Which bluray burner to buy

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
DukeFleed

Which bluray burner to buy

Post by DukeFleed » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:18 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have been a collector of films and TV series on DVD and Bluray for more than 20 years, and in this time I have made backup copies of the only DVDs that I care about most. I used both MakeMKV and vobcopy/dvdbackup to rip the entire DVD. I'm obviously a Linux user, using Ubuntu 20.04.

After years I would like to make backup copies of my blurays, and since I understand more than DVDs, I read the Arch Linux guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Blu-ray to find out what needs to be installed. I think I understand. I plan to buy the MakeMKV license once I start ripping blurays.

However, I would like some advice on which bluray burner to buy. I'm not interested in UHD, I don't have any titles like that. I had thought about the Asus BW-16D1HT which has a good price on Amazon Italy (I'm Italian). I would connect it via USB thanks to the Inateck USB 3.0 to Sata Adapter that I already own and use for the DVD burner (my PC case has no slots for optical drives). Is this burner ok? Or can you recommend any others? In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I read on this forum that this burner gave problems. Is the Hitachi-LG BH16NS55 or the LG BH16NS40 better? Thank you.

Woodstock

Re: Which bluray burner to buy

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:55 pm

Have you read the topics that already cover what you're asking yet?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

DukeFleed

Post by DukeFleed » Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:11 pm

Hi, thanks for replying to me. No, I didn't read, sorry. I did a quick search, especially on the Asus burner. Can you tell me which threads I should read? Thank you

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:18 pm

Well, there's always Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023 to start with, in the UHD Drives section.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

DukeFleed

Post by DukeFleed » Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:28 am

Thank you. I'm reading, and even if, as mentioned, I'm not interested in UHD, I've taken note of bluray burners. And then for some time I've been thinking that no new models are coming out, the burners to get are always more or less the same ones. And I'm increasingly inclined to get the Asus BW-16D1HT. On Linux I have always had LG burners (DVDs), and if I'm not mistaken Asus has LG optics. So it should be fine.

One last question: is there a list of extracted Blu-ray films/TV series on the forum or on the web? So I would know if my blurays I have have been ripped, and therefore I shouldn't have any problems (I hope). Thank you.