3D Full Frame MVC player

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
fljoemon

3D Full Frame MVC player

Post by fljoemon »

Looking to get a media player that will play the 3D Full frame MVC rips. I do have a Nvidia Shield but it can only play Half-SBS 3D files. Any recommendations for a good player that will play the full frame rips. All the old players seem to have disappeared as 3D is not very mainstream nowadays. Thanks!
preserve

Re: 3D Full Frame MVC player

Post by preserve »

Here's one guide on the topic:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/guide- ... r.2030649/

I never got it to work for me, but I've always been too busy to pursue it further, it may be my projector or my graphics card.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
LuekG

Post by LuekG »

As of January 2020 Nvidia gaming GPU's no longer support stereo with the latest drivers.

So really anything you try will ultimately fail using a PC.

I would suggest looking at picking up a Zappiti media player, they playback virtually any file under the sun including full frame MVC 3D MKV's.

https://www.zappiti.com/our-products

I've used Zappiti players for a while now and have had very little issue with them.

And by very little, I mean they work flawless in playback, I just wish the UI was a little more customizable.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

There are three Kodi-based players I know of that can handle 3D-MVC.

LibreELEC is a special build of Kodi that is stripped own and on the Raspberry Pi3B+ it will handle 3D-MVC all day. Works great, but you are limited to the capability of the Pi3B+. No 4K. No HD audio etc. They have a build for the Pi4, but no ETA on 3D capabilities.

OSMC is another special build of Kodi that also runs 3D-MVC great on a Pi3B+. They too have a build in progress for the Pi4 as well as other hardware platforms, but AFAIK it will only play 3D-MVC on the Pi3B+ just like LibreELEC.

The OSMC Vero4K+. That is a dedicated hardware player with another special Kodi build that can handle 3D-MVC as well as 4K, HD audio, HDR etc. That seems to be the future of 3D for anything Kodi-based.

https://osmc.tv/vero/

I own all three of the above options. The first two are free if you have the Pi hardware. The third one is about $120USD right now and for the money is a great buy. I use it for all my MVC playing in my living room. if it could play all my commercial streaming providers and had a native Plex app it would be perfect.....;)

There are other proprietary devices that can do it like the Zappiti stuff, Popcorn time and probably some others, but they all use proprietary OS's and hardware meaning no integration with existing media platforms like Plex servers etc.

Personally my dream device would be a Shield Pro if they added the ability to play 3D-MVC. We all know that nVidia COULD do that if they wanted, but for some reason they have no interest in doing so. I wish someone were smart enough to write 3D drivers for those things since they do virtually EVERYTHING else that any streamer on the market can do, but better.....;)
krishkal

Post by krishkal »

The OSMC product does look interesting! But, where did you find the $120 price? It’s listed on their site for GBP 107.10, which I believe is closer to $147.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

krishkal wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 am
The OSMC product does look interesting! But, where did you find the $120 price? It’s listed on their site for GBP 107.10, which I believe is closer to $147.
I was quoting a price from memory on what I paid for it. It goes on sale periodically and you may be better off waiting if that's the case, but a Shield Pro and AppleTV both cost more than that and neither can play 3D.