Toy Story 4 3D UK - Memory Error

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
preserve

Toy Story 4 3D UK - Memory Error

Post by preserve »

I don't remember ever seeing this error before while trying to make an MKV...

The title in question is playlist 800, the main feature, and this is the error:
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 33554432 at F0k-@3knJS9BrJ)\XzJ`Tr,:213129639
002022:0000 Failed to allocate memory for write cache, can't continue. Please change read buffer size in preferences or close other applications.
005003:0000 Failed to save title 0 to file E:/Video/Toy Story 4 3D UK/Toy Story 4_t00.mkv
005004:0080 0 titles saved, 1 failed
005037:0204 Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed.
- It seems to finish the "Analyzing Seamless Segments" step, and then the next step "Saving to MKV file" is where it stops.

- My "Read buffer size (MB)" setting is set to the maximum from the dropdown, 1024 MB.

- I don't have any other applications open, and I also restarted my computer for a fresh start in case long ripping sessions were having an effect.

- I backed up the disc without any problems, and the same error message occurs whether trying to make an MKV straight off the disc or from the backup.

- The title does seem to have an excessive number of segments, 52 in total, with all of them being double segments as it's 3D. The Segment Map list doesn't even list them all, it gets through some of them and then just has "..."

- A test dump does not suffer the same error message when processing the title, it proceeds normally after the "Analyzing Seamless Segments" step instead of failing, and completes successfully. I have submitted the test dump and other standard support files to the support email.

- I'm a long-time (and registered) MakeMKV user, I'm always backing up my discs and have done hundreds of Blu-rays, including well over 100 3D titles, including other recent Disney 3D titles just today, both before and after attempting this one. Before anyone starts asking me to look for a problem on my end, nothing about my drive or computer has changed, I make sure my discs are immaculate, etc, etc. (My ripping station is a Windows XP SP3 machine with 3GB RAM and a few hundred GB of hard drive space, an older machine yes but again, I have no problems with any other Blu-ray, with most of my purchases being newly released Blu-rays, and I've backed up UHDs as well.)

- I found one other thread on this film, where it sounds as if the user had success with their disc, although I'm not sure if it's the exact same disc or not.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
preserve

Re: Toy Story 4 3D UK - Memory Error

Post by preserve »

So Mike answered and solved this for me very quickly!

The issue was that making an MKV with this particular disc, I ran out of virtual memory as one would expect from the error, and perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively (at least to me, since I didn't really understand the read buffer and figured that more=better), the solution was to change the read buffer setting to 512 MB, a middle value, instead of the maximum value that I had. I probably should have thought of trying that!

Well, at least this forum post might help someone else in the future!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00