Segmentation fault on Arch Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Daren

Re: Segmentation fault on Arch Linux

Post by Daren »

It has been 1.5 months now, can we at least get a statement on the status?
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

@daren

Well that is what i also want to know..

I have the feeling that mike is waiting for the big distro vendors to fix the problem, they have makemkv in their repo's and thus they are a distributing this software so they have to maintain it themselves

What if find strange is that mike does respond very recently to this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1840
but doesn't response to a post where lots of people complaining that it is not working anymore?
timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

mwoliver wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:30 pm

Indeed, it would be encouraging to see an ack by mike admin about this problem and a "working on it guys" bit of reassurance before we all delve into potentially destructive means to get makemkv working again. The lack of any sort of comment is a bit worrisome given that this has been a top-of-the-page item for close to a month. One could even speculate that the issues are gargantuan ...
I don't know how gargantuan the problem is, but if it's related to the deprecation of DT_HASH in favor of DT_GNU_HASH in glibc, then it seems a solvable problem. Some info here: https://maskray.me/blog/2022-08-21-glib ... t-gnu-hash

The community could probably figure out a solution for the open-source portion of the code, but can't do much about the secret-sauce binary blob if it is where the problem is triggered. Seems to be since I can run makemkvcon and the GUI without trouble - crash happens as soon as the application attempts to access a disk, which invokes the secret magic.
Master of Thyme and Spice
:D Registered User :D
burgess-m

Post by burgess-m »

pipo233 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:27 pm
What if find strange is that mike does respond very recently to this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1840
but doesn't response to a post where lots of people complaining that it is not working anymore?
Perhaps you meant this post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29136&p=127060#p127060 ?

Mike's response in the topic you linked to was in 2010.
pipo233

Post by pipo233 »

@burgess-m
jeez i missed that topic is from 2010.. i feel stupid

But the point was that mike does respond to other topics but not this one
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

It doesn't look like this problem is going to be fixed anytime soon, if at all, but I figured out a complete MakeMKV/VLC GUI Flatpak solution that works perfectly. I don't use MakeMKV from the command line, but since the GUI works I'm sure there's a way to launch makemkvcon as well. In any case I can now use MakeMKV as I always have, and VLC can actually play Blu-rays with menus better than ever before.

So here are the instructions on how to install from Flathub on Arch. Adjust the instructions as needed for your distro.

Install Flatpak and then reboot:
sudo pacman -S flatpak

Add Flatpak flathub repository:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Install MakeMKV (choose latest app from list like "app/com.makemkv.MakeMKV/x86_64/stable"):
flatpak install makemkv

Install VLC (choose latest app from list like "app/org.videolan.VLC/x86_64/stable"):
flatpak install vlc

Install VLC MakeMKV plugin (choose latest plugin from list like "runtime/org.videolan.VLC.Plugin.makemkv/x86_64/3-21.08"):
flatpak install vlc

Install VLC Java plugin (choose latest plugin from list like "runtime/org.videolan.VLC.Plugin.bdj/x86_64/3-21.08"):
flatpak install vlc

Install VLC FDK-AAC plugin (choose latest plugin from list like "runtime/org.videolan.VLC.Plugin.fdkaac/x86_64/3-21.08"):
flatpak install vlc

That's it. You should now have a working MakeMKV/VLC installation.
Chewi

Post by Chewi »

It's happening on Gentoo as well. I doubt it's the DT_HASH vs DT_GNU_HASH issue, as I had Mike fix MakeMKV to support both back when Gentoo was only using the latter.
Chewi

Post by Chewi »

I've bisected and it's caused by this change. It reverts cleanly against glibc 2.36 and then it works. I'm guessing it won't be hard for Mike to fix.
mwoliver

Post by mwoliver »

Chewi wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:31 pm
I'm guessing it won't be hard for Mike to fix.
...and we can't even get an ack in this thread that it's even on the radar. Frustrating, to be honest. A one-liner like "hey guys, I know things are messed up right now, but sit tight while I sort it out" would go a long way.
Zontar

Post by Zontar »

This error also occurs on Fedora 37 (beta). Fedora 37 should get released next week.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Fixed in 1.17.2, just released.
DepriSheep

Post by DepriSheep »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:58 pm
Fixed in 1.17.2, just released.
Thank you very much!
timeshifter

Post by timeshifter »

I can confirm that 1.17.2 no longer segfaults on my Arch Linux system. MakeMKV GUI (non-flatpak) works again, and integration with other tools (eg. VLC) seems fixed.

Thank you, Mike. This fix is much appreciated. Communications still need improvement, not going to lie, but thanks for being responsive in your own special way.
Master of Thyme and Spice
:D Registered User :D