Flashing BU40N in Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
bagger

Flashing BU40N in Linux

Post by bagger » Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 am

Hi all,

As the title indicates, I am trying to flash a BU40N drive. The firmware version is currently 1.02 (encrypted). I can see that it is recommended to flash directly to 1.03MK.

My concern is that I am using a Linux machine to run makemkv, and I am not sure if there are as many protections against bricking my drive using a shell.

Would it be recommended to quickly create a live windows 10 install and use the GUI or is the Linux shell fine?

flojo

Re: Flashing BU40N in Linux

Post by flojo » Fri May 17, 2024 11:12 pm

Do you have a legitimate reason why it's better to do on Windows or are you just afraid of non-Microsoft products (there's a few on here like that).

I've flashed all 3 of mine on Linux because it' what I use. However, outside of a literally brand new LG, they all have SCSi errors. I'm not sure if the SCSI driver can be improved, but if your BU40N was/is like mine, it will throw a lot of SCSI errors regardless of the OS.

People say that the Pionerr drives are the best. Of course people are also irrationally afraid of anything non-Microsoft, so who knows what the truth is about the Pioneer drives and how long they'll last without spotting out SCSI errors.