Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
mike_mgoblue

Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Post by mike_mgoblue »

QUESTION: Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

I have tried to do some research online before giving this a try. Based on what I have read online, it sounds like there is a difference between the Side-by-Side 3D Format and the Top-Bottom 3D Format in terms of whether or not they can be played back properly when in an MKV format. Is this correct? Should I expect problems?

Online I read that the Leawo ripper doesn't have these types of problems. Leawo actually takes a shot at MakeMKV by saying it is older and less reliable. But, I read that on the Leawo website, so obviously they would be trying to promote their own product. I have tried the sample of Leawo and found it has glitches of its own for just 2D Blu-ray movies.

I just want to make sure that if I take the time to backup the 3D Blu-ray by ripping them onto a USB drive to have all the files backed up in one location, I will be able to successfully watch the 3D Blu-rays if I were to connect the USB drive to the SmartTV or if I were to connect the USB Drive to a laptop computer and use some form of player app.

Are there apps that can properly play 3D Blu-ray in the MKV format? I almost always use MPC-BE to watch 2D Blu-rays. But, I haven't tried a 3D Blu-ray before. Will MPC-BE be compatible with both the Side-by-Side 3D Format and the Top-Bottom 3D Format? If not, what app will be compatible with both 3D Formats?

Thank you for answers and help.
preserve

Re: Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Post by preserve »

Short answer, yes, MakeMKV works properly with 3D Blu-rays. It copies the data exactly as it is on the disc into the MKV container.

What you do with the MKV afterwards for playback will depend on the requirements and capabilities of your playback software and hardware.

3D Blu-rays are not encoded SBS or Top Bottom, they are encoded as AVC/MVC. This is output by hardware Blu-ray players as frame-packed. (You can use BD3D2MK3D to convert to SBS if you wish.)

Some related threads:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9702

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14456
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

preserve wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 am
Short answer, yes, MakeMKV works properly with 3D Blu-rays. It copies the data exactly as it is on the disc into the MKV container.

What you do with the MKV afterwards for playback will depend on the requirements and capabilities of your playback software and hardware.

3D Blu-rays are not encoded SBS or Top Bottom, they are encoded as frame-packed. (You can use BD3D2MK3D to convert to SBS if you wish.)

Some related threads:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9702

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14456
Thank you for responding.

I have used this BD3D2MK3D app, but it seems to have severe problems. For example, BD3D2MK3D specifically say it cannot process Dolby TrueHD audio in the Batman vs Superman Blu-ray I used. It also appears that MD3D2MK3D does not produce exact copies of the video the way MakeMKV does. It seems to be more like Handbrake where it is re-encoded in ways that alter the video bitrate. Is that correct?

If that is correct, it is a BIG disappointment.

Are there any other ways of putting 3D Blu-rays on a hard drive as a backup and in order to have your discs in one place for convenience on a large hard drive?
preserve

Post by preserve »

The limitation is the playback. 3D Blu-rays are not stored as SBS so if your hardware and software requires SBS then you must re-encode the file, although you can do so in sufficiently high quality if you wish.

BD3D2MK3D can do TrueHD with additional demuxing.

This is a good thread re: 3D playback:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14456
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

preserve wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 am

3D Blu-rays are not encoded SBS or Top Bottom, they are encoded as frame-packed.
QUESTION: Above, you previously said that "3D Blu-rays are not encoded Side-by-Side or Top Bottom, they are encoded as frame-packed." When I use MPC-HC with madVR to play 3D MVC MKV files, it is seen as a Side-by-Side image on the laptop and on the HDTV screen until I "Manually" select "Side-by-Side" on the HDTV. Then, it becomes a unified 3D image. When this method is used with MPC-HC and madVR, does the resolution remain as high as it is when played directly from the Blu-ray disc on an Xbox One? Or is the resolution cut in half?
preserve

Post by preserve »

mike_mgoblue wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am
When I use MPC-HC with madVR to play 3D MVC MKV files, it is seen as a Side-by-Side image on the laptop and on the HDTV screen until I "Manually" select "Side-by-Side" on the HDTV. Then, it becomes a unified 3D image. When this method is used with MPC-HC and madVR, does the resolution remain as high as it is when played directly from the Blu-ray disc on an Xbox One? Or is the resolution cut in half?
Ah I didn't read your other thread carefully enough. I thought that you were talking about a frame-packed output method, which would be full resolution playback, just as if playing the Blu-ray disc itself. If it's on-the-fly SBS, then yes, I'm guessing that the horizontal resolution is being cut in half - you'd be able to tell if the SBS playback appears squished.
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

preserve wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:39 pm
mike_mgoblue wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am
When I use MPC-HC with madVR to play 3D MVC MKV files, it is seen as a Side-by-Side image on the laptop and on the HDTV screen until I "Manually" select "Side-by-Side" on the HDTV. Then, it becomes a unified 3D image. When this method is used with MPC-HC and madVR, does the resolution remain as high as it is when played directly from the Blu-ray disc on an Xbox One? Or is the resolution cut in half?
Ah I didn't read your other thread carefully enough. I thought that you were talking about a frame-packed output method, which would be full resolution playback, just as if playing the Blu-ray disc itself. If it's on-the-fly SBS, then yes, I'm guessing that the horizontal resolution is being cut in half - you'd be able to tell if the SBS playback appears squished.
I think you are correct that it likely is "frame packed" 3D technology, but I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps if you have any of the Blu-ray 3D movies I'm referring to, you will know. I will explain.

I have tried this on 3D Blu-ray movies such as Terminator Genisys, Superman vs Batman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League. When I play those movies with a player such as VLC or MPC-BE, they play as 2D movies that fill the screen (some of the movies have black bars at the top and bottom). But, the 2D versions of the movies do not play as "on-the-fly Side-by-Side" video. For some reason, when I play the movies with MPC-HC, the entire video for each of those switches to Side-by-Side" video where I am now looking at "two" images of the same movie. The HDTV has the ability to convert those "two" Side-by-Side images into "one" 3D Image when I "Manually" use the HDTV to select "Side-by-Side."

When I play each of those 3D Blu-ray movies in my Xbox One, they are never seen as "Side-by-Side" in any way. Each of those movies is "Automatically" determined to be 3D by the HDTV. The HDTV delivers a message saying "A 3D signal has been detected" and it displays in 3D Automatically.

Do you know if those movies are "Frame Packed" natively on the Blu-ray? Or are they natively "Side-by-Side"? I'm just wondering, because it seems as though Side-by-Side would be limited to half the resolution. But, this seems like something I never even noticed until I saw this on the PC.

Also, today I had a nightmare experience with MPC-HC, because its ability to play 3D movies actually stopped working when I installed Shark Codecs. I literally needed to uninstall every codec and every player and start over. The good news is that I learned a lot more about MPC-HC. I was able to restore the ability of MPC-HC to play 3D MVC MKV movies. And I also learned how to make it so MPC-BE can have that same exact method of playing 3D MVC MKV movies. The key is to make sure the "K-Lite Codec" Package is installed. I will explain this in that other post where I mention this. This means I now know of two PC player apps that easily play 3D Blu-rays in MVC MKV format.
Last edited by mike_mgoblue on Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Yes, the Blu-ray 3D format is natively encoded as “full resolution” (and thus same when MakeMKV rips it), which is output by hardware Blu-ray players as "frame-packed."

When played by software without support, you will see just one of the eyes as 2D playback. (Which is why I always want a proper 2D Blu-ray for the films I own in 3D, and don’t watch 3D Blu-rays as 2D, as there can be a lot of digital painting if it’s a conversion.)

Your current config is outputting with “on-the-fly” processing to SBS and your viewing device is interpreting that output. If you look at that link in my last post you’ll see discussion on playback output as frame-packed with output hardware and viewing device that will support that method.
copperjr

Post by copperjr »

Ripped 3D Blu Ray here and DVDFab12 (which offered a 3D check box option) Both files playback fine as 2D. I am trying to get them to playback 3D on PLEX thru my Apple TV 4K. I've tried a bunch of things and the framepacking software doesn't fly on my system. I hit the 3D option on my SONY Bravia and it says option not available while the movie is playing. Help?
magingen

Post by magingen »

copperjr wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 am
Ripped 3D Blu Ray here and DVDFab12 (which offered a 3D check box option) Both files playback fine as 2D. I am trying to get them to playback 3D on PLEX thru my Apple TV 4K. I've tried a bunch of things and the framepacking software doesn't fly on my system. I hit the 3D option on my SONY Bravia and it says option not available while the movie is playing. Help?
Apple TVs cannot play proper 3D content. You'll need a dedicated player like the Vero 4K+ or the DuneHD Real Vision 4K in order to play 3D MVC. RasPlex on the Raspberry Pi 3 is also an option, but that can't bitstream lossless audio, so no TrueHD Atmos (though neither can the Apple TV).
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Eventhough this thread is rather old, the topic I find still actual. I'm surprised to see a specific matter not being mentioned. Which is about the authored depths of 3D subtitles.

This post is probably not interesting for most people. But to those who are subtitle minded, or who just wonder why display of these native depths may not work with MVC mkv, I'd like to explain. Where first taking a step back and have a quick look at 3D blu-ray may be handy to understand some basics.

I'll disregard 2D playback for now. Rare occasions aside, 3D blu-ray have regular (2D) PGS. The dependent MVC stream carries a number of (max 32) so-called "3D-planes". These 3D-planes hold information about the depths for subtitle playback in 3D. Note that these depths can vary for each individual subtitle image. Each PGS has a specific 3D-plane assigned. This assignment is written in the mpls files. During 3D playback, the player constantly applies the depth information (from the 3D-plane that's assigned to the currently active PGS) to render a second SUP stream with the correct offsets. Which resulting images are overlayed on the frames that are designated to the other eye.

When MakeMKV creates a mkv from 3DBD, it indeed leaves the AVC, MVC, but also the regular PGS streams untouched. The 3D-planes stay included in MVC. In the past, the 3D-plane assignment in the mpls file always went lost. I've learned that the author of BD3D2MK3D once asked MakeMKV to include this assignment data. I don't know since exactly when, but MakeMKV now indeed writes the plane assignment in a tag.

On playback of the mkv, obviously the native subtitle depths can only be reconstructed when a player can read this tag in the first place, and then process the data properly. I'm not able to tell though which (if any) player has this ability. As for myself, I hardly use mkv for 3D purposes.

Hopefully this post clarifies some things for whoever wants to know.
RaphaelLouis

Post by RaphaelLouis »

Sorry to hammer on a nearly 3 year old topic, but, has anything "evolved" to allow 3D rips to play frame-packed decrypted content to a compatible 3D TV? Here's my wishlist/specs:
  • I have a Sharp HD 3D TV.
  • I have an AppleTV connected to it.
  • I don't care whether I need to "backup" (BDMV) the 3D Blu-Ray or make an MKV file. I can do either.
  • I have an iMac Pro (not to be confused with the Mac Pro) that would store either the BDMV or the MKV file(s).
  • I would like software capable of reading the file(s) in my iMac Pro and transmit the signal via WiFi to the AppleTV. I know and have read that AppleTV does not support 3D. But correct me if I am wrong but this would be a software limitation, no? See next item.
  • I would like software installed on the AppleTV capable of receiving the signal sent via WiFi from the iMac Pro software and properly play frame-packed full HD, highest sound quality available in the rip.
All of this I mentioned seems to be something that should be possible with quality software, no? If you think about it I am not asking for too much. It's pretty much the same way that Plex and Infuse work together for other formats...!

I am in IT. I'm a Database Administrator, and I do know some programming, but I obviously lack the skills to create the two pieces of software required, otherwise I would be rich selling the software to all of us 3D aficionados staaaaarving for someone to create this software and make it all possible.

Anyone with the proper skills reading this, please, think about it. You could be rich! I'd pay, let's say, $200 for it without a flinch. And I'm sure other people would too! Anyone? Please?

Thanks for reading. Best, R.
croweyes1121

Post by croweyes1121 »

Yes, this can be done. I assume what you're attempting to do is rip a 3D Blu-ray to something like a HDD or SSD, plug that in via USB, and play back the frame-packed 3D Blu-ray on your standalone player on your 3DTV. This is easy as hell, but PICKY as hell. SO easy in fact that I couldn't believe it was something so simple, but I've tested this now with several discs, and it has worked every time.

1. Rip just the movie file with MakeMKV, and make sure you check the MVC video stream. All of that we knew...
2. Open the resulting MKV file with tsmuxer and export to m2ts. Now - HERE'S the VITAL step that makes the file work...when you load up the MKV file into tsmuxer, the MVC video is in Position 1 by default. You MUST highlight the MVC video and move it down to Position 2. THAT'S IT. That's the whole damned problem. I don't know why this is a thing, but it is. Once you get your m2ts file, just throw it on your USB drive, and your player will play it back just like a 3D Blu-ray disc, auto-detecting the 3D signal and all. Hope this helps!
CovertRain

Post by CovertRain »

Learning as I go here. So, I have an Epson Projector, Onkyo AVR, Apple TV and Plex. Trying to get my 3D MKV files to play in 3D but my projector doesn't recognize. I did follow the pinned 3D post to make sure I was getting the MVC track. From what I gather, I need to either use a tool to convert the file to SBS format so that I can play it.

So far, I have heard people mention tsMuxeR, BD3D2MK3D (which apparently maxes out at 720P) and DVD Fab. Am I understanding this correctly?
dmdmmatt4

Post by dmdmmatt4 »

I have one device that can play 3D MVC video from .mkv files, over HDMI as frame packed full HD 24p 3D to a suitable 3D TV.

OSMC's Vero series (latest is the Vero V). And it can do this with files fed to it from USB sticks, NFS/SMB shares, uPnP file shares, you name it. https://osmc.tv/vero/ <--- shameless plug!

Others can probably do it too, but most don't as 3D was always a bit of a niche product. If you know what it can do and you have a good system, you know why you want it, but for the mass market or those with poor playback devices it was never going to take off.