Ripping 3D Bluray seems to only produce a 2D MKV

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
ewok_shaver

Ripping 3D Bluray seems to only produce a 2D MKV

Post by ewok_shaver »

The MKV I produce when I try to rip a 3D Bluray seems to only contain a single video stream. I am definitely ticking the checkbox for the second vid stream when the ripping options come up, but as far as I can tell the end file only contains a single video stream. (And upon examining that single stream, there is no evidence of it being 2 videos mashed together, i.e. one on top of the other/beside the other, etc.) I have checked it with multiple video and MKV examining tools and there are absolutely no indications that a second vid stream exists within the file.

What made me suspicious right from the start was that the MKV was only 20GB for a 90-minute movie. I've ripped 2D Blurays with MakeMKV before and this is the usually the size that they amount to when they're only carrying one video stream. In other words, my MKV is half the size it should be.

But there's a weird thing about this size discrepancy - in the "Computer" window, the icon for my BluRay drive says that the disc within is only 20GB in size - but when I actually explore the contents of the disc, there's more like 40GB of data actually on there! Is it just me, or is this a really suspicious coincidence - that my computer is mis-reporting the size of the Bluray by half and that the MKVs MakeMKV is producing are also only half the size they ought to be?

Previously, whenever I've ripped a BluRay or DVD, the MKV MakeMKV produces is typically quite close to the overall size of the source disc (minus the size of special features, menus, etc., of course). This is a reassuring fact that assures me there has been little to no quality loss during the ripping process. So I'd hope and expect a successful rip of this 3D Bluray to be about 40GB in size.

What should I do to make this Bluray rip properly with both video tracks?
Woodstock

Re: Ripping 3D Bluray seems to only produce a 2D MKV

Post by Woodstock »

Size discrepancy - if there are multiple titles made up from pieces of files (director's cut and similar), there can be a total file size that exceeds the total data on the disk.

If the 3D MVC track was checked, it should have been copied to the MKV file. Maybe there is something in the debug log that would say why it was missed. Make sure debug logging is turned on, and try the rip again.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
andi219

Post by andi219 »

Hello,
have you marked the mvc stream after read out the bluray disc?
ewok_shaver

Post by ewok_shaver »

Woodstock wrote:Size discrepancy - if there are multiple titles made up from pieces of files (director's cut and similar), there can be a total file size that exceeds the total data on the disk.
But isn't the total data simply a sum of all the file sizes on the disc? Okay, you might get a bit of a discrepency when you factor in the extra space for a file table and some unfilled clusters, but those wouldn't cause a 20GB discrepency in the reported disc size.
Woodstock wrote:If the 3D MVC track was checked, it should have been copied to the MKV file. Maybe there is something in the debug log that would say why it was missed. Make sure debug logging is turned on, and try the rip again.
Did. And there's only one statement in the log that doesn't seem above board:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Code 2147483648 at sOvXbpqt9^7}HS}M:121265315
I can't make hide nor hair of this. Is this even an error, or is it a normal diagnostic statement?

andi219 wrote:Hello,
have you marked the mvc stream after read out the bluray disc?
Uh, not sure I understand this. If you are asking whether I ticked the checkbox for ripping the MVC stream when I did the rip, then yes, I did.
ewok_shaver

Post by ewok_shaver »

Still no help for this? :(
Shamoo

Post by Shamoo »

i had the same problem converting Termintor Genisys 3D, made i sure i ticked Mpeg-MVC-3D but it only displays it as 2D when playing it on the TV
Stephen304

Post by Stephen304 »

Shamoo wrote:i had the same problem converting Termintor Genisys 3D, made i sure i ticked Mpeg-MVC-3D but it only displays it as 2D when playing it on the TV
This is more likely a problem with your video player. I also ripped Terminator Genisys and it plays fine in 3D. I would recommend trying to play it with Stereoscopic Player or Nvidia 3D Vision Video Player (They're basically the same program), and you should get an over-under display of the 2 perspectives if it's been ripped correctly.

I don't have a 3D TV, but from what I've read, you may have to manually set your TV into 3D mode as well as playing the file in a player capable of displaying the 3D data (either as over/under, side-by-side, interleaved, whatever your TV is compatible with). Note that VLC doesn't support MVC, which is a pain.