Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Mojo1940

Re: Can MakeMKV properly rip 3D Blu-rays?

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:33 am
Yeah, tsMuxeR should be able to do it. Just import PLAYLIST\00800.mpls and it should pick up everything as usual.
So, I just ran into one last issue with the b00tl&g copy that I have of Thor- Love and Thunder

The physical disc plays the 3d movie correct L/R eye, but when I use tsMuxeR to combine the 00000.m2ts and the 00001.m2ts files carefully putting the MVC in 2nd position... the L/R is reversed on the digital version on my SSD. Any idea how to fix that issue? Of every 3d movie I have... this is the ONLY one that has this problem that I know of... very weird.
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Mojo1940 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:51 pm
So, I just ran into one last issue with the b00tl&g copy that I have of Thor- Love and Thunder

The physical disc plays the 3d movie correct L/R eye, but when I use tsMuxeR to combine the 00000.m2ts and the 00001.m2ts files carefully putting the MVC in 2nd position... the L/R is reversed on the digital version on my SSD. Any idea how to fix that issue? Of every 3d movie I have... this is the ONLY one that has this problem that I know of... very weird.
tsMuxeR has an option in the Blu-ray tab called "Use base video stream for right eye" but you'll have to remux in Blu-ray mode instead of M2TS since that flag is stored in the blu-ray playlist (mpls file). On their own, the ts/m2ts files won't know which video track belongs to which eye.

Likewise, your player will need to load the remuxed blu-ray with the playlist, and not the m2ts directly. If that's troublesome, you could load the remuxed blu-ray in MakeMKV and output an mkv file with the right-eye-first flag intact.
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:06 am
tsMuxeR has an option in the Blu-ray tab called "Use base video stream for right eye" but you'll have to remux in Blu-ray mode instead of M2TS since that flag is stored in the blu-ray playlist (mpls file). On their own, the ts/m2ts files won't know which video track belongs to which eye.

Likewise, your player will need to load the remuxed blu-ray with the playlist, and not the m2ts directly. If that's troublesome, you could load the remuxed blu-ray in MakeMKV and output an mkv file with the right-eye-first flag intact.
I am not sure what "remux in Blu-ray mode" means exactly. And yes I would like to "load the remuxed blu-ray in MakeMKV and output an mkv file with the right-eye-first flag intact"
but I am not sure what the exact steps are to do that either.

I've only worked with 3d m2ts files, so everything else is totally unfamiliar to me.
Last edited by Mojo1940 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

I think I figured out what remux in blu-ray mode means now... select the "Bluray folder" and not the Bluray.ico
and I think I see it made the mpls playlist file with that right eye setting! Nice.

Now on to how to use MakeMKV the way you said...
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

I just did exactly what you said... and I did not realize that MakeMKV could open the bluray without it being on the DVD drive!
It read that bluray in SECONDS instead of 45 minutes! Nice!
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

So, after all that work it appears that my Sony UBP-X700 will not play the MKV file in 3D... only plays in 2D...
So, the problem is likely that the MKV file has the MVC file in position 1 and the AVC file in position 2... which is why the tsMuxeR defaults to MVC in position 1 most likely...

The only way to watch it in 3D is to flip the active glasses upside down and that is comfortable for about 2 minutes!!! lol
So next attempt is to use the BD3D2MK3D program and see if that will fix it... looks like it is very very slow at creating the file also... 45 minutes estimate...
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

There's one more thing you could try based on this comment.

Use tsMuxeR with the output type "AVCHD folder" and turn on "Use base video stream for right eye" like before. You'll get the two folders "BDMV" and "Certificate" in your output folder. Rename the output folder to AVCHD then copy it to a USB drive.

Suppose if your USB drive is on drive letter E: then the folder structure might go like
E:\AVCHD\BDMV
E:\AVCHD\Certificate

I obviously can't test since I don't have that video player. It'd be great to know if it works or not.
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:09 am
There's one more thing you could try based on this comment.

Use tsMuxeR with the output type "AVCHD folder" and turn on "Use base video stream for right eye" like before. You'll get the two folders "BDMV" and "Certificate" in your output folder. Rename the output folder to AVCHD then copy it to a USB drive.

Suppose if your USB drive is on drive letter E: then the folder structure might go like
E:\AVCHD\BDMV
E:\AVCHD\Certificate

I obviously can't test since I don't have that video player. It'd be great to know if it works or not.
This does not work for the same reason that the BluRay folder does not work... it does not treat the folder as the object... it only selects individual files for playback, so this forces the file to be a single remuxed file such as ts or m2ts... and those apparently cannot store the "Use base video stream for right eye" user setting... so that is strike 3.

So, my two options are: 1) flip the active glasses upside down or 2) Just play this one from the disc

The BD3D2MK3D SBS output format is not recognized by my Sony player either apparently... strike 4.
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Mojo1940 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:16 pm
This does not work for the same reason that the BluRay folder does not work... it does not treat the folder as the object... it only selects individual files for playback, so this forces the file to be a single remuxed file such as ts or m2ts... and those apparently cannot store the "Use base video stream for right eye" user setting... so that is strike 3.

So, my two options are: 1) flip the active glasses upside down or 2) Just play this one from the disc

The BD3D2MK3D SBS output format is not recognized by my Sony player either apparently... strike 4.
Well that sucks. As for BD3D2MK3D, the resulting video is supposed to be a regular 2D mkv file, and your display would handle splitting the left/right views from the SBS image, right?
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:44 pm
Well that sucks. As for BD3D2MK3D, the resulting video is supposed to be a regular 2D mkv file, and your display would handle splitting the left/right views from the SBS image, right?
The display never gets a chance to handle it because the USB input is on the UBP-X700 so it does all the heavy lifting, and it sucks at it.

Yes, and my son has a 55" passive LG from 2011 that can play the 2D mkv SBS files just fine... AND it plays these m2ts files perfectly using a Sony UBP-X800.
The LG has a setting on the TV where you can swap the L/R which is brilliant. (Sony 2016 XBR? Nothing on that...)

So, the Sony XBR-65X900B TV and UBP-X700 combo sucks basically... but only if the AVC has the right eye instead of the left... which is one out of 201 movies so far...
Except its 4k upscaling and 3D which is the "holy grail" combo for 3D home viewing (and 200 out of 201 are left eye = AVC)
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Mojo1940 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:36 pm
The display never gets a chance to handle it because the USB input is on the UBP-X700 so it does all the heavy lifting, and it sucks at it.

Yes, and my son has a 55" passive LG from 2011 that can play the 2D mkv SBS files just fine... AND it plays these m2ts files perfectly using a Sony UBP-X800.
The LG has a setting on the TV where you can swap the L/R which is brilliant. (Sony 2016 XBR? Nothing on that...)

So, the Sony XBR-65X900B TV and UBP-X700 combo sucks basically... but only if the AVC has the right eye instead of the left... which is one out of 201 movies so far...
Except its 4k upscaling and 3D which is the "holy grail" combo for 3D home viewing (and 200 out of 201 are left eye = AVC)
BD3D2MK3D should be able to detect the right-eye-first flag from the mpls file and arrange the SBS views accordingly. But if it's wrong, you can manually edit the __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs file that it creates before you encode.

Open that avs file in a text editor and look for these two lines:

Code: Select all

left  = SelectEven(interleaved)
right = SelectOdd(interleaved)
and swap the "left" and "right" items around.

After editing, it should go like:

right = SelectEven(interleaved)
left = SelectOdd(interleaved)
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:19 am
BD3D2MK3D should be able to detect the right-eye-first flag from the mpls file and arrange the SBS views accordingly. But if it's wrong, you can manually edit the __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs file that it creates before you encode.
I think the answer might be to trade my Sony XBR TV in for an LG OLED65E6P, OLED65C6P, or OLED65G6P. The C is curved of which I am not a huge fan, so E6 or G6.
Those are passive 3D with 4k and a ton of them have burn-in by July 2024 since those were last made in December 2016.

The LG can use the m2ts files that I have already created from my 201 3d Blu-ray collection and just tap the SWAP L/R button. And I have found another beside Thor- Love and Thunder and it is called Bait. So, I am sure the list will grow longer as I watch them from my backups!

Unless there is a way of swapping the order of the files inside the MKV... if that can be done I think you said the MKV has the ability to save the playlist file???
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Mojo1940 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:14 pm
Unless there is a way of swapping the order of the files inside the MKV... if that can be done I think you said the MKV has the ability to save the playlist file???
The mkv format can retain some details of the playlist, like chapters or the right-eye-first flag, but the playlist itself isn't saved in mkv files. There's no guarantee that all video players will recognize the flag in mkv, so you may have to rely on your TV to swap left/right anyway.

If you have existing mkv files to adjust, a tool like mkvtoolnix-gui / mkvmerge can set the "video stereo mode" (or "stereoscopy") option for the video track. For MVC video, mode 13 or 14 is used.

0  mono
 1  side by side (left first)
 2  top bottom (right first)
 3  top bottom (left first)
 4  checkerboard (right first)
 5  checkerboard (left first)
 6  row interleaved (right first)
 7  row interleaved (left first)
 8  column interleaved (right first)
 9  column interleaved (left first)
10  anaglyph (cyan/red)
11  side by side (right first)
12  anaglyph (green/magenta)
13  both eyes laced in one block (left first)
14  both eyes laced in one block (right first)
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

I figured something out last night that SHOULD allow me to watch these few "right eye" AVC movies! I can plug a USB directly into my Sony TV and it will recognize the SBS format automatically, so using that BD3D2MK3D program I should be able to create a "correct" SBS file. I have found 16 of 201 movies need this SBS MKV.

Update: Thor SBS works! So, I am going to do the other 15 I have found as SBS MKVs... and probably get an LG OLED65E6P eventually... or some kind of VR headset

FYI: You can use the BD3D2MK3D to see which MKVs use the Right Eye as the AVC file, so instead of having to figure that out by watching each movie... this is a real time saver.

Further Update: The movie Bait 3D has an issue that crashes the tsMuxeR file... I got around this issue by selecting the TrueHD Audio checkbox and using the 2-pass option.

FINAL Update: BD3D2MK3D is TOTAL GARBAGE for making 3D SBS movies... I would rather buy an LG or flip the active Sony glasses upside down than waste any more time trying to get that piece of crap to work. Only thing its good for is to quickly find the "right eye" files and put them in a "Right Eye" folder. I'm deleting it off my computer!!! GONE!!!
The issue is that you get crap picture quality and the second you try to improve that the software starts crashing and the end result won't even play right... so t-r-a-S-H IT! lol
Mojo1940

Post by Mojo1940 »

segfaulted wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:50 pm
For MVC video, mode 13 or 14 is used.
13 both eyes laced in one block (left first)
14 both eyes laced in one block (right first)
The main issue with this is that the MKV has the MVC first and the AVC second, so the damn thing won't play in 3D as we know... and I think I get the reason why it was done this way now. The 00000.m2ts file contains a bunch of files and so if it was first the MVC file would be at the very bottom. The 00001.m2ts only contains the MVC file, so if it is placed first all you have to do is move it down one spot instead of moving it up 5 or more spots. And MVC file MUST be second and nowhere else for it to work based on my experience.

Update: The MVC cannot be FIRST... but it can be anything else in an m2ts file. So, if that is true maybe changing the order in the MKV is all that is preventing that from working???