3D MKV Solution Apparently Found - But Not Sure Why

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
mike_mgoblue

3D MKV Solution Apparently Found - But Not Sure Why

Post by mike_mgoblue »

MAIN SUBJECT: I have found that using MPC-HC with MadVR allows your Windows 10 PC to display a Side-by-Side 3D Image whenever it sees a MVC MKV 3D Blu-ray that has been ripped. You simply right-click, and then select "Options." Then, under "Playback" go to "Output." Then, under "DirectShow Video" select "madVR" and click "Apply" and "OK." You do need to make sure the "K-Lite Codec" Package is installed. When you play the video using MPC-HC at that point, MPC-HC "Automatically" recognizes the 3D MVC MKV file and plays it as a Side-by-Side 3D file. There is no need to use any of that BD3D2MK3D stuff. You simply play the MKV file with the original 3D file that was ripped directly from MakeMKV. This is the way it should have been all along with all the player apps, but for some reason it wasn't.

When I use an HDMI cable to send this signal to my HDTV, my HDTV does not "Automatically" recognize this 3D signal the way it does when I play the disc from the Xbox One. I need to "Manually" select "Side-by-Side" on my HDTV. At that point, the 3D image is 100% perfect - just as if it were being played on the Blu-ray on the Xbox One.

This seems to be the "Solution" that many people online have been asking about.

The only problem I am now experiencing is my laptop computer with Windows 10 is weak. It only has an i3 processor from about six years ago. The 3D Blu-ray video does not play smoothly at all times.

QUESTIONS: I have some questions, though. If people can help answer these questions, I would be thankful.

QUESTION 1: I personally would like to know "Why" this "Solution" of successfully outputting a Side-by-Side 3D image works with MPC-HC and madVR, even though it does not work with other players? For example, when I select madVR with other players such as KMplayer64X, I select madVR, but nothing happens. The 3D file is not recognized by the player and I cannot find a way to output 3D in any way.

QUESTION 2: Is there a way to make VLC show two side-by-side images for a MKV MVC file ripped from Blu-ray? If so, can you please tell me how? I don't want to do all that BD3D2MK3D nonsense. I just want it to be simple the way it is with MPC-HC when MadVR is selected as the Output in Options.

QUESTION 3: MPC-HC now seems to work well with the 3D videos. But, the one I really like is MPC-BE. For some reason, MPC-BE "Automatically" shows a Side-by-Side image, but after 1 second, it "Automatically" pauses. I did some research and saw that this is apparently because Intel processors require a download called "libmfxsw32.dll" and an update of the "LAV Nightly Builds." I downloaded "libmfxsw32.dll," but that did nothing. And I also downloaded the newest "LAV Nightly Builds," but that also did nothing. I also do not use the "FFDShow" that could potentially cause a problem. Other people online said that with MPC-BE, when they watch a 3D movie it will cause them to get a Blue Screen of Death. My computer does not get the Blue Screen of Death; however, it does severely freeze until I go to Task Manager and shut down MPC-BE. There is clearly a problem, but I'm just wondering if anyone might have an answer?

QUESTION 4: Will this improve in the future so that more apps and players "Automatically" recognize the 3D MVC MKV file that was ripped from MakeMKV? Over the last several days I was incredibly disappointed thinking it was simply not possible for these Windows 10 players to output a 3D image ripped from MakeMKV unless all of that BD3D2MK3D stuff was done first - which is very annoying, in my opinion. In fact, earlier today I couldn't even get MPC-HC with madVR to work properly. It was only when I downloaded a newer version of madVR that this worked.

I hope this helps people out.
Last edited by mike_mgoblue on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
preserve

Re: 3D MKV Solution Apparently Found - But Not Sure Why

Post by preserve »

These are really questions for the makers of the playback software, not for MakeMKV.

Short answer: playback software simply doesn’t support 3D MKVs. And yes, you do need a certain amount of processing power - and compatible Windows version, graphics card, and viewing device - for MPC/madVR playback.

Personally I don’t think we’ll see it improve in the future as sadly, 3D is in decline, both on the hardware side and on the Blu-ray side.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

preserve wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:37 am
These are really questions for the makers of the playback software, not for MakeMKV.

Short answer: playback software simply doesn’t support 3D MKVs. And yes, you do need a certain amount of processing power - and compatible Windows version, graphics card, and viewing device - for MPC/madVR playback.

Personally I don’t think we’ll see it improve in the future as sadly, 3D is in decline, both on the hardware side and on the Blu-ray side.
It would be nice if the makers of the playback software recognized these problems - perhaps by seeing complaints on forums such as MakeMKV.

Would it really be that difficult for the makers of MPC-BE or VLC to "Automatically" recognize a MVC MKV 3D format the way MPC-HC does with madVR? And would it really be that difficult to allow people to choose various "Manual" 3D output modes?

I'm just glad I was able to find one solution with the combination of MPC-HC and madVR. Now, I just need to figure out a way to squeeze some better performance out of my laptop. The CPU of the laptop cannot be upgraded. It only has 6GB of RAM. I know it can handle 16GB of RAM. Do you think that upgrade will help improve the framerate with those 3D movies when they are being played in MPC-HC?
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

ADDITIONAL INFO (HOW TO USE MPC-BE TO PLAY MVC MKV 3D MOVIES): I now know of a way to modify MPC-BE to play 3D MVC MKV movies, as well. I will explain how to do this here, and explain "how" I found out how to do this. This means I now know of two reliable PC players - MBC-BE and MPC-HC - that allow 3D MVC MKV movies to be played on a Windows 10 PC.

Today I had a nightmare experience with MPC-HC, because its ability to play 3D movies actually stopped working when I installed Shark Codecs. I literally needed to uninstall every codec and every player and start over. The good news is that I learned a lot more about MPC-HC. I was able to restore the ability of MPC-HC to play 3D MVC MKV movies. And I also learned how to make it so MPC-BE can have that same exact method of playing 3D MVC MKV movies.

In MPC-BE, the first thing you will need to do is select madVR as the Video Renderer. You do this by Right-Clicking on the screen. Then, click on "Options." Then, on the left, click on "Video." Then, select "madVR" as the Video Renderer. Then click on "Apply," and then click on "OK."

The second thing you will need to do in MPC-BE is modify the Video Decoders that are found in Internal Filters. When you start MPC-BE, Right-Click on the screen. Then, click on "Options." Then click on "Internal Filters," which is on the left. Then, at the top, click on "Video Decoders." Take the checkmarks out of the items at the top called "DXVA2: H.264/AVC" and "DXVA2: HEVC" and "DXVA2: MPEG-2 Video" and "DXVA2: VC1" and "DXVA2: WMV3" and "DXVA2: VP9." Based on what other people wrote online and what I also had problems with, if you do not take the checkmarks out of those boxes with the letters "DXVA2" you will have problems such as only seeing a black screen, and also having the MPC-BE app crash. Then, take the checkmarks out of the two boxes that say "H.264/AVC" and "H.264/(MVC 3D)". Then click on "Apply," and then click on "OK." Then, close the MPC-BE app.

The third thing you will need is to make sure there is a Codec Package installed. As I said, the "Shark" Codec Package did not work and only caused problems. The package that does work is the "K-Lite Codec" Package.

When you open MPC-BE again, your MVC MKV 3D movies will automatically be seen in 3D and your standard MKV and MP4 movies will be seen in 2D. For example, when you play an MVC MKV 3D movie, you will see Side-by-Side images on your computer. When you output this to your HDTV via HDMI, you can "Manually" select "Side-by-Side" on your HDTV in order to see the movie in 3D. My HDTV does not "Automatically" detect the 3D signal the way the HDTV "Automatically" detects the 3D signal when the Blu-ray is played from an Xbox One. But, the HDTV allows me to "Manually" select "Side-By-Side." When this is done, the 3D signal from MPC-BE on Windows 10 looks 100% identical to the 3D Blu-ray signal played from an Xbox One.

I hope this helps people out. Now, both MPC-BE and MPC-HC can EASILY be used to play 3D MVC MKV movies.
Last edited by mike_mgoblue on Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mirror79

Post by mirror79 »

Thank you for your great post! Please could you tell me what type of graphic card are you using to play 3D MKVs ? Is it integrated in the CPU? Type of CPU? Or is it an GeForce? Which one? Please be as much exact as you can.

Thank you again.

Regards
M. Hrncir
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

mirror79 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 pm
Thank you for your great post! Please could you tell me what type of graphic card are you using to play 3D MKVs ? Is it integrated in the CPU? Type of CPU? Or is it an GeForce? Which one? Please be as much exact as you can.

Thank you again.

Regards
M. Hrncir
I'm glad this helped you. One thing I forgot to mention before that I am going to add with an "Edit" is that you cannot just be using "madVR." You also need to have a Codec Package installed. When I tried using "Shark," it did not work. But, the "K-Lite Codec Package" does work properly.

I have a Desktop computer and a Laptop computer. The Laptop from 2014 only uses an i3 CPU, and it only has the Intel Graphics features that are integrated into the CPU. The i3 can normally play videos with 1920x1080p Full HD resolution. But it can never play 4K videos online. The 3D MVC MKV files are in 1920x1080p Full HD resolution; however, the Laptop cannot properly play those 3D MVC MKV files. There is a lot of stuttering in the video. It clearly is too much for the i3 processor to handle.

My Desktop computer uses an i7 2600 CPU from 2012. It does not have a graphics card. It only uses the integrated Graphics features built into the CPU. This i7 CPU processor plays the 3D MVC MKV 1920x1080p Full HD movies perfectly fine.

I hope this helps you out.
Andyg4000

Post by Andyg4000 »

Thanks for your info.

using MPC-BE, I manged to play this full screen on my PC and then chrome cast to my Panny 3D TV :D