3D MKV files

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Giffdev

3D MKV files

Post by Giffdev »

Hey folks, hoping for some clarification here. I've googled a lot, but most threads I come across are 2-6 years old, and at the speed software changes, I figured it best to just ask this fresh.

I am making my first foray into backing up my movie collection for Plex with MakeMKV, and so far, so good. I have ripped all my dvds and blu-rays, and have moved on to try and figure out 3d Blu-rays.

I have successfully seen that movies like Star Trek Into Darkness 3d or Alita Battle Angel 3D are able to be seen by makeMKV when I put the disk in the drive, and the mkv file rips successfully when I check the Stereo image.

My next step was opening it on my computer (on a 2d monitor in VLC), and expected / hoped to see some kind of side-by-side style version of the movie, but instead I see what looks to be a normal 2D movie playing.

My question is, can I trust the file is still in 3d and if i open it on a 3D tv and tell the TV to go into 3d mode, the MKV file (via plex) will display 3d properly, or do I need some program like BD3D2MK3D to actually make a 3d file a tv will recognize. I have been hesitant to do this, since I am wondering if the most recent MakeMKV update is packaging everything correctly to begin with, and also thought I saw that BD3D2MK3D might not process TrueHD and other lossless audio properly. Obviously, I'm hoping to do as few steps as possible for this, and am hoping the MKV file is all I need, but haven't seen anything made after 2018 that really explains this properly.

Thanks in advance for the help.
preserve

Re: 3D MKV files

Post by preserve »

Giffdev wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:33 pm
... opening it on my computer (on a 2d monitor in VLC), and expected / hoped to see some kind of side-by-side style version of the movie, but instead I see what looks to be a normal 2D movie playing.
That's correct, VLC etc don't offer an on-the-fly SBS mode.
Giffdev wrote:
... BD3D2MK3D might not process TrueHD and other lossless audio properly
I don't have a nice sound setup, but I've seen no issues with lossless audio in my resulting files - I don't convert the audio. As for TrueHD in particular, again no problems - there is a warning that pops up regarding demuxing, but it's just to notify you that a separate additional demuxing pass will be necessary.
Giffdev wrote:
... if i open it on a 3D tv and tell the TV to go into 3d mode ... I have been hesitant to do this ... if the most recent MakeMKV update is packaging everything correctly to begin with
MakeMKV should be packaging everything correctly... why be hesitant, why not just try it?

I don't have a 3D TV and my 3D Projector doesn't recognize the 3D MKV frame-packed playback, so I've been forced to go the BD3D2MK3D route, but the fact that BD3D2MK3D works just fine indicates to me that MakeMKV is doing its job.

Perhaps someone who is using a 3D TV can confirm further, but I wanted to at least give you some type of reply to get you started.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Giffdev

Post by Giffdev »

Thanks, I appreciate how helpful this forum has been so far. I do have a very nice setup, and I just want a "no-compromise" where backing up my disks doesn't result in losing fidelity i'd have if i were playing off the disk, so that was where i was coming from, from an audio standpoint :)
Jman5150

Post by Jman5150 »

I downloaded the bdmvm2bd software on windows parellel and it said i had to download avi synth. Well i downloaded about 3 versions all failed to install. Getting worried i messed something up. Do any of you have a link to the right file?
preserve

Post by preserve »

Were you able to get it to work?

I have the required version 2.6 (AviSynth_260.exe) saved together with BD3D2MK3D in my software folder, so evidently that was the version I used, and I don't recall having any installation issues with it.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Avisynth
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
pmhCH

Post by pmhCH »

An old thread, I know, but I just started to covert my 3D BD’s with above mentioned method and I’m not sure I’m doing it correctly as the final output file is a third from the original mkv (from 15.6GB to 5.1GB

Can you guys confirm this? If not, my settings must be somehow wrong - I didn’t change the defaults, in the shell it says something like « 8bit, high »…

PS: In the project I could change for example 8bit to 10bit - does it always make sense to receive the best quality? Also the encoding speed is set to medium - is less speed really much better?

All in all I would like to have the best quality - I don't care about file size or time it takes for every movie...

Thanks in advance for your support!
Samsung 78" (still with 3D), ATV 4k (64Gb) running Infuse, Hue Sync + Sonos "5.1"
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I don't use any of the above software. I simply check the stereo video track in MakeMKV and rip the file, then I drop the file into MKVmerge (or MKVToolNix or whatever it's called nowadays) and it automatically recognizes it as a 3D file and changes the output format from "xxx.mkv" to "xxx.mk3d"

Then I mux the file, without re-encoding anything, and job done! Only takes a few minutes even on my slow old PC.

Having said all that, I don't have a 3D TV (yet) to try these files with so I can only assume they will play in Plex once I upgrade my TV.

I might be wrong here, but I thought the file simply needed to contain the stereo video track and the TV can decide whether it uses TaB or SbS mode or whatever?
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:33 am
I don't use any of the above software. I simply check the stereo video track in MakeMKV and rip the file, then I drop the file into MKVmerge (or MKVToolNix or whatever it's called nowadays) and it automatically recognizes it as a 3D file and changes the output format from "xxx.mkv" to "xxx.mk3d"

Then I mux the file, without re-encoding anything, and job done! Only takes a few minutes even on my slow old PC.

Having said all that, I don't have a 3D TV (yet) to try these files with so I can only assume they will play in Plex once I upgrade my TV.

I might be wrong here, but I thought the file simply needed to contain the stereo video track and the TV can decide whether it uses TaB or SbS mode or whatever?
Doesn't work!
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Donpoku wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:34 am
Doesn't work!
DOH!

Oh well, I hope my .mk3d files are still usable for the tried 'n true method above, otherwise I'll need to rip all my 3D content all over again!

Thanks for the confirmation.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:38 am
Donpoku wrote:
Doesn't work!
DOH!

Oh well, I hope my .mk3d files are still usable for the tried 'n true method above, otherwise I'll need to rip all my 3D content all over again!

Thanks for the confirmation.
Yeah your method would have been perfect if it worked as takes few minutes compared to BD3D2MK3D which takes hour/s plus your to fiddle with settings on BD3D2MK3D.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
MVC 3D and SBS or TAB are two entirely different things. MVC 3D contains two separate videostreams for each eye. This type of 3D video alsways require a MVC compatible player that can decode and output the alternating left/right frames to TV. It's a frame-sequential process.
SBS and TAB is only one videostream which every frame always carry both left- and right-eye images. Which often is much easier recognized by players. Even when played by a 2D player, the tv will recognize 3D and will process the video properly as such.
Donpoku wrote:
Doesn't work!
Depends on the player. Some 3D players only recognize and playback MVC 3D when muxed as separate m2ts containers in bluray folder architecture or its ISO. Just like on 3D bluray disk. And may not when both streams are interleaved into one videotrack and muxed in MKV, such as MakeMKV does. And some players do process 3D mvc mkv properly, but only when a certain file-renaming convention is honoured.
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

ArArdin wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:02 am
Radiocomms237 wrote:
MVC 3D and SBS or TAB are two entirely different things. MVC 3D contains two separate videostreams for each eye. This type of 3D video alsways require a MVC compatible player that can decode and output the alternating left/right frames to TV. It's a frame-sequential process.
SBS and TAB is only one videostream which every frame always carry both left- and right-eye images. Which often is much easier recognized by players. Even when played by a 2D player, the tv will recognize 3D and will process the video properly as such.
Donpoku wrote:
Doesn't work!
Depends on the player. Some 3D players only recognize and playback MVC 3D when muxed as separate m2ts containers in bluray folder architecture or its ISO. Just like on 3D bluray disk. And may not when both streams are interleaved into one videotrack and muxed in MKV, such as MakeMKV does. And some players do process 3D mvc mkv properly, but only when a certain file-renaming convention is honoured.
Thanks m8 very detailed response.

What is the naming convention?

Looking for full frame pack 3d(1:1) to a MINIX u22 xj-android 9 media box to a lg 3d tv, so far have tried MUX to mk3d, m2ts, mkv 3d but none works. And of course dvdfab and bd3d2mk3d is not 1:1 copy

So I am thinking of buying a vero+/ dedicated MVC player.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I'm not familiar with the MINIX U22-XJ. But I have a similar build Ugoos AM6+ resting in peace in my dusty attic somewhere. Of which I know it did 3D MVC perfectly.
So before buying a new player just for 3D, I'd first check & ask at the dedicated forum for your machine: https://theminixforum.com/index.php?for ... 22-xj.130/

BTW have you tried to play ISO from the 3D disk with your player?
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:43 am
I'm not familiar with the MINIX U22-XJ. But I have a similar build Ugoos AM6+ resting in peace in my dusty attic somewhere. Of which I know it did 3D MVC perfectly.
So before buying a new player just for 3D, I'd first check & ask at the dedicated forum for your machine: https://theminixforum.com/index.php?for ... 22-xj.130/

BTW have you tried to play ISO from the 3D disk with your player?
Thanks again m8 will ask there, btw I'll be happy and grateful to take Am6+ of your hands (uk :mrgreen: ).
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

If I'm correct, your player has the same Amlogic S922XJ as my Ugoos. Therefore I can't imagine your Minix not being able to handle MVC 3D properly.
What isn't clear to me is if you've tried to play from 3DBD ISO or folder structure?