Large 3D Movie Collection - Error Logs and Issues....

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
ant75

Large 3D Movie Collection - Error Logs and Issues....

Post by ant75 »

Hello to all.

I have quite a number of bluray movies that I have started saving into MKV format since this
is much much simpler for playback. I hate having to mount ISOs etc or moving through heaps of folders just to play a movie.

The 2D movies I have, all remuxed to MKV fine. The 3D blurays are another story. I had some
that worked and saved correctly. While I can't yet play them in 3D (Lack of software player
support) I can see they are in 3D from the media properties section of the player i use. (Pot
Player.) It shows them to be stereo and with 2 views.

The 3D blurays that don't work are in three error categories. Firstly, there are those that
won't open at all. They state "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be
decrypted." This is rubbish since they are already decrypted. They are all ISO's saved on the
harddisk! They play and work properly in other player software. Power DVD plays them in 3D
when they are mounted.

The second error category are those 3D movies that open and display 3D MVC options and look as if they will save ok. MakeMKV will start to remux them into a MKV file and then at some point it will crash saying the process has failed and 0 titles were saved. Repeating the
process does not seem to help. MakeMKV fails at exactly the same point each time.

The third error category relates to those 3D movies that opened and remuxed ok but do not
show up as 3D when checked with mediainfo in player software such as Potplayer or Media Player Classic Home Cinema. These movies do play and work ok as 2D MKV files but don't show any sign of being 3D. I might be wrong, perhaps the 3D information is there, but it's not showing up for some reason. I have tried multiple players, so the problem seems to be with the MKV files themselves.

Anyhow, good luck on working through these errors. Hopefully, my time and effort in sending
this information will help everyone make a great beta project that much closer to full release
and operation. Thanks for working on a great project!

ROUND 2....

I played around with the movies in ERROR 1 and got most of them to open if I simply deleted
the AACS folder in the root of the ISO file. Yes this simple fix got most of them reading and
at least opening. Crazy, I don't know what AACS is, but it is messing up the opening of the
disks..... Maybe MakeMKV should ignore the AACS folder automatically on ISO files?

Sadly, most of the movies went into ERROR 2 so they are still not properly saved as a MKV 3D
for what ever reasons that are causing ERROR 2.

I was playing some of the 3D ISO's directly with Potplayer after mounting them. I hit media
properties in Potplayer and noticed that some of the 3D original ISO's don't show up as stereo
multiview 2. However, others do show up as stereo. This was rather inconsistent actually, so
ERROR 3 may not be all that concrete... These movies may indeed be in 3D. Until we have player software and can test the output, this becomes a hard case doesn't it?

I emailed the guys at Stereoscopic player and told them about MKV 3D and what you guys are
doing with the MVC streams. He replied by saying that he will add MKV MVC parsing onto the
to-do list. Yippy, we may finally get some player software soon! Stereoscopic player already
plays .SSIF files from unencrypted blu-rays directly, so it should be easy for them to add MVC
support for MKV containers as well.

The list of movies are the following:

ERROR 1: Won't Open

Monsters Vs Aliens
The Lion King

ERROR 2: Open's as 3D But failes during Muxing

Adventures of Tin Tin
Beauty and the Beast
Captain America
Cargo
Cars 2
Chicken Little
Deep Ocean Experience
Finding Nemo
Ghost Rider = Spirit of Vengeance
Green Lantern
Happy Feet 2
Hoodwinked Too
Hugo
I-Robot
Ice Age 4 - Continental Drift
Immortals
Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
Rio
Sanctum
Shark Night
Shrek - Puss in Boots
The Lovers Guide
The Nutcracker
The Three Musketeers
Titanic
Underworld 4 - The Awaking
Up
White Lion
Wildlife Volume 1 - Striker

ERROR 3: Completes successfully as 3D But No 3D Info

Animals United
Arabia
Bolt
Dolphins and Whales
Giants
Grand Canyon
Harry Potter 7 Part 1 and 2
John Carter
Journey 2 Mysterious Island
Legends of Flight
Meet the Robinsons
Narnia 3
Ocean Wonderland
Sammy
Sharks
Street Dance
The Advengers
The Darkest Hour
The last Airbender
The Lorax
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Ultimate Wave
The Universe
Toy Story 2 and 3
Transformers 3
Wrath of the Titans

I have emailed log reports to MakeMKV support for the movies above, so here's hoping we can make a great product even better....
mike admin

Re: Large 3D Movie Collection - Error Logs and Issues....

Post by mike admin »

The "ERROR2" should be fixed in the next version. There is a simple way to verify - try making the MKV file form any "ERROR2" disc, but be sure to de-select all subtitles. If it succeeds without subtitles, then you're hitting an error that will be fixed in the next version.
ant75

Post by ant75 »

Ok, I spent some time and went through a few of the movies in Error 2 again with all the subtitles unticked as you suggested. Indeed, most of the few I tried do now complete successfully. I didn't check them all, but it looks as if this is the root cause for error on most of them. Glad we know what is causing Error 2 and a fix is in the works.

I will wait for the next version of the software to be released and then go through the Error 2 list again. I will post back with the results and other updates I have found. When is the next version due for release anyway?

Any chance of fixing Error 1 in the next release? Automatically ignoring the AACS folder on those ISO's that have it should be easy enough right?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ant75

Hi!
I played around with the movies in ERROR 1 and got most of them to open if I simply deleted
the AACS folder in the root of the ISO file.
What software and procedures did you use to create the problematic .ISO image files from your original, commercial Blu-ray discs?

I ask because it sounds like the .ISO image files may be ENCRYPTED...

ant75

Post by ant75 »

I can't remember the exact program i used to crate the ISO's which were in ERROR 1. I did it a while ago and have since had to reinstall my pc and I never reinstalled that program again cause I started using DVD Fab which offered better features. Some of the DVD Fab ISO's are in ERROR's 2 and 3, but none are in ERROR 1. Dvd Fab removes the AACS folder and adds another folder into the ISO called FABI.

The ISO's in ERROR 1 were not encrypted but had the AACS folder per the original encrypted disk for some reason. That's the problem I think. This AACS folder should only be present on encryped disks. I tested this. I used Power ISO and created a bluray ISO. It contained the AACS folder from the original disk as expected. Power ISO does not decrypt the bluray data. MakeMKV open the ISO and away it went!

So indeed that explains things well. The AACS folder should be present on disks that are encrypted and not present on disks that are not encrypted. I guess I had some poorly produced ISO's then?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Dvd Fab removes the AACS folder and adds another folder into the ISO called FABI.
And if you use MakeMKV instead of DVDFab (Or AnyDVDHD), Make MKV will eliminate the AACS folder and add another folder named "MakeMKV"...

So the question still remains, how did you create DECRYPTED .ISO image files that include the AACS folder?

ant75

Post by ant75 »

Yeah, this is a good point. I did it some time ago.... I think what I did was using Anydvd to mount the disk. It came up with an error at the time stating that I needed an update to read the disc correctly. I think what I did was continue anyway and managed to get the disk to read. I then used Power ISO to create the ISO file.

Anydvd was correct though, the disk had not been mounted properly. I didn't worry though because the movies seemed to work ok when I tested them. I have tested with a new version of Anydvd. It seems to work ok now, no error messages or update requests. It creates its own folder which MakeMKV seems to read fine. So lets not worry about Error 1 any further...... It looks as if I created that problem..... Sorry for the trouble.

Lets work on Errors 2 and 3....
ant75

Post by ant75 »

Have just downloaded and tested the new version of MakeMKV v1.7.10. Mike said he would fix the subtitle error in this release which was effecting the movies in Error 2. Well thanks Mike for fixing this error. I have retested the movies in Error 2 and all but two are now out of Error 2. Some of the movies moved to Error 3 and since they don't show 3D info in codec properties and some have completed successfully with 3D info as showing.

So we are only essentially left with Error 3 problem now. We need player software to properly test whether these movies are actually 3D or not. This has just arrived in the form of Stereoscopic player. A big thanks to the team effort there. I will start testing to see if Error 3 is real or not....

Stereoscopic Player:
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

Error 1 Movies:

The Lion King
Monsters Vs Aliens

Error 2 Movies:

Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance
Wildlife Volume 1 - Striker
ant75

Post by ant75 »

I have done some testing with the movies listed in Error 3 by using Stereoscopic Player:
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

I confirm that 3D is working in ALL movies in Error 3! Hooray!

Yep this error terns out to be false. 3D from MKV is working properly in a real playback scenario!

Stereoscopic Player opens the mkv files just as it did the ssif 3D files. It auto detects the 3D information and starts to play. All you need to do is select your 3D output display method on the menu. I have a HDMI v1.4 3D enabled TV with glasses etc. (The norm for 3D now.) Stereoscopic player must be set to 3D Ready DLP display. You must then manually select the 3D settings on your TV since Stereoscopic player doesn't yet support HDMI v1.4 3D auto setup. 3D Ready DLP is the same as checkerboard mode. Very popular and great quality too. Most 3D TV's should have options to manually set this mode. My Samsung did.

Enjoy!