OT: is there some starters guide for (BluRay) 3D for the home cinema?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
jemima

OT: is there some starters guide for (BluRay) 3D for the home cinema?

Post by jemima »

Hey.

Let's pretend I'm an idiot[0]... is there some starters guide about 3D for the home cinema?

I mean I've made now some backups of 3D BluRays with MakeMKV, but don't have any 3D hardware, yet.

I'd be interested in pros&cons of various systems, like 3D TV (which, AFAIC, are rather out of fashion again?), 3D (laser?) projectors... is it possible to get proper 3D with VR headsets. So in short, what's the best technique for home cinema, and especially one with which I can also play either the decrypted MakeMKV backups (i.e. still with the BluRay directory structure) and/or MKVs.

Do I need any other hardware? How would the playback work? From a laptop? Or would I just plug in a stick with the files to the device?

I've already stumbled over things like MVC vs. SBS and others... what should one look for there?

Thanks,
Jemima

[0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g-Q5n54os
MartyMcNuts

Re: OT: is there some starters guide for (BluRay) 3D for the home cinema?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jemima wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:16 am
Hey.

Let's pretend I'm an idiot[0]... is there some starters guide about 3D for the home cinema?

I mean I've made now some backups of 3D BluRays with MakeMKV, but don't have any 3D hardware, yet.

I'd be interested in pros&cons of various systems, like 3D TV (which, AFAIC, are rather out of fashion again?), 3D (laser?) projectors... is it possible to get proper 3D with VR headsets. So in short, what's the best technique for home cinema, and especially one with which I can also play either the decrypted MakeMKV backups (i.e. still with the BluRay directory structure) and/or MKVs.

Do I need any other hardware? How would the playback work? From a laptop? Or would I just plug in a stick with the files to the device?

I've already stumbled over things like MVC vs. SBS and others... what should one look for there?

Thanks,
Jemima

[0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2g-Q5n54os
I don't think 3D is really much of a thing anymore. It pretty much came and went rather quickly. Is there even new 3D TV's these days? I haven't seen one in about 8 years.

In any case you would need a 3D capable screen. Doesn't matter if it's a TV/projector/monitor etc, it must be 3D capable.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jemima

Post by jemima »

Well I guess 3D TVs might indeed be dead (and I guess given that screens are per se rather small, this was a dead horse from the beginning)... but seems there are still many projectors and headsets/glasses coming out.

So I wouldn't particularly call it dead... there are still new movies in the cinema released with 3D as well as on home media.
WatchingM0vies

Post by WatchingM0vies »

For what it's worth, LIFE OF PI is tremendous in 3d. We don't have any special screen, but do have (an ooold) Panasonic projector that is 3D capable, and 3D glasses for use viewing 3D content. I do think it's a flash-in-the-pan that didn't catch on, but if a creator is imaginative enough it can be great entertainment. I don't have it in front of me but I *think* our LIFE OF PI was a laserdisc. Yeah, we're old school, here.
:) MakeMKV newbie