1.7.10 makes hardware player crash

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
copybb

1.7.10 makes hardware player crash

Post by copybb »

This is an observation and a question at the same time:

Copying a blu ray with the current version 1.7.10 resulted in a mkv file which makes my hardware player (LG Bu Ray Player) crash. Remuxing the file with mkvmerge like

Code: Select all

mkvmerge --compression -1:none makemkv.mkv -o remuxed.mkv
gives a file played by my hardware player. So it must be something about the way the streams are muxed?

With an older version like 1.7.9 I was used to be able to play the files produced by makemkv directly with my hardware player. So I am asking myself, if there were any changes which could explain this behaviour or if this was just bad luck.
Smithcraft

Re: 1.7.10 makes hardware player crash

Post by Smithcraft »

The new MakeMKV has "Many miscellaneous improvements." Perhaps the attachments are causing an issue?

SC
copybb

Post by copybb »

I have to correct myself, I just checked an earlier copy I have made and the regression I described must have been ealier than 1.7.10, but I cannot track down the exact version.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Can you figure out what version started to produce bad MKV files? You can get old versions at /download/old
copybb

Post by copybb »

I'll try my way back and report if I have success with using the copy of makemkv directly with my stand alone player again.
copybb

Post by copybb »

Sorry, I was too quick at all.

What at least seems to be for sure:
- Some files can be played directly with my Hardware-stand-alone-Player, some not.
- all files can be played with my Hardware Player after remuxing them as described above with mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix.

The rest is just confusing:
With 1.7.10 I had all files to be remuxed (but tried the less)
With 1.7.9 the chance is 50:50
With 1.7.8 only files where more than one audio stream was selected needed to be remuxed, but this could just be bad or luck iteself, depending how you like to see it

Sorry for getting no clue.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Do you have attachments (blu-ray cover art) in the remuxed files from 1.7.10 ?
copybb

Post by copybb »

No, sometimes, there are some in the source (~cover.jpg etc), but I only select the English, lossless DTS or ac3 audio tracks and the subtitles tracks available. At least that's my purpose. Should I try to select one of those by purpose to see what behaviour comes out of it?

I was able to make another run with 1.7.10 and I must conclude that I only to begin to notice a problem at all, so I guess there is no direct connection to a certain version at all.

This time, I copied four episodes of a tv series from one blu ray. With all, I selected two audio tracks (dts - dts lossles is not selected - and ac3 commentary track) and several subtitle tracks. I can post the mediainfo output or something like this if someone has a clue, but to my knowledge, all files have the same structure just described. Still, the third of the four files won't play directly - the LG player crashes (reboots). Again remuxing with mkvmerge will solve the problem ...
copybb

Post by copybb »

So far, I am remuxing now by default.

What still troubles me why I see for just about a second a still picture before the movie starts itselfs when playing the file for controlling with vlc. Is this the jpeg-cover file? Why is is added to the movie although I didn't select it?
copybb

Post by copybb »

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.8.0 ( 21.2.2013 )

Bug fixes:
        Cover picture was always embedded into MKV file, even if not selected
I will have another try.