QT5 and MAKE instruction issues (Mint 21.3)

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
kc7zdm

QT5 and MAKE instruction issues (Mint 21.3)

Post by kc7zdm »

I'm having trouble following the installation instructions for building MakeMKV in Linux. I installed the required tools and libraries, but when I execute ./configure no command is found. After much searching I found the QT5 folder in /usr/lib/qt5 but there is no configure file there, nor is there a qt5 folder in my home directory.

I read something about a PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable, which in my system has no value. I would much rather have MakeMKV in Linux than in a virtual Windows environment. I've never done this before and need some help figuring this out. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

One other thing... I downloaded the source and bin tarballs, moved them to a temporary working folder and extracted them to separate folders. Not sure if that was correct... the instructions don't give any guidance there. At first I tried to extract them to the same folder and found there were bin folders in both, so I didn't as I was afraid I'd overwrite something important.
bmillham

Re: QT5 and MAKE instruction issues (Mint 21.3)

Post by bmillham »

If you are getting not found when typing ./configure then you are in the wrong directory. You need to be in the directory makemkv-oss-1.17.6 to run ./configure

But don't I think from reading your post that you actually followed the instructions. You run the tar command on downloaded tar.gz files and it will create the -oss and -bin directories.
kc7zdm

Post by kc7zdm »

Thanks! I had used the GUI extract utility and didn't get a whole bunch of files on that first pass. Using tar -xf foo I got more this time and was able to follow the rest of the instructions. Noted for next time!

On to the next problem! MakeMKV is not seeing my optical drive so I need to figure that out. Thanks again!
kc7zdm

Post by kc7zdm »

General FYI in case anyone should be researching something similar: The optical drive was in use by Windows running in VirtualBox. Linux does not have simultaneous access and so it doesn't appear in lsblk. The device does show up in lsusb but is not addressable. I'm going to filter the drive out of VirtualBox as Windows appears to recognize it by default.

Just as an editorial comment: I recently blew Windows away and switched to Mint because I refuse to buy a new computer just to run Windows 11. I'm a ham radio operator and there are some programs I just can't run under Linux such as Ham Radio Deluxe, and WinLink to name a couple. VirtualBox seems like a better option than Wine for sure.

Cheers, and thanks for the help!