runs under Debian 3 as well as under the current Debian testing and is a good example that it IS possibe to write Linux programms that run under a wide varity of Linux versions without any changes...
AAlchemy

Post by AAlchemy »

Sure wish I could use this software, considering I paid for it... :(
Please recompile makemkvcon with glibc 2.13

glibc 2.13-35 is the newest for Debian.
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite ... ords=libc6

I bet you built this from a newer version of Ubuntu, from looking at their glibc version:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all
jakob01

Post by jakob01 »

Using Ubuntu 10.04 with libc 2.11.1 here. Continued support for older distros would be highly appreciated.
batesman

Post by batesman »

Same here.
I' using Debian Wheezy.
IMHO it's not OK to require a Version of libc which is newer than the Version in the most actual stable distributions (even more wheezy is TESTING).
gbooker

Post by gbooker »

Fortunately I've kept the archives around for every makemkv I've downloaded otherwise I'd be out a makemkv like others in this thread. It appears that the license allows redistribution, so if the author doesn't post 1.7.7, I may.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10, and whenever I get around to updating to 12.04 LTS, I had been planning to keep it there until the next LTS came out. In seeing this thread, I'm wondering if I cannot upgrade future versions of makemkv without upgrading to a non-LTS version. Was the use of later version of libc a fluke this time or should this be expected in the future as well?
Otto1234

Post by Otto1234 »

o1812542 wrote: [...] but it appears that old versions are not available to download anymore.
I had the same Problem under Debian/testing.

Old Versions are available here:
http://www.makemkv.com/download/old/
o1812542

Post by o1812542 »

Otto1234 wrote:Old Versions are available here:
That is progress, and addresses my most immediate need but the root problem remains: MakeMKV depends on a version of the GNU C Library that the stable releases of most mainstream GNU/Linux distributions aren't using yet. This will lock me and others out of future upgrades. I don't have any Blu-Rays with AACS v35 yet but I would like to be able to rip then when I do.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Ouch. We upgraded the build machine and that went unnoticed. Should be addressed in the next version.
zombienifty

Post by zombienifty »

Here is how I got glibc-2.16 installed/built on my Fedora 14 machine, and getting MakeMKV to work.

First, get glibc-2.26

git clone git://sourceware.org/git/glibc.git

cd glibc

git checkout --track -b local_glibc-2.16 origin/release/2.16/master

That will download it to “glibc”

Now you need to make a build folder so

cd -

mkdir -v glibc-build

cd glibc-build

Configure (my build and glibc folder were both in /Home/Nifty)

/Home/Nifty/glibc/./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-profile --enable-add-ons --enable-kernel=2.6.25 --libexecdir=/usr/lib/glibc

Still from the “glibc-build” folder

make - this will take a while

make install
gbooker

Post by gbooker »

mike admin wrote:Ouch. We upgraded the build machine and that went unnoticed. Should be addressed in the next version.
Ok, so it was unintentional. Thanks for the clarification.
replica9000

Post by replica9000 »

Otto1234 wrote:
o1812542 wrote: [...] but it appears that old versions are not available to download anymore.
I had the same Problem under Debian/testing.

Old Versions are available here:
Thank you for posting this. This will work fine until 1.7.9 gets released.

zombienifty wrote:
make - this will take a while
make -j[number of cores/threads your processor has]

ex. make -j4 should use 4 cores/threads to speed things up.