Anyone else having issues with ripping Avatar WoW Disc 1?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
PaulCB

Anyone else having issues with ripping Avatar WoW Disc 1?

Post by PaulCB »

First disc failed around 30 something percent and then at 60%. Washing it seemed to make it get past the first failure but I couldn't get past the second. It would also freeze at that point when playing it back on my PC but eventually get past it. With my blu-ray player, it does not hickup at all at that point. All the other discs ripped fine. I was able to tell it to 'continue' and after a few hours it made it through but the ISO was unusable.

Just got the replacement disc and the first one is failing again but at 52%. This is with two different drives, a LG WH16NS40 and s60.

Anyone else having success or ever worked around similar sounding disc read issues?

Edit: And now a 3rd one failed. This time at 59%. Even got a different, portable LG drive wp50NB40 but it fails in the same spots. But again, the tv's blu-ray player can play it w/o issues at the point the PC drives have issues.
hypermog

Re: Anyone else having issues with ripping Avatar WoW Disc 1?

Post by hypermog »

Yes, I also have this problem. Second disc rips fine.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

Both comforting to hear and not. :) My discs came from Amazon. Where did you get yours?
I'm going to wait a while and look at picking up one in the fall, from a different retailer, gambling on the issue being resolved by different runs of the product.
hypermog

Post by hypermog »

I got my copy from Best Buy. I'm thinking maybe an import disc will work.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Are we talking about the two disc set (2D only) or the four disc set (2D & 3D)?

With the two disc set, the first disc is the film and the second disc has the extras.

With the four disc set, the 3D version of the film is broken into parts 1 & 2 over the first two discs, the 2D version is on the third disc, and again, extras on the last disc.

(The 3D version doesn't appear to be available on UltraHD.)

My point is, if trying to rip the first disc of the two disc set keeps failing, you could try ripping the third disc of a four disc set? Although I'd be surprised if they're not the same pressing anyway.

Or you could buy the UltraHD version and try the 2D Blu-ray (second) disc from that set? Although again, likely the same pressing.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

This is the 3D forum so we are talking expressly about the 3D discs. Specifically, the first of the 3D movie's 2 discs.
The 2D disc is.. 2D.. So ripping it is irrelevant to the topic of ripping the 3D discs. (Though I didn't have a problem with it nor the Bonus disc, only the first 3D disc).
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

hypermog wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:51 am
I got my copy from Best Buy. I'm thinking maybe an import disc will work.
Since the discs that couldn't rip and would pause and glitch on the PC when playing back but worked without issue at the same spot on the 3d player on the TV, I wanted to try a different brand of drive. All three of my drives are different models but they are all LG, so I got a Pioneer to have (possibly) meaningfully different hardware and firmware. I then ordered the discs from Amazon again.... and the 1st disc copied without issue on my LG... :roll: Second disc ripped fine too, as it had the other 3 times. I guess 4th time was the charm. This might mean that there is a good batch at Amazon now that you could try (or just that I got a good one from dumb luck).
hypermog

Post by hypermog »

Basically same story for me. I re-bought from Best Buy and the new discs ripped fine
peterpannrw

Post by peterpannrw »

Ich hab den Film in BD3D und würde ihn gern für quest 3 in mkv3d SbS rippen .
Kennt einer von euch ne gute Anleitung für den Film ?
von wegen den Einstellungen und Programm dafür ?
Ich verzweifle langsam.
Bei meinen bisherigen versuche, die erstellte Kopie in der Brille zu Kopieren und abzuspielen
waren Grausam bilder ruckelten und waren in der Länge gezogen :-(( :?
Google Translate wrote: I have the film in BD3D and would like to rip it for quest 3 in mkv3d SbS.
Do any of you know a good guide for the film?
because of the settings and program for it?
I'm starting to despair.
In my previous attempts to copy and play the created copy in the glasses
The images were cruel and jerky and stretched out
WinPro 10
RTX 2080 Super OC
Quest 2 und 3
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

I don't have that device so I can't comment but you could try posting at the top level here. Also there are a number of posts on the topic that pop up from a quick search, highlighting that there are ways to play it without having to convert it to sbs type format.
eg:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/co ... back_with/
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/co ... r_viewing/
oggy_hh

Post by oggy_hh »

For Quest 3 rip it with checked MVC option. It looks great with 4XVR-App.

Month ago i bought the Steelbook of Avatar 2 and had problems to rip disc 1. Last week i bought the normal version of Avatar 2 in 3D ... Disc 1 is ripping fine and Disk 2 has read errors. But Disc 2 of the steelbook edition could i rip. The next days i will merge both files and will test it on Quest3.
oggy_hh

Post by oggy_hh »

peterpannrw wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:22 am
Bei meinen bisherigen versuche, die erstellte Kopie in der Brille zu Kopieren und abzuspielen
waren Grausam bilder ruckelten und waren in der Länge gezogen :-(( :?
setz den Haken bei "MVC" und mach kein SBS aus dem Film. Ich hab den Film vorhin kurz angetestet und er sieht auf der Quest 3 super aus.
dmdmmatt4

Post by dmdmmatt4 »

FWIW I have succesfully ripped my 3D UK release disks to a pair of mkv files using a bog standard Matsushita BDRW drive from 2016 or so.