Re: 3D is broken on the 1.15.2

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Giffdev wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm
I saw this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... h=4c43a0a4

which I found via this plex thread
https://forums.plex.tv/t/proper-naming- ... t/149375/2
If you read these carefully you'll see that they both refer to the Orca client for Samsung only as was also mentioned earlier in this thread. That's also what I was alluding to with regard to the 3D Blu-Ray player.....Samsung Blu-Ray players (in some cases) also could stream 3D files.

Also, they specifically referred to creating M2TS files. That's great if you have a single use case. However, you can't remux those files with additional audio tracks and such.....at least not in any way I know of as they are not MKV containers.

Plex itself has nothing to do with 3D. It spews a bitstream to your client in whatever fashion it can handle it. If your client is Kodi/LibreElec or OSMC running on a Pi3B+ it can play those 3D files in all their glory and may even switch your TV appropriately. However, you lose HD audio and any resolution above 1080, which means it's essentially a one trick pony if you ALSO want to play 4K, Atmos, DTS-HD etc.

For the time being that is what I do when I want to watch 3D-MVC.
Giffdev

Post by Giffdev »

Cool cool cool, good to know. Sorry if I got your hopes up, it's a little hard to parse all this as I am not steeped in all this yet. I also am not using Kodi or anything other than the plex client on whatever device I happen to watch on.

So, it sounds like for 3D, I still have the open question of whether 3D is completely broken on the 1.15.2 release of MakeMKV. I tried to go to an older version (1.15.1) but got an error when I installed it saying I needed to register to be able to run it, or else needed to install the latest version.

1. So, is it useless for me to rip any 3D movies now until 1.15.3 comes out?

2. Assuming I had a 3d MKV rip, are you saying that plex will still play the 3d content to my (3d) tv, but I just need to manually grab the remote and put it in 3D mode for that, assuming I am not doing anything special?
2.a) if that's the case, again I'm wondering is there a way to know what KIND of 3D a disk is using?
Jordbrett

Post by Jordbrett »

Just use the current registration code and you should be able to run it just fine. I literally just installed it after accidentally ripping some 3D movies in the newest release.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Giffdev wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 pm
So, it sounds like for 3D, I still have the open question of whether 3D is completely broken on the 1.15.2 release of MakeMKV. I tried to go to an older version (1.15.1) but got an error when I installed it saying I needed to register to be able to run it, or else needed to install the latest version.
You can install the last version. You have to enter the beta registration key.
Giffdev wrote:
1. So, is it useless for me to rip any 3D movies now until 1.15.3 comes out?
v1.15.1 is still completely functional.
Giffdev wrote:
2. Assuming I had a 3d MKV rip, are you saying that plex will still play the 3d content to my (3d) tv, but I just need to manually grab the remote and put it in 3D mode for that, assuming I am not doing anything special?
Depends on the 3D format it was ripped TO. Plex can play TAB/SBS formats fine as there is absolutely nothing special about the files. It is just a 1920x1080 stream that is divided into halves, each with part of the total image......one for the left eye and one for the right eye. The TV does the work of putting the frames back together so you would need to manually switch the TV into the proper mode. Just keep in mind that this is technically only half resolution 3D for reasons that aren't related to the topic at hand. You may not notice any difference, especially if played on a 4K/3D TV that upscales it.

If you are talking about 3D-MVC which is the only kind that MakeMKV can make, then Plex can't play them in 3D at all. It will play that same file in 2D, but it is incapable of seeing or sending the MVC video data that makes it 3D.
Giffdev wrote:
2.a) if that's the case, again I'm wondering is there a way to know what KIND of 3D a disk is using?
I don't understand the question to be honest. A 3D Blu-Ray is just AVC video that is uncompressed. There is a second "stream" (I don't know if I'm technically accurate here, but I'm trying to explain it the way I understand it) that contains the "stereo video" information, making the video 3D. MakeMKV (and a few other programs) can rip that into the output MKV file. The player has to be able to detect that extra video info as well as send it along within the primary video stream for the TV to see it.

That is NOT the same as whether or not the TV will automatically switch into the proper mode. If it does not play in 3D by default, but if you manually switch the TV into 3D it might still play....maybe. Again, though.......NOT in Plex unless it's the TV's built in Plex client. There are ZERO native Plex clients that can play 3D-MVC content on their own except for the aforementioned Orca player on Samsung TV's.
Giffdev

Post by Giffdev »

KaraokeAmerica wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:57 pm
If you are talking about 3D-MVC which is the only kind that MakeMKV can make, then Plex can't play them in 3D at all. It will play that same file in 2D, but it is incapable of seeing or sending the MVC video data that makes it 3D.
Thanks for all the info, especially this. OK, for a newbie like me, say I've successfully backed up 3D mkv files and want to view them on my tv. What is the best solution to successfully do that, if plex and other apps can't read the 3D mkv file?
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Giffdev wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 pm
Thanks for all the info, especially this. OK, for a newbie like me, say I've successfully backed up 3D mkv files and want to view them on my tv. What is the best solution to successfully do that, if plex and other apps can't read the 3D mkv file?
I don't know what kind of player you are trying to use, but here is a link at Plex about a Windows PC:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-4k-hdr-a ... ows/219727

In the Kodi forums:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354168
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

Has this been resolved in 1.15.3? No mention of it in the update notes.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

I'm still running 1.15.1 for now.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23322

It probably has been fixed in 1.15.3.
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

So how do I know which of my files are affected? I have a lot of 3D movies, a few of which were likely ripped with 1.15.2, but also a few which probably weren't. Is there a way to tell which is which?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There's an open source program called MediaInfo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaInfo) that can tell you quite a lot about your files, including which version of MakeMKV made your MKV file.

For example:

Code: Select all

Format                         : Matroska
Format version                 : Version 2
File size                      : 20.1 GiB
Duration                       : 1 h 56 min
Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
Overall bit rate               : 24.7 Mb/s
Encoded date                   : UTC 2019-05-30 19:15:40
Writing application            : MakeMKV v1.14.3 darwin(x64-release)
Writing library                : libmakemkv v1.14.3 (1.3.5/1.4.7) darwin(x64-release)
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

I'm familiar with it, but I'd never studied that section before so I didn't realise it had that info.

Unfortunately I've obviously remuxed a couple of my 3D films because it lists mkvmerge there instead of MakeMKV. But that narrows it down at least.