How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
danBoi2016

How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by danBoi2016 »

Hi, i just brought San Andreas 3D Bluray, just wondering how can i rip it as a 3d bluray image e.g mkv, iso etc
Woodstock

Re: How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by Woodstock »

Depends on what your player can handle...

Option 1: use the Backup function to create an unencrypted backup of the directory, giving you m2ts files that can be read by a lot of 3d players, but not all.

Option 2: open the disk for ripping to MKV files, but make sure the 3d MVC track is included (default is NOT to include it) by expending the title's information (little triangle next to title in left menu). Not all 3d players will see and use this track in an MKV file, though.

In both cases, the result will play as 2d if the player doesn't support it.

And you can't do any post processing of the video at this point, because the MVC track isn't understood by most tools, like handbrake.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

Bringing this thread back to life...

So, the steps are:

1. Use MakeMKV to rip the 3D video as described in post 2
2. Use software that can display 3D file
3. Have a TV or projector that is 3D capable

Is this correct? If so, do you know of software that can be used for 3D for shutter glasses on a Mac?
preserve

Post by preserve »

I haven't been able to get my projector to recognize frame-packed output (for full resolution) from my PC, but it might be a Windows output problem or a software problem.

I convert the 3D MKV file to SBS (side by side), if you go this route you can use any standard playback software if your projector or TV has SBS - most do.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170828
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

Thanks for the reply. I am encouraged by it! I have an Epson 3700 projector which will do 1080p SBS. So, I should rip a 3D movie (I don't have any yet) with MakeMKV, then use BD3D2MK3D.7z (I have a Windows 7 VM on my Mac) to convert it to SBS, then it can play back in Plex? Or do I need VLC or MPV? And 5.1 DTS or DD audio will be preserved? Subtitles? I think I'll get Avatar 3D to try first if this is the process.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Any audio tracks in the original will be preserved, you can choose. Same with subtitles, they will get converted into 3D subtitles.

Result is a regular 2D MKV file with the video being side by side, so any means of playing MKV will work.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

What glasses do you use for SBS playback? How's the quality of the image?
preserve

Post by preserve »

The type of glasses you need will be determined by whether your TV or projector is active or passive.

I use True Depth 3D Firestorm XL, which are active glasses that have the right refresh rate for my projector, but I believe they have rebranded and are selling new models under a different name.

Quality is good, obviously I would prefer frame-packed output and I'm sure I'd notice a difference if I was able to switch to that method, but watching on approximately 120" wall sitting a reasonable distance away, I don't have any problems with the quality.

In BD3D2MK3D you can choose CRF or 2 Pass (and specify a bitrate) so you do have control over the compression.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

preserve wrote:I convert the 3D MKV file to SBS (side by side), if you go this route you can use any standard playback software if your projector or TV has SBS - most do.
Does it matter if it's left-right or right-left encoding? This is for an Epson 3700 projector. The manual says:

Frame Packing
Side by Side
Top and Bottom

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/c ... index.html

Thanks!
preserve

Post by preserve »

Cave Man wrote:Does it matter if it's left-right or right-left encoding? This is for an Epson 3700 projector.
It does matter, but I just use the default - which works correctly in my case - and I believe the default is the more standard way to do it.

Oh, and SBS (technically it's Half-SBS) is better than Top/Bottom by the way. You can Google it if you want to read more. Not sure how/why Top/Bottom even became a thing.
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

hello there, I am all new to makemkv and I am little bit lost. I cannot click on the select file button, it´s not active. Thus I cannot select 3d files etc. Is this a Mac issue? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by ESPNY on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribunal88

Post by tribunal88 »

Cave Man wrote:
preserve wrote:I convert the 3D MKV file to SBS (side by side), if you go this route you can use any standard playback software if your projector or TV has SBS - most do.
Does it matter if it's left-right or right-left encoding? This is for an Epson 3700 projector. The manual says:

Frame Packing
Side by Side
Top and Bottom

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/c ... index.html

Thanks!
If you have a projector that understands frame-packing, I'd stick with that instead of performing a conversion. The file sizes will be smaller overall. I use a Raspberry Pi 3 with Libreelec (Kodi), and it works great. The Pi has a media processor capable of outputting the MVC (frame-packed 3D). The only hitch is you have to tag your filename properly with "<filesname>.3D.sbs.mkv" to help Kodi understand what's going on. Yes, even though it's not SBS, Kodi still needs MVC files tagged w/ SBS in the name.

Now, here's another trick. MakeMKV by default will set a 3D flag in the output file, which makes sense. For some reason, though, I need to remove this flag or Kodi will ignore the 3D and just run it as a 2D movie. Perhaps your player is having the same issue. To remove it, I use MKVToolnix, and edit the header information for the mkv file. Select the video information, and look under the tag for "Video Stereo Mode". It will be set to "13", or at least it is for me. Check the "Remove Element" box on the right hand side, and save the header info. That's what worked for me.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

ESPNY wrote:hello there, I am all new to makemkv and I am little bit lost. I cannot click on the select file button, it´s not active. Thus I cannot select 3d files etc. Is this a Mac issue? Any help would be highly appreciated.
You need to turn on Expert mode, which is actually simpler to work with than "novice mode".

This will give more information on expert mode....

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

Nope, that doesn´t do anything for me. Still impossible to click those buttons :twisted:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What operating system?