How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Cave Man

Re: How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by Cave Man »

Yes, the MVC track was ripped; however, the resulting file does not play properly on my Epson. I'm using a Mac so that software isn't an option for me.

I don't understand the mechanics of this process. Does the video software need to "pass-through" the video to the projector for decoding, similar to how digital optical/coax audio is passed-through to receivers that then decode the AC3/DTS digital audio? If that's the case, then I need to look for software that does "video pass-through", right?
adamin3D

Post by adamin3D »

For the sake of clarification — If I use MakeMKV to rip the 3D disc, including the MVC 3D track, I cannot simply rename the file with "half-sbs" for Plex to recognize it is a 3D movie, correct?

I have to:
1. "Back-up" 3D Blu-ray as a .m2ts file
2. Run it through BD3D2MK3D.7z to mux/create a side-by-side MKV
3. That will appear, in 2D, as 3840x1080 and only play in 3D on Plex if I add "half-sbs" to the file name.

If I just want 2D rips of 3D movies, i.e. the IMAX version of Black Panther, I can simply use the "Open Disc" feature to pull a 2D version.
My first test for this is Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I appreciate the feedback and clarification and for this thread existing. Finding clear, succinct answers has been difficult.
pmhCH

Post by pmhCH »

I have to reactivate this thread as I'm also stuck with this issues - my goal is to play those 3D-mkv's with vlc or Infuse on an Apple TV (with my Samsung 3D TV). Blu rays are fine but I prefer having everything on my NAS.

So now I started to make .mkv files WITH the MVC 3D track - but I don't understand how to continue.

I'm on Mac, should this make any difference.

So if anybody can make a step-by-step guide on how to continue to reach my goal, I would be very grateful ;)
Samsung 78" (still with 3D), ATV 4k (64Gb) running Infuse, Hue Sync + Sonos "5.1"
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

So I've tried the BD3D2MK3D thing, but it throws an error saying it's unable to open the qpfile when it tries to do the encoding.
preserve

Post by preserve »

koberulz wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:22 am
So I've tried the BD3D2MK3D thing, but it throws an error saying it's unable to open the qpfile when it tries to do the encoding.
I've never run into any errors using BD3D2MK3D on over 150 3D Blu-rays.

I've created a dedicated thread for this program... it may be a good place to post detailed information on the specific error you're having:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23561
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Douglasfirs

Post by Douglasfirs »

So I have a couple questions.

I recently purchased a galaxy quest 2. Looking at the file support for video playback content, the Quest 2 does playback MKV files.

With the above being said, I have a hefty collection of 3D Blurays that I'd like to start ripping and play back specifically on my Quest 2. My question is, I ripped Tron Legacy 3D last night. I did the drop down menu on the individual file and selected the MCV or whatever file I was supposed to select. I opened that file in VLC Player on my Mac and it played back as if it was a regular bluray rip. If I transfer that MKV file onto my Quest 2 would that show up as a 3D video or would that play back as a regular video? Or do I have to do some additional step for it to playback as a SBS video.

I have a Mac so I'm not able to use some of the extra software mentioned in this thread for post processing and honestly, I don't even mind having a 20 to 40GB file as I'd just keep them all stored on an external harddrive and transfer them when I want to watch a specific movie. I'm just curious if it indeed will playback as a SBS 3D video if it played back regular on VLC player.

I wish there was an easy way to post process to drop down the file size would be great but if there isn't any mac software, it is what it is. I tried using DVDFab and it was trash. It never got further than 11% so I'm not even going that route.

Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
preserve

Post by preserve »

I don’t know about the capabilities of the Quest 2. If it only supports SBS then no. 3D Blu-rays are not natively SBS.

Here is one thread re: 3D playback:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14456

Now that we have a Blu-ray 3D forum, you may find other useful topics on the subject.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
play11

Post by play11 »

Hello

I was wondering when getting the mkv file can you simply put it on a USB and connect it to a Samsung 3d tv? Would it read properly do you still need to convert it or run it through bd....