Completely Confused

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
CScace

Completely Confused

Post by CScace »

Hello! I'm new to the forums so please forgive any formatting or etiquette issues with my post.

I was directed to the forums (and more specifically the UHD downgrade methods listed in these subcategories) as I was attempting to rip a 3D blu-ray and was unable to successfully do so.

In all the tutorials I have seen, this is under the video tab (source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDCuGpTGZ4 ) :
What it's supposed to be.jpg
What it's supposed to be.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 21559 times
And this is what I am seeing:
What I'm seeing.jpg
What I'm seeing.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 21559 times
Notice the difference of "Mpeg4-MVC-3D" vs "Mpeg4 MVC High@L4.1/StereoHigh@L4.1"

My player is the BP50NB40-NB50, currently on Firmware 1.03 (the firmware that came preloaded on it).

I am getting conflicting answers on how to downgrade the firmware.

In https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 956#p81374 , MMN says to cross-flash to BP60NB10, while the linked guide https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=18933 (EDIT 01.01.2020) says to flash the firmware BP50NB40 NB50 1.xx_MK (the xx being the firmware you are on), then cross-flashing to BP6-NB10 1.00 firmware. I cannot find the BP50NB40 NB50 1.xx_MK firmware they are speaking of.

To confuse me even more, https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634 says to "use the Asus tool to flash 8/24/19 or later only with HBD firmware only"

To be honest, I'm way over my head here. I'm very confused on what to do. I apologize for the mess of a post, but I would like some guidance.

Any help is much appreciated.
preserve

Re: Completely Confused

Post by preserve »

You need to select the nested MVC track, which is the 3D second eye track. The wording has changed a bit, but “MVC” is the key term. No downgrade needed.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
CScace

Post by CScace »

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the response. :D

I'd like to elaborate on my situation to make my intentions more clear. After processing the 3D MKV, I have been using BD3D2MK3D to convert it to SBS to view on a VR headset. Unfortunately, every attempt has resulted in incorrectly matched eyes, and thus making the movie basically unwatchable in that form. I've been fiddling around with both MakeMKV and BD3D2MK3D trying to resolve the issue, with no luck. I asked on reddit, and they said the firmware needed to be downgraded.

Although this may not be the right place to find an answer for this, does anyone have any advice/know where to ask?

Thanks!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

CScace wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:32 am
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the response. :D

I'd like to elaborate on my situation to make my intentions more clear. After processing the 3D MKV, I have been using BD3D2MK3D to convert it to SBS to view on a VR headset. Unfortunately, every attempt has resulted in incorrectly matched eyes, and thus making the movie basically unwatchable in that form. I've been fiddling around with both MakeMKV and BD3D2MK3D trying to resolve the issue, with no luck. I asked on reddit, and they said the firmware needed to be downgraded.

Although this may not be the right place to find an answer for this, does anyone have any advice/know where to ask?

Thanks!
the firmware will only help with UHD it will do nothing to change the way your 3d movie rips
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
preserve

Post by preserve »

IIRC, BD3D2MK3D has a function to swap the eyes if they’re the wrong way around.

Assuming you’ve selected both the AVC and MVC tracks for ripping, there should be no issues from MakeMKV’s side. MakeMKV is simply copying the video streams off the disc into the MKV container, so as far as I know, there shouldn’t be any firmware issue if MakeMKV is doing its job.

I’ve used BD3D2MK3D extensively and never had an eye-swap issue, or any other issue, although I’m using a projector and not a VR headset... which is the part of your equation that I’m least familiar with, so I’m wondering if there may be an issue there.

Lastly, what Blu-ray are you working on? It’s possible that it’s a movie/release-specific issue.

When you play the SBS file just on your computer, are you getting a normal looking SBS?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
CScace

Post by CScace »

I'm working in the 3D release of Titanic. I've provided screenshots to help narrow down my issue.

Screenshot from the processed MKV, not touched with BD3D2MK3D:
Rip.jpg
Rip.jpg (465.08 KiB) Viewed 21440 times
Screenshot of 3DMKV, processed through BD3D2MK3D:
SBS.jpg
SBS.jpg (500.19 KiB) Viewed 21440 times
Screenshot of file playing in BigScreenVR (my video player):
OculusScreenshot1609522417.jpeg
OculusScreenshot1609522417.jpeg (177.92 KiB) Viewed 21440 times
I'm not too sure of the source of the issue, but assuming that it only appears to be an issue in the player, that may be it.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been quite busy.
Thanks and Happy New Year! :D
CScace

Post by CScace »

Update: My hunch from earlier was correct, it was the player. I opened the movie in Skybox and it works perfectly. :D

Apparently BigScreen does not work with Full SBS files.

Thank you for sticking with me through this little adventure!
MrMason

Post by MrMason »

I had the same problem converting mkvs from 3D blurays in full-SBS or full-OU format using BD3D2MK3D and Bigscreen, plays with Skybox just fine. To make it work with bigscreen delete the --frame-packing 4 option from __ENCODE_3D.cmd and the "--stereo-mode", "0:3" option from __MUX_3D_OPTIONS.json before running the __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd