Burn Backup-Directory?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
johnny

Burn Backup-Directory?

Post by johnny »

Hi,
is it possible to burn the backup-directory created by makemkv to a blu-ray and play it with any blu-ray player? (i.e. including menu, etc.)
If yes, what settings are importand and/or is there a program best used for it (linux)?

Thanks!
setarip_old

Re: Burn Backup-Directory?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Yes.

IMGBurn, for one...
johnny

Post by johnny »

I use linux. Any special settings/parameters I have to use there?
genisoimage has for example "-dvd-video". Is this needed for blu-ray, too?
The manpage of genisoimage says:
UDF support is currently in alpha status and for this reason, it is not possible to create UDF-only images.
Is the support good enough for blu-ray-discs for playing them on hardware-blu-ray-players? Any other recommended tools?

Perhaps someone has already done that and could post his commandline, that would be great! Thanks.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

imgBurn works great under WINE. I don't have a blu-ray drive to test what you want to do, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
johnny

Post by johnny »

Thanks crowfax for that info. I will try it with wine.
But if anybody knows a way to do this natively under linux, please let me know.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Hey Johnny,

The good news is I found a native solution for you.

The bad news is it's not F/OSS solution.

Nero Linux 4 will burn blu-rays for you: http://www.nero.com/enu/linux4.html. It's $19.99 and has a trial so give that a go before you part with any cash.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
johnny

Post by johnny »

Hi Crowfax,
thanks again for the info. I already know Nero Linux and tried it some time ago. Maybe I try the demo again for blu-ray burning, but still a commandline tool would be my first choice. If the existing tools are not capable of that now, I am sure the support will be added in the future, so until then I try ImgBurn/Wine and Nero Linux.

Johnny
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I've spent some time fiddling with Nero Linux a little today, it seems pretty nice but I'm not sure it's any better than k3b for my uses.
johnny

Post by johnny »

@crowfax: Did you manage to burn a blu-ray with the backup from makemkv with k3b and play it successfully with a blu-ray-player?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I don't have a blu-ray drive to test I'm afraid. I've only been testing the DVD burning functions of Nero.