3D Blu Ray rip does not result in OU/TB screen

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
DaveCool

3D Blu Ray rip does not result in OU/TB screen

Post by DaveCool »

Hi,
I am new to MakeMKV and I use it to make a digital backup of my Blu Ray disc.
I have a 3D Blu Ray, which contains a 3D disc and a normal 2D disc.
I want to make a backup of the 3D Blu Ray disc.

I manage to make a copy by MakeMKV, but it results in a 33GB 2D movie, and not in a 3D movie in e.g. Over/Under (Top & Bottom) format, whereas I read on internet that MakeMKV will automatically rip the 3D Blu Ray in Top & Bottom.

I know I need to use MakeMKV version 1.12.2 and not 1.12.3, as the newest version has some issues & errors.
So, I use 1.12.2, load the 3D Blu Ray, rip the correct MVC-3D file and it results seemingly in a 2D video file.
If I analyse the file using MediaInfo I see it says 'MultiView_Count: 2" and the format profile says "Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1", which makes me think there might actually be 2 video-streams, but I see only one. Also when I play the video file on my 3D TV, it shows only a 2D movie and the TV does not recognize the file as a 3D video.
Anyway, I expected MakeMKV will make a rip by having 2 screens above each other.

Can someone let me know if I do something wrong, or if this is the correct result?
If this is the correct result, how do I turn this in a 'true' SBS or OU 3D file? Because the current rip from MakeMKV my 3D-TV does not recognize this as a 3D video file...

Thanks for any help and response!
DaveCool

Re: 3D Blu Ray rip does not result in OU/TB screen

Post by DaveCool »

Thanks Woodstock, appreciated.
This is what I was looking for, but I was not able to search properly as '3D Rip' are too common words... :)

So, in short, the answer is:
Yes, the result from MakeMKV by ripping a 3D Blu Ray disc is correct; it looks like a 2D video file, however it rips the left and right eye frames RAW and stores the frames for each eye as TWO SEPARATE video streams inside the MKV files, also called "Frame packed". So, therefore you also see the analysis of MediaInfo with 'MultiView_Count: 2" and the format profile says "Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1".
So, it does not directly result in a video file with 3D as SBS or TAB.

The 3D video file resulting by MakeMKV can only be viewed using e.g. "StereoScopic Player", which requires a license.

I have however one followup question:
Once the 3D Blu Ray is ripped by MakeMKV, how do I turn this in a 3D video file with SBS or TAB? What program can I use for that, that reads the 3D MakeMKV file correctly?
That I could not find back in the links you provided.
DaveCool

Re: 3D Blu Ray rip does not result in OU/TB screen

Post by DaveCool »

OK, and the final step to conver the MakeMKV rip image to a SBS or TAB version:
You can use a tool called BD3D2MK3D. It works really well and results in a high quality SBS or TAB movie.

I have tried quite some other tools like AnyMP4, PavTube, etc, but they all seem not to properly read the MakeMKV image.
BD3D2MK3D works well!

Some more info a.o. here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-d ... yback.html